Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 06:57:39 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Superfly (2018)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Superfly (2018)  ( 50 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« : September 11, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »

I'm a huge fan of the original Superfly that came out in 1972.  The original is about a New York city drug dealer named Youngblood who wants to make one last big score and get out of the game.  The original Superfly was played by Ron O'Neal.  The original is one of the VERY few blaxploitation films that is very critically acclaimed and has a cult following. A standout of the film is the soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield.  The remake follows the plot almost exactly but has some major plot differents.  The setting is moved to Atlanta to give it more of a modern Urban feel.  In this one, Youngblood is played by Trevor Jackson.

Any fans of Urban gangster films will see resemblences to the film " Belly"  (1998) and " Shaft" 2008 which was another remake of a original, starring Samuel Jackson as Shaft.  As far as the film itself, it was better than expected.  The cinematography was gorgeous (Amir Mokri) with a soundtrack by Josh Atchley, which also featured several hip hop songs by the artist " Future".  The plot was pretty good, THOUGH, contrived at times.  The plot built up several subplots to a very good tension, but one of the subplots I felt was rushed to a ending at the end of the film.  Overall, if you have nothing to do, its a kick back GOOD action gangster film that will surprise you.  The 1990s featured a slew of films in the Urban gangster arena, but the genre has kinda been slow during  the 2000s.  This was a welcome return to those types of films.  I rate it a solid 8 out of 10....

RON O'NEAL

« : September 11, 2018, 06:45:55 PM moorman »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : September 12, 2018, 03:11:25 AM »

Thanks I like the original Neo Noir Shaft a lot it. ;-)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moorman
Gunslinger

« #2 : September 12, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »

Thanks I like the original Neo Noir Shaft a lot it. ;-)
I saw the remake but not the  original.  You are correct.  Its good from what I've heard...

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines