Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2020, 06:29:01 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I giorni dell'ira aka Day of Anger (1967)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
: What do you think of it?
Must see   -4 (25%)
Great   -4 (25%)
Good   -4 (25%)
Ok   -3 (18.8%)
Bad   -0 (0%)
Terrible   -1 (6.3%)
I wish I could turn back time and never see it   -0 (0%)
: 14

: I giorni dell'ira aka Day of Anger (1967)  ( 41559 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #60 : October 04, 2009, 02:35:09 PM »

Yes, it's nothing special. An ok western if you like SWs. And Valerii's directing is not very inspired, only routine with an astonishing lack of atmosphere.
The script has an interesting structure with all the father figures and incomplete and  dysfunctional "families" around Scott Mary and his search for an identity and a name, but in the end not too much is made out of it. At least nothing which could transcend the genre.

Still a good enough SW and the best of the 4 westerns Valerii made before Nobody, and surely a reason why I don't think that Valerii was responsible for the often brilliant directing of My Name Is Nobody, even if he actually was in the directing chair for most of it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #61 : October 04, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »

We'd have to agree to disagree, as I find MNIN is very much in tune with Valerii's films.

I quite like The Price of Power, although it has its own flaws and I wouldn't put it on the level of Death Rides a Horse, Sollima's films, or Corbucci's best works. MNIN is pretty mediocre if you ask me, whether or not you wish to blame/credit Leone or Valerii.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #62 : October 04, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »

But MNIN is really brilliantly directed imo. Despite having structural flaws I always enjoyed and admired the style. while all of Valerii's other westerns could be (and should be) better if they weren't so blandly directed.

Well, in The Price of Power Valerii was indeed trying to do more than being a lame copy of Leone, but he succeeded only partly.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #63 : October 04, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »

Aside from a new nice scenes (quite possibly Leone's work) Nobody's underwhelming, even on the style side. Certainly based on what I've seen, I wouldn't put him on the Top-Tier of Spaghetti directors.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #64 : May 23, 2010, 05:02:29 AM »

After watching a series of those early 1 hour long American crap-sterns watching this is like waking up from a nightmare and finding out you ended in heaven. Just the sweet nectar I needed to get that filthy poison out of my system. I guess I can understand why it's so easy for people to hit this film with technicality issues, as much as I don't like saying it - they might have a point, but, I just can not understand that there are people that didn't enjoy the characters and everything else, even if watching those nasty old cuts. Not one single minute of boredom while watching it. LVC and Giuliano Gemma great together, such a great chemistry, same with the supporting cast.

I thought, while I was younger, Scott Mary was actually cleaning spit-jars. What a fool.

I'd say Il mio nome è Nessuno is Tonino Valerii's best Western (and movie, though I haven't seen them all); it has more style and flavor and the characters are bigger, making the whole picture bigger, the soundtrack's better as well, but paradoxically there's more than one scene I like to skip while watching it, whereas here I can't find a single one.

8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #65 : May 23, 2010, 05:07:03 AM »

I forgot to add it also very probably contains Al Mulock's finest acting hour.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #66 : May 23, 2010, 06:16:01 AM »

After watching a series of those early 1 hour long American crap-sterns

Which one's ???, I'm curious. Some like Bonanza, Big Valley, High Chaparral, Gunsmoke, were like that, often overly melodramatic crap, others were better, also I've found that a lot of these TV Western individual episodes lived and died by their writers and directors, they weren't always the same.

Rawhide and Maverick which were very good on average excelled on a few episodes where the writing & directing meshed.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #67 : May 23, 2010, 08:12:37 AM »

Which one's ???, I'm curious. Some like Bonanza, Big Valley, High Chaparral, Gunsmoke, were like that, often overly melodramatic crap, others were better, also I've found that a lot of these TV Western individual episodes lived and died by their writers and directors, they weren't always the same.

Rawhide and Maverick which were very good on average excelled on a few episodes where the writing & directing meshed.

Nah, those short movies from the 20s/30s/40s I opened topics for. I won't even bother checking those television series' with hundreds of episodes, I tried a couple of times and they're almost as boring as telenovelas to me.

funkie junkie
Road Apple

« #68 : July 09, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »

Just watched this... sergio leone used so many of the same locations....

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #69 : July 10, 2011, 06:20:51 AM »

I like the Almeria sequences a lot, it just seems as if they ran out of money on the Clifton Elios Sets, if you notice the town has no people, no horses, no wagons, nothing sort of devoid of life in quite a few shots.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #70 : July 10, 2011, 06:44:32 AM »

It's decent.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #71 : July 10, 2011, 07:19:57 AM »

And then some.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #72 : September 05, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »

And then some.

Exceedingly mediocre then?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #73 : January 15, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »

The first hour is excellent, the second is merely good enough. It doesn't cash in on its potential but it still moved a good clip and was entertaining throughout. Solid score.

On a side note, they should have used another voice actor for Gemma's English dub.

Great locations too

« : January 15, 2012, 12:48:41 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #74 : October 09, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines