Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:14:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica's Song
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harmonica's Song  (Read 4098 times)
Scuffy
Road Apple

"Nah, you don't know how to play"

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2004, 11:44:25 PM »

I just got the OUATITW DVD in the mail guys! (Yeah, it took me a while to order it. Undecided ) It took me a second to start from the main menu because I was on the phone at the time. I kept listening to the windmill over and over and over. After starting it and getting right to the part where we first hear Harmonica playing... well- the harmonica, in my opinion it sounds slighty (I stress the word "slightyly") like he is mimicking the sound of the windmill. What are your opinions on this. Am I just crazy?!  Grin Grin

« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 11:47:09 PM by Scuffy » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 11:44:40 PM »

I just got the OUATITW DVD in the mail guys! (Yeah, it took me a while to order it. Undecided ) It took me a second to start from the main menu because I was on the phone at the time. I kept listening to the windmill over and over and over. After starting it and getting right to the part where we first hear Harmonica playing... well- the harmonica, in my opinion it sounds slighty (I stress the word "slightyly") like he is mimicking the sound of the windmill. What are your opinions on this. Am I just crazy?!  Grin Grin
the peice harmonica plays means many things to many different people.  it could be windmills, frank's death song, or  harmonica reflecing on the trama he went through, as a child, losing his brother. it seems more like
the musical pocket watch from FFDM.  it's a morricone score used to build tension as we hear it over and over through out OUATITW.  i could be 100% wrong. i'm just guessing. two words. repeated viewing. that is, one day harmonica's song could lead you to a conclusion. another day, while watching, you hear it again and form a whole new opinion. the main thing is you thought of the windmill.  you connected, posted your thoughts and parcipated.  experienced it.  

« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 10:35:04 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Scuffy
Road Apple

"Nah, you don't know how to play"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 07:25:40 AM »

Very true. I finally got to watch it all the way through last night instead of my normal two or three segment viewings.  I did feel differently about Harmonica's tune this time. It does change each time. Great movie.  Grin

hailclinteastwood
Chicken Thief

fastest draw in scotland

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 11:11:04 AM »

it allways reminded me of a variation that he played when frank first put it in his mouth. that heavy breathing that he was doing when his brothers weight was beaming down on him. maby he invented a new song using the sound of the harmonica that was so etched in his mind

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 02:52:38 PM »

About the breathing, I read on a site about Ennio Morricone, that the "breathing effect" had been obtained by strangling the harmonica player during the recording of the music, according to Ennio himself.  Leone strangled him (F.d Gemini), but he survived , I reassure you.

And about the music, I've you noticed that the harmonica song at the end is longer than any version you can have on CD. In Cd's we've got a simplified version.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:50:10 AM »

And I believe that Harmonica never plays it during Frank's presence...

threedusters
Road Apple

sons of bitch's though!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 08:43:06 PM »

Jeez!, it's a windmill guy's Huh

"You  bring a horse for me?,  "well, looks like...................looks like  where shy one horse!.  "You brought two too many"
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 07:41:21 AM »

Sorry to be a little off topic, but I have always wondered if Charles Bronson did play his armonica on the set or was he pretending to do it? I konw it was all dubbed, but despite, did he emit any sound?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM