Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:20:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  (Read 78389 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: August 22, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »

Frantic (1987) Liked it more this second time. A great thriller maybe just a 10 minutes too long and the finale could have done without Seigner's death. The Maestro ladles the usual music already heard at least a dozen times before. 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 24, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »

Hitler eine Bilanz Teil 05 Der Kriegsherr (1995)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_pLBjLQbWg

Interesting documentary about Hitler as warlord, mainly for interviews with veterans. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 25, 2016, 11:22:36 AM »

Capone (1975) Uhm, Browne's screenplay is well..., takes liberties with facts, if I remember well what Allsop and Kobler wrote down. I don't think Browne had better sources at the time. So one may wonder at how Capone got the clap, which led him first to madness and then to death, as he is shown living like a monk and got himself just a love story with a wealthy girl who was killed in an failed attempt at killing her lover. Or the  fact that what got him into prison were not the untouchables (nowhere to be seen) but Nitti's betrayal. And how Torrio came to the decision to retire is all a work of fantasy. Gazzara is even more unconvincing than Robards in the role: he lacks the vulgarity, the flamboyance of Capone. But he reaches greatness when playing Capone before dying, gone mad: De Niro has nothing on him. This must have been Stallone's first major role: he is inexpressive as usual, but refrains from the goofy mimicry he'll adopt for his future famous characters. So this is probably his best role before F.I.S.T.   A city car chase it is probably the best one set in 20's Chicago. The OST apes Rota. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 25, 2016, 04:52:55 PM »

L'allenatore nel pallone (1984) THE b-movie about football. It can't be understood outside of Italy, maybe not a great loss. But even funnier than Banfi (here at his best) is The Baron Liedholm because he's unchanged here commenting the result of a fake match as when he was commenting real matches.  7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 27, 2016, 11:57:32 AM »

Le stagioni dell'aquila (1997) A collection of sequences from fascist newsreel. Some I had never seen before. The italian dvd has got english subtitles. 7/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnpQF4HNvr0

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 30, 2016, 12:39:03 AM »

Le notti bianche (1957) I caught snippets of it on tv and thought it was boring. So I postponed the integral vision. Then I bought a box set where it is included and finally gave it a try. It is still boring but there are some interesting features. The scenography of an entirelly studio reconstructed Leghorn. Some shots like the almost final one of Schell going from Mastroianni to Marais. But the movie is too long for a very thin story. The casting of Schell is all wrong: I never liked this "actress" who can only laugh or cry (Calamai, though showing her age, is still much sexier).  And then, it is hard to think that Mastroianni would be wasting much time with her and that she would take Marais over him for no apparent reason. Some of the dialogues are stilted. Mastroianni improvising that "dance" adds another minus. Still he is above his material and shows why he was among the best actors ever. So it's 5/10.   

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 30, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »

Franco Cristaldi e il suo cinema Paradiso (2009) An interesting documentary on one of Italy's most important producers. Lots of interesting interviews and never seen screen tests of famous actors, the most impressive being for me the one in english of Frank Wolff for Salvatore Giuliano. The italian dvd is english captioned. 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 31, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »

Blind Date aka Chance Meeting (1959) CJ would probably dub it noir, or semi-noir or whatever label turns up handy to him but really it is a good small-budgeted detective movie, with a great Stanley Baker (very well dubbed by Gazzolo) and the other 2 good leads. I saw it in the '80's but liked it best this time. I'll try to re-watch The Criminal which is even better. 7/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9x8rsiOdTQ

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 02, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »

Adolf Hitler – Eine Bilanz: Der Erpresser (1995)  Lots of clips I had never seen before. 8/10 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkZDctl0ukE

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 07, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »

A Foreign Affair (1948) Not as good as it would have been some years later, when Wilder perfected his kind of cynical comedy. Here the Hollywood clichés are given undue space, especially in the finale. Still watchable for the Dietrich songs and a handful of good lines. 7/10

I just saw this movie, on TCM.

I'm not really qualified to comment, since I am not really into comedy, but I guess this is decent as far as that goes. Yes, very cynical.
I can never understand how Jean Arthur was such a star in her day. She has maybe the most annoying voice of any actress in Hollywood history.

I did not like Dietrich's songs, although she is always interesting to watch, she performs them well. The songs themselves are stupid. And in the "Ruins of Berlin" song, her voice sounds awful. The "Black Market" song is not really a song; she is just talking with music playing in the background.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 21, 2016, 05:22:31 AM »

George Harrison: Living in the Material World (2011) A good documentary as it concentrates on H.'s personality, especially his involvement with spirituality, finally persuading me to remain atheist. Featured is the worst version of "What Is Life" one can ever dream of; and though his split personality is spoken of often, not much is made out of it as this was produced by family. But in 3h and 1/2 of material is hard not to find some new item even for diehard fans. 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 22, 2016, 02:14:35 PM »

Lo chiamavano Jeeg Robot (2016) This has been praised over here  like the spaghetti answer to Marvel or DC stuff (or words to that effect). Actually it is something in the Gomorra or Romanzo criminale style plus the  superhero, but effectively so. the problem is the love story which takes too much screen time: a cut of 30' would have made this a 8/10 stuff. I give it 7/10 in spite of the amateurishness of most of the cast (though the girl seems to have great jugs) as it is very original and funny watching to superheroes fighting  while pronouncing lines with roman accent.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:16:12 PM by titoli » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 26, 2016, 11:21:49 AM »

Perfect Friday (1970) Normally this would get 7/10 like CJ gave it, but Andress is still in her prime here (not, alas, like will happen in an italian sexy comedy a few years later) so, although when I saw it in the cinema it was 10/10, I still give it 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 28, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »

Italian Noir: The Story of Italian Crime Fiction (2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vkPr-YE_g

Not much of a History, but rather a collection of interviews wih some important figures of italian crime fiction. Some of the writers are very hard to classify as noir: I would like to see the face of Gadda (but also of Sciascia) if they dubbed him as a crime writer, let alone noir writer. But it is a good introduction to the genre. 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 29, 2016, 05:28:22 PM »

Nordic Noir: The Story of Scandinavian Crime Fiction (2010) As above.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM