Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:35:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il grande duello aka Grand Duel (1972)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Il grande duello aka Grand Duel (1972)  (Read 23989 times)
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2017, 05:07:37 PM »

I couldn't agree more it's a 5-6/10 at best. The big question has always been for me is why Lee Van Cleef never got a bounce like Eastwood from the Dollars Films, hell even on the strength of For A Few Dollars More alone.

Me too.  Imagine if he and Clint made a few American Westerns together.  He has a screen presence that i think rivals Clint, and in a way, MIGHT be even better. I like Death Rides a Horse and Sabata. I have yet to see the Big Gundown, Day of Anger, etc.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »

Me too.  Imagine if he and Clint made a few American Westerns together.  He has a screen presence that i think rivals Clint, and in a way, MIGHT be even better. I like Death Rides a Horse and Sabata. I have yet to see the Big Gundown, Day of Anger, etc.

You have some of the better ones ahead of you. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »

The Musical Score.  Whoever wrote the main theme ( Sergio Bardotti or Luis Enrique) wrote a masterpiece that rivals anything that Ennio Morricone ever did.

I had always thought it was Bacalov's work. Was it possibly not him?

The big question has always been for me is why Lee Van Cleef never got a bounce like Eastwood from the Dollars Films, hell even on the strength of For A Few Dollars More alone.

LVC's best SW outside of FAFDM and GBU was certainly The Big Gundown which turned into more of a vehicle for launching Tomas Milian's career than LVC's

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2017, 08:47:24 PM »

I had always thought it was Bacalov's work. Was it possibly not him?

LVC's best SW outside of FAFDM and GBU was certainly The Big Gundown which turned into more of a vehicle for launching Tomas Milian's career than LVC's

Luis Enriquez Bacalov...  Its the SAME man. He is just called Luis Enriquez in some credits.  Yes, he wrote that music.  Apparently its also been spelled Enrique.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:50:35 PM by Moorman » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2017, 02:10:03 AM »

LvC was for some years very popular in Italy, but he also was a drunk and he aged quickly after GBU. His Spags made after GBU were all quite successful in Italy, but in the 70s after the Sabata films his career went also quickly down the river because he starred only in weak films.

I don't think that he was an actor to become a really big star like Eastwood. His career in Hollywood never was one and before Leone reshaped him even this career was at a low point. He was in the Spags always paired with a younger actor at his side, somehow never the real hero, even when he got the leading credit.

Main problem was of course that his films and his directors after GBU were mostly less good than the previous ones. So maybe he just chose only the wrong films. Somehow indeed a loss as I know a lot of good Spags which could have benefited from him. Like Run Man Run (Sollima) or The Bounty Killer (Eugenio Martin) or Indio Black (Parolini).

Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2017, 05:41:16 AM »

Lee Van Cleef clearly was the leading actor in the spaghetti movies i've seen him in. One of the main problems of The Grand Duel is the guy they have opposite him playing Phillips.  Almost the same can be said for Death Rides a Horse.  Van Cleef's problems weren't on screen, it was the material always given him.  

Outside of Clint and the Duke, i can think of no other actor that has the PRESENCE that Van Cleef has in Westerns.  His was a wasted talent...  If he was too old, it was because he didn't get the same opportunity that a younger Clint and John Wayne got...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:42:41 AM by Moorman » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »

Lee Van Cleef clearly was the leading actor in the spaghetti movies i've seen him in. One of the main problems of The Grand Duel is the guy they have opposite him playing Phillips.  Almost the same can be said for Death Rides a Horse.  Van Cleef's problems weren't on screen, it was the material always given him.  

Outside of Clint and the Duke, i can think of no other actor that has the PRESENCE that Van Cleef has in Westerns.  His was a wasted talent...  If he was too old, it was because he didn't get the same opportunity that a younger Clint and John Wayne got...

He was the leading actor in most, but still was mostly partnered with a younger actor.

But there are many, many, many actors which have a great western charisma, and many of them were better actors than LvC or Wayne or Eastwood. Too much to name here.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »

Luis Enriquez Bacalov...  Its the SAME man. He is just called Luis Enriquez in some credits.  Yes, he wrote that music.  Apparently its also been spelled Enrique.

I thought you were suggesting that Luis Enrique Bacalov didn't compose it and that Sergio Bardotti did instead?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2017, 09:55:16 PM »

I thought you were suggesting that Luis Enrique Bacalov didn't compose it and that Sergio Bardotti did instead?

Sergio Bardotti was a most eminent lyricist (BTW, he wrote the lyrics for the football team I root for). Never wrote music, as far as I know. And anyway couldn't write anything like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQB2VJYIrbE

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM