Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 03:38:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gun Glory (1957)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gun Glory (1957)  (Read 1492 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »

I read at IMDB that this movie was "violent" and I wondered what in a '50's western could impress a modern viewer as such. Well, the reason (I presume) is that it has a close shot of Chill Wills's back being hit and a squib being used. The effect is strong and so is the blood used for other scenes. A cripple shot almost in cold blood is another unusual feature for the times. The movie is no very original, but the last twenty minutes are suspenseful, though the very final confrontation between Granger and the villains is too stretched out. Granger is always a pleasure to see, but the actor playing his son is miscast as can be. 6\10 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »

I read at IMDB that this movie was "violent" and I wondered what in a '50's western could impress a modern viewer as such. Well, the reason (I presume) is that it has a close shot of Chill Wills's back being hit and a squib being used. The effect is strong and so is the blood used for other scenes. A cripple shot almost in cold blood is another unusual feature for the times. The movie is no very original, but the last twenty minutes are suspenseful, though the very final confrontation between Granger and the villains is too stretched out. Granger is always a pleasure to see, but the actor playing his son is miscast as can be. 6\10 

Never saw it, but I guess there is no hurry either.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:15:57 AM »

Garfield gives it avery high rating.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:16:25 AM »

just saw the movie (played recently on TCM, dvr'd it and finally watched it). The plot is about as standard as its gets, but I found the movie entertaining, I'd rate it a 7/10. Worth a look if you're bored and it's playing on TCM  Wink

I've never seen Granger before, and I really liked him here.

I totally agree with titoli about the kid who plays his son -- that guy was ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. just terrible. made you groan every time he opened his mouth. And that cripple was ridiculous. Also, there are a few scenes with the cattle where they are clearly using projections. And I found it funny how the preacher plies the son (who looks like he's in his low 20's) with gum drops, as if he was a child  Grin

The picture quality really good. And Granger's ranch is a real nice spread.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:24:43 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:56:06 AM »

God Moves In Mysterious Ways.

Gun Glory is directed by Roy Rowland and adapted to screenplay by William Ludwig from Philip Yordan's novel, Man of the West. It stars Stewart Granger, Rhonda Fleming, Chill Wills, James Gregory and Steve Rowland. Music is by Jeff Alexander - with the title song "The Ninety and the Nine" song by Burl Ives - and cinematography is by Harold J. Marzorati.

What we have here is a very familiar tale. Granger is gunslinger Tom Early, who returns to his home town after a number of years to find his wife has died and his son (Rowland) is unsurprisingly miffed at his father having abandoned them. The townsfolk, also, are not exactly enamoured to have him back either, but since they are in the grip of terror brought about by violent cattle baron Grimsell (Gregory), a chance for Early to make peace with all is in the offering.

Granger was winding down his contract with MGM and this could hardly be seen has a triumphant fanfare finale. Yet for committed Western film fans there's still plenty to enjoy. Handsome is a word that springs to mind, Granger and Fleming positively ooze sexual beauty, the Calif locations (Bronson Canyon - Whoosh!) are magnificently brought to life via CinemaScope (Metrocolor), while costuming and set designs are most appealing.

The script is weak, though, and familiarity of story demands that elsewhere the pic needs to cover the shortcomings. Action scenes are all too brief, but the stunt work on show is impressive and the construction of shoot-outs, and a rockslide sequence, certainly stirs the blood. Elsewhere, Jacques Aubuchon's lecherous windbag act gets tiresome pretty quickly, and the overt religion angles are heavy handed (even the musical score is full of biblical swirls) - the latter of which a shame because Chill Wills as The Preacher turns in the best perf in the pic.

Hardly a must see movie, then, but Oater fans, and fans of the stars, are not short changed (Gregory does good villainy as well). Even if ultimately it comes off as a "going through the motions" movie that's very pretty but of little substance. 6.5/10

Viewed via UK cable.

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 09:01:35 AM »

Saw this for the first time yesterday, had never heard of it.  Agree about bad casting for the son, thought that myself.  Granger washed up a lot.

Rhonda Fleming was a hottie then, agree !  Have to catch more of her films...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM