Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 01, 2024, 01:19:24 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 85
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 318249 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1080 : December 21, 2022, 07:52:23 AM »

Cobra (1986) I didn't remember a thing of this one and rightly so. The funny thing about it is Robinson playing the legalistic cop. Stallone, acting badly as in his all first efforts where he had to recire more than one line, play the over the top guy fighting a kind of MAGA cult, more credible now than then, though the plot is nothing original. Nielsen looks feminine here. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1081 : December 25, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »

The Longest Day (1962) I saw it in 1967 (or 1966?) and liked it. I got out of the cinema whistling that quite banal tune. I saw it again on tv (in the '80s) and didn't dislike it. Now, watching it with the original audio, what is left to like are a couple of sequences: the one with the para hanging from the church watching the battle and the one with Gert Fr?be seeing them coming. The pep talks are indigestible and the worst ones are delivered, of course, by Wayne (his summary of the war that far which marks his entrance made me want to stop the vision). Sean Connery has got surprisingly a bigger part than I remembered but his lines are terrible. What amazed me most is  the fact that, in the end, the movie is less spectacular than it claims to be: I can't believe they still made use of back projections and shot open air scenes in a studio. Oh, and Eddie Albert redeems himself from the cowardly portrait delivered 6 years beforer. 6-7/10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1082 : December 26, 2022, 10:41:11 PM »

Fantasia 2000 (1999) At Disney's must have been short of money that they had to recycle the MM episode from the other one. The quality is generally low, I save only two: the first one, the more abstract, renewing the technique based on the '20's cartoons of Viking Eggeling (but the use of the fifth of Beethoven makes little sense) and  the only funny episode, the one featuring DD. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1083 : December 28, 2022, 01:39:26 AM »

Second Chorus  (1940) Maybe this is the Swing era movie, as Artie Shaw plays such a relevant part both musically and plotwise. But not having seen other movies like this one (assuming they were made at all) this is enough to say that Astaire doesn't dance enough but his last number as an orchestra director is pretty good. What this movie is lacking is the comic relief both because the screenplay is weak in this regard but also because Meredith and Butterworth are not up to the task. 7/10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1084 : January 07, 2023, 02:36:17 AM »

Batman (1989)  I remembered little of this: actually only Nicholson dancing in the museum to the awful Prince's tune. So I didn't remember Wayne going to bed with Basinger and let her know his identity. Nicholson plays a quite sadistic Joker and, though not perfect, for me is still the best at mixing the fun and the evil of the character. Keaton doesn't belong there: he's far from handsome (almost ugly, in my book) and hasn't got an imposing figure: how he landed the part is a mystery. Still the movie is the one nearer to the original conception of the comic book, with a noirish quality in the night city scenes. The special effects are almost non-existent and so the spectacular part ends up being devolved to the Nicholson's scenes. Which would have  been good had they been balanced by more of Batman's. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1085 : January 10, 2023, 01:00:35 AM »

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) Now, one doesn't expect rationality in a fantasy-fantastic movie. Still it is a mystery how Wolverine is able to move at all with all that metal inside. Apart from that, the pace is adequate, the chase and the final duel-triello above Marvel average, so it's a solid 7/10. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1086 : January 11, 2023, 06:18:25 AM »

Batman Returns (1992) I hadn't realized (or didn't remember) that the previous one was by Tim Burton. Here you realize it instantly. And it goes on until the end: they even named Walken's character Max Schreck to underline the horror approach. The problem is that to keep it like this they had to make the Penguin a freak: which is not what the comic book's and Meredith's was: the original Penguin is elegant and funny: Burton's is neither. Poor De Vito acquiesced and so the movie, for Burton's fans, earns much more than fron Batman's fans. Pfeiffer has never troubled my sleep: give me Julie Newmar, please. About Keaton, I already said.  6-7/10

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #1087 : January 11, 2023, 06:53:35 AM »

Batman (1989) 

Had a decent soundtrack/score, Danny Elfman.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1088 : January 11, 2023, 12:12:59 PM »

Batman Forever (1995) It is visually maybe better than the former two, Kilmer is tolerable in the part, Robin thanx to a  better costume and looking the right age and not with the diminutive figure of the comic books and the tv Batman, is an acceptable support to the main character. Unfortunately you have Kidman, my un-favourite actress of all time after Crawford and Moreau; and Carey, with his usual unabating spastic acting, is annoying in the long run. Unfortunately Lee Jones tries to match him in that regard. 7/10   

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1089 : January 12, 2023, 12:54:58 AM »

Batman & Robin (1997)  The first time I saw itI thought it was awful. And, plotwise, it still is. But the whole directed-produced Burton-Batman saga asks to be evaluated visually too and this last one, even more than the Kilmer, is an obvious harkback to the TV Batman, a feast of colours at every shot, this time with even more adequate special effects. What is not working is Thurman's character, absolutely ineffective and, to boot, with an aide (Bane) even more unimpressive. There should have been only Schwarzenegger and more of his one-liners: but, of course, at Hollywood you must satisfy the female audience. Another minus is Batgirl: you have Robin, why she too? A feast for the eye was Elle Macpherson: and in facts they gave her limited screentime, not to allow Thurman's and Silverstone's looks with hers. Clooney is acceptable but not memorable. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1090 : January 15, 2023, 06:41:03 AM »

Reservoir Dogs (1992) I was curious to watch this again after so many decades and un-dubbed but the rating is the same. 4-5/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1091 : January 19, 2023, 08:29:30 AM »

Enemy at the Gates (2001) Sniper vs. sniper, all I remembered about it. The fight scenes are very good, the ones with the snipers too but, of course, the female audience must have the love entanglement, the love triangle and the happy end which slow down the pace so much. So it's 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1092 : January 20, 2023, 12:51:10 AM »

Alien(1979) I saw it in the theatre and on tv, but in the 80's. So I remembered little of it, actually had forgotten that Holm was not human (great performance). The Giger sets are what makes the difference with all the movies of the series which came later. Also, the edited out scenes show how Scott understood that the less shown of the creature the more effective the tension. 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1093 : January 20, 2023, 10:23:42 AM »

Aliens (1986) I had read somewhere this was better than the previous one. I don't think so. This is more action based, the other one thrived on suspense. Unfortunately the action is far from original, the characters are as trivial as can be plus the usual, bothersome child. And it is ridiculous  how the futuristic technology is so behind the one of 30 years later. A funny book could be made about how the technology of most sf or fantasy movies of the '80's and 90's was so much behind the mark of the real one of 1 or two decades later. 6/10

I changed my mind a bit about it. The kid is not so obnoxious and the action suffers, yes, from the illogical premise (like in Starship Troopers) that humans, instead of robots, may be sent in the future to fight this kind of enemy. So yes, the characters are straight from the book (Hollywood's, I mean) and that means they may make you laugh with their expected behaviour and dialogue. But the plot moves fast and it never bores you. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1094 : January 21, 2023, 12:56:45 AM »

Midway (2019) The special effects  are the main asset. The tactical development of the battle was hard for me to follow, I can't remember having the same problem in the 70's movie. The usual portray of WTF Yankees with their WTF dialogues. As said, the special effects work but, especially in the fight scenes before Midway, namely Pearl Harbor and Marshall Islands because then you know what is happening. 6/10

: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 85  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines