Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2019, 04:19:01 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Niagara (1953)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
: Niagara (1953)  ( 13417 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #60 : May 24, 2018, 06:10:58 AM »

Showalter was embarrassingly over-the-top in this. Just a big distraction.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #61 : May 24, 2018, 06:40:01 PM »

I had to check this out after seeing the many comments about it.  I agree with everybody who said this is a gorgeous film to look at.  Its the highlight of the film.  The acting was pretty good. I like Joseph Cotton and had no problem with him here. Monroe was pretty good also.  I think the direction was ok.  My problem was the plot itself.  As has been pointed out in various posts, there were things that didn't make sense.  Why would Rose wanna do away with George when all she had to do was just divorce him.  The plot didn't make George look crazed enough to stalk her in my opinion. That was the big problem with the whole plot. Yeah, George broke a record. Knocked over a table, but there was nothing that made you THAT afraid of him.

Why did Polly tell the police that George was gonna do his wife in?  I don't recall anything that George said to her that would give her that indication. In fact he said that his wife would just run because she couldn't get involved any further in the scheme she herself had hatched.  If George was thinking that way, why not silence Polly when he had the chance. 

My other problem was Polly herself. Polly kept popping up EVERYWHERE.  When Rose was sneaking a kiss from her lover,  here comes Polly.  When George tries to sneak back to the cabins, he runs into Polly.   When George has stolen the boat and is making his get away, guest who happens to stroll down to the boat and gets in the way. Polly, lol.

Its a great looking film in search of a plot.  I rate it a 7 out of 10...

« : May 24, 2018, 06:41:50 PM moorman »
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #62 : Yesterday at 01:45:44 AM »

After re-watching this on Blu-ray, I had to come on here to say how good this film is. The locations shots are breath-taking.

I've just watched Dean Martin and Marilyn duet the song from the film on You Tube. That's great fun. It's better than the way MM sings 'Kiss Me' in the film. But I reckon that her portrayal of slightly-trashy Rose is her best. It's good how she switches from her baby voice, when other people are around, and then reverts to a bit of a cold and normal voice when alone with her husband.

I hadn't given it a rating before now. But I've just unhesitatingly rated it 9/10 on IMDb.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #63 : Yesterday at 06:05:03 AM »

After re-watching this on Blu-ray, I had to come on here to say how good this film is. The locations shots are breath-taking.

I've just watched Dean Martin and Marilyn duet the song from the film on You Tube. That's great fun. It's better than the way MM sings 'Kiss Me' in the film. But I reckon that her portrayal of slightly-trashy Rose is her best. It's good how she switches from her baby voice, when other people are around, and then reverts to a bit of a cold and normal voice when alone with her husband.

I hadn't given it a rating before now. But I've just unhesitatingly rated it 9/10 on IMDb.

Post the link to the duet, I can't find it. thanks

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines