Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:03:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I giorni dell'ira aka Day of Anger (1967)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What do you think of it?
Must see   -4 (25%)
Great   -4 (25%)
Good   -4 (25%)
Ok   -3 (18.8%)
Bad   -0 (0%)
Terrible   -1 (6.3%)
I wish I could turn back time and never see it   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: I giorni dell'ira aka Day of Anger (1967)  (Read 29476 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2005, 09:00:10 AM »

Hex,how long exactly is this (i assume) uncut print of Day of Anger and what extra scenes does it have over the cut versions-my copy is about 90 minutes?

HEX
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2005, 09:29:56 AM »

Hex,how long exactly is this (i assume) uncut print of Day of Anger and what extra scenes does it have over the cut versions-my copy is about 90 minutes?

the supposed uncut version WILD EAST made is exactly 111minutes

however i have a suspicion that there is at least one scene cut. due to the shotgun that VAN CLEEF has in the cover art. any other time i would have put this by me as just cover art to make it look more interesting.

however some one on this board awhile back said that the gun was featured in the film. however since it is supposed to be a "uncut" i imagine this person was lying just to make it seem to people that he or she saw the film. and in reality did not.

which is stupid because why would they lie about a scene that is not in the film? is there not evidence of them lying. they can be proven wrong just by watching the film. anyway there are just people out there seeking  attention. i remember my senior year in high school(which was just a few months ago) when REVENGE OF THE SITH was coming out about two weeks prior this kid in class boasted that he had a bootleg of the film already. he told me all the stuff that was in the film(which never even was in the film at all) like for example

DARTH VADER in the suit trying out his new lightsaber on five stormtroopers.

and KIT FISTO being beheaded by PALPATINE after the scuffle with WINDU

all that is obviously not in the film at all.
i begged him to let me see the boot leg at the time and it was always some grand excuse as to why he forgot it at home.

sometimes people are such pricks.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 09:31:34 AM by HEX » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2005, 05:32:52 AM »

Thanks Hex,i stupidly got this film confused with the Grand Duel-also on a  Wildeast dvd but the information was still useful because i only have Day of Anger on the UK Gun Law video.
Do you know anything about the uncut Grand Duel as regards extra footage?

HEX
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2005, 07:54:25 AM »

Thanks Hex,i stupidly got this film confused with the Grand Duel-also on a  Wildeast dvd but the information was still useful because i only have Day of Anger on the UK Gun Law video.
Do you know anything about the uncut Grand Duel as regards extra footage?

funny u should ask, i pre-ordered my copy of the uncut GRAND DUEL from wild east about two weeks ago, and it should be arriving today(i hope) and if not sometime this week. i dont know much about the film myself(which is good i can be surprised then) but it comes to my understanding that the only dvd version of it is heavily cut. and the other(alternate title) STORM RIDER has other cuts as well.

when i watch it i will give  a full review on it and hopefully u can learn more about it.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 08:02:14 AM by HEX » Logged
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2005, 08:00:08 AM »

Hi Hex,i asked you about Grand Duel before finding out from Marco that this movie will be shown(uncut hopefully) soon in the UK as part of the ITV4 SW season!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2005, 12:00:47 AM »

i'm sure that will happy as i bought it not long ago!

That could just be cannon fire.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2005, 12:14:51 PM »

The thing that is most dissapointing about the release is the audio. The print looks fantastic, I wish it was in anamorphic but we can't have everything, but the English audio does seem to have suffered. Moving from good to bad to non existant quality. I appreciate the jon Wild East have done and the fact that the sound is probably bad because it was hard to track down the missing scenes in their full, but it also occurs in their release of Pistoleros which has a gorgeous print (again taken from the Italian version) but dreadful English soundtrack.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2006, 02:33:05 PM »

I just watched this again today, and dropped my initial rating down a notch. For me what works is the Bowie & Almeria sequences but the Cinecitta or Elios studios and interiors really aren't up to Leone & Carlo Simi's high standards.

The Clifton set sections seemed off and since this last viewing I think I figured out why, for one thing I noticed a glaring lack of horses, lol, check out Talbys arrival there isn't a horse on the street, barely any wagons either, you'll notice the same for a lot of the last 20 minutes, no extras no horses. Like there wasn't the budget for horses or extras.  The other wierd/off looking set details was the over use of green potted plants scattered all around the town, like the set designer was a woman, lol, not that there is anything wrong with that but it doesn't have that rough and ready wild west look its a bit too tidy. There is also a wierd looking catwalk/pedestrian overpass which with the lack of street traffic seems superfluous and a tremendous waste of lumber. The 45 Saloon is a bit over the top too.

The first time I watched it I was pretty enthralled with seeing Lee Van Cleef in another SW.  The story which is ok & not too bad, but could have been much better, also from the sound cuts it sounds like a few scenes were clipped and it may have been longer yet.

Also Valleri isn't in the same league with Leone there was one scene where Van Cleef taps his glass on the table and there is a cut to the judge pounding on the gavel that could have been a much better transition,  think of what Leone would have done with that.

Low budget does show in the product.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2006, 09:02:24 PM »

The explanation maybe is that they want to keep the city clean, which has very much to do with Gemma's unusual introduction as a city sweeper. The absence of horses and the presence of plant pots are in rhyme with the image of a city extremely sensible to dirt but whose eminent citizens are , on the contrary, the filthiest people around.
This is one of the best SW I saw, apart from Leone's and Trinity-Nobody. It has defects but I was overwhelmed by the many good things. The cynicism (is there anyone who wasn't surprised by the girl's setting a trap for Gemma?), the practical resolution of apparent insoluble moral debates, the  no-message  stance. LVC is superb, Gemma tolerable in a harder role than usual for him. Also lots of good german faces in secondary roles. Soundtrack not good but unobtrusive.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2006, 09:47:56 PM »

The explanation maybe is that they want to keep the city clean, which has very much to do with Gemma's unusual introduction as a city sweeper. The absence of horses and the presence of plant pots are in rhyme with the image of a city extremely sensible to dirt but whose eminent citizens are , on the contrary, the filthiest people around.

Grin maybe, but for a western town not to have horses just seems off to me  Grin 

For some reason I'm aware that the town is a set. Another thing you notice is the walls at the end of the set, especially around the 45 Saloon to either side instead of open alleys you have walls, also around the church, its shot it such a way that its noticeable

« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 09:55:25 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2006, 02:25:36 AM »

You have points there, I admit it, and the sets are highly artificial. But also is unprobable having a person sweeping the dirt.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2006, 06:29:03 AM »

I think the back story of Scott Mary cleaning up the chamber pots, & sweeping up was great, don't get me wrong, thats probable, you see the old street sweeper trash can on wagon wheels with holders for brooms & shovels in the antique shops here.  It just looks as if they ran out of money for horses.

This just reminds me of something I just read in Fraylings "Once Upon A Time in Italy" I think its a Leone quote where he's telling the story of how some films didn't have enough money and they were shooting week to week as funds came in and would change the story to fit what they could afford

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2006, 07:48:21 AM »

Interesting points CJ.  Can I add your thoughts to my reviews page?

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »

Grin maybe, but for a western town not to have horses just seems off to me  Grin 

For some reason I'm aware that the town is a set. Another thing you notice is the walls at the end of the set, especially around the 45 Saloon to either side instead of open alleys you have walls, also around the church, its shot it such a way that its noticeable

I think the set is the one at Elios  that Leone used in GBU for the first town that Blondie & Tuco arrive at. Maybe someone can confirm or correct this.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2006, 04:51:41 PM »

Sure Marco Leone use it on your site no problem here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM