Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:32:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Going South (1978)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going South (1978)  (Read 3110 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »

Found a DVD of this at Virgin on Times Square, NYC. I forgot what a great comedy Western Going South is.

It was directed by Jack Nicholson and stars Jack Nicholson as outlaw Henry Lloyd Moon with  Mary Steenburgen as Julia Tate / Moon (in her screen debut) and  Christopher Lloyd, John Belushi (in his debut) Richard Bradford , Danny DeVito, and  Ed Begley Jr.

This film is another American Western that has some SW influences including picaresque characters & situations, its even got most of the essential ingredients for a good Western that are sometimes forgotten, i.e., wonderful sets and abundant landscapes (Durango, Mexico). Nicholson obviously shows some talent for good story telling and comedy and surprisingly this film is not marred by a contemporary "music video" that was all the rage in the 70's (Butch Cassidy & TSDK, The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean, and The Ballad Of Cable Hogue).

Its not a shoot'em up but it will entertain you.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 04:58:15 PM »

I realised that my review was a bit short and brief

Anyway the film opens with a shot of Jack Nicholson standing by his horse looking backwards at something, he mounts up and begins to gallop off. We see a posse after him. There is a chase sequence then we see Nicholson cross a river and he shots Viva Me-hee-co!  He stands on the bank shouting and jeering at the posse. While he doing this his horse keels over onto the ground behind him next we watch as the posse plows across the river and captures him.

Next scene he's in a jail and we see a gallows out through the cell door, we see the deputies lead his horse up upon the gallows Nicholson says " they are going to hang ol' Speed!" But its really an auction of his effects ;-).

While he's ranting in the cell we see a couple of old biddies looking him over he blows a puff of his cigar smoke at them. The deputies grab him and begin to take him to the gallows Nicholson yells out "what about my last meal" Christoffer Lloyd replies "your smoking it" Belushi (playing a Mexican deputy) howls.

At the door of the jail there are more women and Nicholson continues to insult them hilariously,  "I wouldn't take you to a dog fight if you was the defendin' champion!".  The sheriff asks Lloyd and Belushi if they told Nicholson about the ordinance. They say they forgot. The sheriff then tells Nicholson about an old ordinance that the town created after the Civil War (when the towns menfolk were depleted) that any condemned man can be claimed by any land owning female to be her husband and have his sentence commuted.

Now, here Nicholson has the same type of hilarious epiphany that Tuco has when he realises that Blondie knows the name on the grave, and the film is just a laugh riot from here on out with many quoteable lines reminiscent of "The Big Liebowski" 

You got to check this out. Afro

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:19:17 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »

A couple of more details.

Mary Steenbergen has a cute sort of "wet T shirt" sequence at a water hole for those interested.

John Belushi's first film role is ok (though his second role in Animal House was actually released first), he plays a crazy Mexican sidekick deputy to Christoffer Lloyd's role as "first" deputy.

I think this is becoming my favorite Nicholson Western  Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »

This movie is full of great lines. Got these from IMDB

(Possible spoilers)

Henry Lloyd: I can do this all day long...
I'm talkin' about ALL day long!

Henry Lloyd: You can always tell a virgin because
the whites of the eyes ain't clear.

Henry Lloyd: Julia... what do you say we try canning
some of them apricots?

Henry Lloyd: Dammit. I feel sorry for the poor
sonofabitch that winds up with you.

Julia: I only slept with you
so you'd keep on working.

A Neighbor: (holding jar of crude oil)
Damn worthless black goo.

Henry Lloyd's old girl friend : Henry Lloyd, you were the best I ever had 'cept maybe for that circus feller

Henry Lloyd: You missed Old Man in the Moon.
Hell, I got my faults, I admit it, but...
Hell, I got my ways, too.

Henry Lloyd's Inlaw: Hungry? *beep* I could eat a frozen dog.

Henry Lloyd: Well, we'll go to the kitchen and see
if we've got one already froze.

Henry Lloyd: "She puts the chairs up on the walls so you can't sit on them."
"What?"
Henry Lloyd: "I can't explain it to ya, Towfield, it's over your head."

Christofer Lloyd's Deputy to Julia: "You wanna marry him? I've asked you out ten times, and you gave me the flap of your umbrella. Sh*t!"

Henry Lloyd: "I wouldn't take you to a dog fight if you was the defendin' champ!"

Henry Lloyd: "A Woman loves an Outlaw, Like a Little boy loves a puppy dog."

Henry Lloyd: A good husband's hard to find.

Julia: You weren't hard to find, you were standing in front of the whole town with a rope around your neck.

Henry Lloyd: You're a smart woman. I like smart women.

Julia: (sarcastically) Sure you do.

Henry Lloyd: (not impressed) Maybe a little TOO smart.

Henry Lloyd: I don't want to get calluses pattin' myself on the back, but I have put a gal or two in tune with nature.

Julia:  I'm sure nature is very grateful.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:58:03 AM by cigar joe » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:45:34 PM »

I saw this in '80's on tv and completely forgot about it. Now, courtesy of  its greater estimator here at the forum, I watched it again. Can't see any SW's influence, nor I get along with Nicholson's hamming (probably this is the only Nicholson's movie where I don't like his acting at all). But Steenburgen is nothing short of perfect and, yes, I like Nicholson's direction and some of the lines. Some cut would have been in order though, like the saloon scene (it adds nothing to the plot or the characters) and the old gang party, at least partially. 7\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:19:29 AM »

I saw this in '80's on tv and completely forgot about it. Now, courtesy of  its greater estimator here at the forum, I watched it again. Can't see any SW's influence, nor I get along with Nicholson's hamming (probably this is the only Nicholson's movie where I don't like his acting at all). But Steenburgen is nothing short of perfect and, yes, I like Nicholson's direction and some of the lines. Some cut would have been in order though, like the saloon scene (it adds nothing to the plot or the characters) and the old gang party, at least partially. 7\10

I guess by SW influence I mean the general picaresque demeanor of the characters something not found in the majority of pre SW American Westerns. I'll go along with a 7/10 rating, I don't care for most comedy Westerns in general but this one would be in my top ten along with Support Your Local Gunfighter.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 10:33:18 AM »

I guess by SW influence I mean the general picaresque demeanor of the characters something not found in the majority of pre SW American Westerns.

I detect more of a counterculture feel, typical of '70's Hollywood and Nicholson's. 

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 06:11:57 AM »

I've just seen this for the first time on TV and was greatly entertained by this. This has good set of hillbillies in this and I was chuckling away throughout.

Such a great cast too which you have listed. I would like to add Veronica Cartwright with her bottle in hand chasing Jack Nicholson all the time. And I was pleased to see a bit of Luana Anders in there too.

I look forward to seeing this one again. 8/10.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM