Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 07:57:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I giorni dell'ira aka Day of Anger (1967)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What do you think of it?
Must see   -4 (25%)
Great   -4 (25%)
Good   -4 (25%)
Ok   -3 (18.8%)
Bad   -0 (0%)
Terrible   -1 (6.3%)
I wish I could turn back time and never see it   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: I giorni dell'ira aka Day of Anger (1967)  (Read 30329 times)
The_Gringo
Road Apple

Duck, You sucker!!!

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2004, 12:20:44 AM »

Has anyone else seen this film? I believe it was directed by Leone's assistant director for some of his films Tonino Valleri. Lee Van Cleef is great (as usual) and Al Muloch's small performance is fun too. I loved the duel scene with Van Cleef having to use a musket on horse back. The whole lesson thing was fun too. Good Spag, not great.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 01:12:53 AM »

i havent seen it myself but i believe its better known as Day of Anger and it co-stars Giuliano Gemma (from Ringo films).

Supposed to be one of the better non-leone Spaghetti Westerns.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 06:54:25 AM »

Fully Restored widescreen- Lee Van Cleef, Giuliano Gemma, directed by Leone assitant Tonnino Valleri

Got this in the mail the other day was surfing Amazon and saw they had a few offers its usually out of print or can be had for $ 34 + dollars from Wild East. Got it for $21 plus shipping. Now is the time to get a few if there are any left.

Watched about 20 minutes late last night and so far I'm impresed. I'll give a full report later today.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:48:49 AM »

I am really interested in seeing valerii's other films... Day of Anger/My Dear Killer/A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die/Unscrupulous

Too bad they are all but impossible to see... they sound good... i see the first three on dvd at ebay once in a while... too bad i never have any money when they are around.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 10:52:38 AM by grandpa_chum » Logged

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 04:33:44 PM »

Day Of Anger (1967)

Ok watched it through today and got to say it was a good flick, not Leone but Valerii learned very well (Leones Assitant Driector for AFFOD and FAFDM.)

I'm always leary of non Leone SW's but this one passed my test. Wild East DVD

Time, Doc Holliday is dead (Doc passed in 1887) so that puts this at least in the 1890's. The place the Southwest, near the Mexican border, a town called Clifton. Its mentioned in the early scenes that gunplay is now quite rare, the west is getting tame. Scott (Gemma) is a bastard orphan, he works at the livery stable, sweeps up, and makes the rounds of the town in the morning with a barrel cart for the emptying of the night's chamber pots the "sh*t detail". He's treated horribly by the bigwigs of the town, low on the totem pole.  

The old owner of the stable treats him well and has told him stories of the OK Corral and shown him the art of the quick draw which he practices with a wooden gun and an old holster tied on his hip with a rope.

Talby an ex outlaw (Lee Van Cleef) rides into town and stops to talk with Scott as he is sweeping. He asks about a hotel and a stable and Scott gives him the info. Talby likes the kid and he offers Scott a dollar if he'd stable his horse. Tells him to come over to the saloon to pick up the dollar when he's done.

Scott showing up at the Saloon angers the owner and the patrons. Talby defends him and shoots down one of the more beligerant ones after he tries to throw down on him. Talby is cleared at an inquest and leaves for a border town caled Bowie. Gemma gets on is mule and follows, in the desert Talby gets the drop on Scott and tells him that if he wants to learn the art of the gunslinger he's got to learn a few lessons.

In Bowie, Talby is looking for Wild Jack (Al Mulock) his old partner, seems as if Murdock and Talby pulled off a job in Abilene that netted $100,000 Talby got caught and served time and Mulock got screwed by his associates who were supposed to provide alibis and launder the money, these associates are all now respectable citizens of Clifton, its similar in plot to Death Rides a Horse in that respect. Wild Jack sends his men to ambush Talby after he fingers his associates but ends up shooting it out and getting killed by Talby.

Van Cleef plays sort of a cross between Angel Eyes and Col. Mortimer. He dresses in the last half of the film exactly like Mortimer, but he's a cold hearted killer like Angel Eyes with one difference he got a vengfull mean streak. He comes back to Clifton and with Scott in appreticeship proceeds to take over the town by blackmail and killing.  

Vallerii does a great job with everthing, the smallest details of the sets are great, his town sets are a bit more prosperous and cleaner looking than Leones, more fresh paint and a lot of red interiors. You even see Marisol's small house set from AFFOD used as a ranch house. The soundtrack is not Morricone, more traditional Hollywood but acceptable.

Van Cleef plays his badass old man master gunfrighter self to a "T", you wont be disapointed to add this to your collection, Gemma is good as Van Cleefs apprentice back to turn the tables on his old oppressors, there are no false notes in the story.

On the Plus side there is also a good interview with Gemma in the extras that adds to your knowledge of the SW genre and the times they were made. Also a comparison of location shots using short clips from the film followed by a what it looks like today's still.

Worth getting, if you like Van Cleef. Try Amazon first before Wild East.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 04:37:45 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
leonefan
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 05:31:27 PM »

Is the one on Amazon the same as the one on the WildEast website?  If not, are any of them anamorphic widescreen?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 09:13:31 PM »

Is the one on Amazon the same as the one on the WildEast website?  If not, are any of them anamorphic widescreen?

Yes same one & widescreen

leonefan
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 09:51:13 PM »

What I meant was is it anamorphic or letterbox widescreen?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 04:37:50 AM »

Letterbox yes

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 11:18:59 AM »

what luck! A reason to live, A reason to die is on showtime today!

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 01:55:22 PM »

I've only seen the UK print "Gunlaw", which is heavily edited - and I think (judging by the fact that I'm not sure I really enjoyed it) edited out most of the good bits!  In fairness, I've heard the full print is a great film.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 01:27:46 PM »

Well, the more I hear about it, the more I think I should drop kick the copy of "Gunlaw" out of the window, and shell out for the full "Day of Anger".

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Francoesque
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 02:25:26 PM »

I've seen this film in two versions - one a VHS from a UK company called Moonstone who used to release cut-to-hell spaghetti westerns. In this incarnation the film was was retitled "Gun Law" and trimmed to 60 minutes (with the edits being very noticable and looking like they had hacked it together with two VHS machines by pressing record and pause between scenes!). This version was pretty much all of the gunfights strung together with every other scene missing The other I borrowed from a lecturer whilst I was at university and featured the full 126-or-so minute cut in Italian (translation was provided live by an Italian friend).

Even in the cut version, this impressed with the dynamism and inventiveness of the action scenes. In the full version, this is a minor masterpiece.

The plot involves the callow Gemma being taken on as sidekick to Lee Van Cleef, who teaches him the tricks of the gunfighter's trade. The main body of the film is a succession of one on one duels, each staged differently - including the one which particularly impressed me and was referenced by The Gringo above - which takes place with Van Cleef and his opponent riding on horseback at full speed at one another whilst loading muskets. Van Cleef spits his musket ball down the barrel just in time to take out his opponent. The intercutting between the two riders, the booming score and the last second victory for Van Cleef are all handled brilliantly.

In these scenes, Valerii shows that he learned an awful lot from Sergio about dynamic framing and editing. The images zing off the screen. The relationship between the two men grows in a father-son dynamic, only for Gemma to develop a conscience and decide to stand up to the murderous Van Cleef in a fantastically set up final shootout. To date, I know of no DVD release, which is a tragedy. Hopefully Blue Underground or Anchor Bay will pick it up.

Valerii's most famous Western is My Name is Nobody, which Sergio wrote, but much about this film has already been written.

For me, his other key Western is the see-it-to-believe-it "Price of Power", which restages the JFK assassination in 1881 Dallas (the many blatant parallels include the president - James Garfield in this case - getting shot by a hidden rifleman whilst touring Dallas in his Presidential carriage), with a black labourer set up as a patsy. Giulliano Gemma stars again as a sheriff who won't let the conspiracy stand and investigates, finding what Oliver Stone would later refer to as the "Military Industrial Complex" is to blame. It's a fine example of the political spaghetti westerns such as A Bullet for the General and Face to Face. And it's audacity in tackling the assassination so openly in 1969 is worth of a gasp or two and some praise.

His non-Western filmography includes a fine giallo, My Dear Killer, starring George Hilton, which is available on DVD.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 02:35:42 PM by Francoesque » Logged
Tucos wife
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 01:37:42 PM »

Is that the one where Lee trains the young town dope to become a gunfighter and then he turns against him?

Tuco Benedito Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 03:34:27 PM »

Yea, the town errand, sweeper, stablehand, road apple & chamber pot collection sanitaion man, Scott Mary.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM