Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 10:56:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  (Read 78749 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 10, 2015, 06:18:12 PM »

Le trou (1960) Best prison movie ever. What did stick into my mind since the first time I saw it in the early '70's are Roland's precise gestures or the examination of the packet sent to the prisoners, and the final two words. Of course there is more to it, f.e. the perfect acting by all the interpreters, the one playing Roland being one of the real convicts who tried the escape.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2015, 04:03:51 PM »

Unknown (2011) A mixture of Frantic and Regarding Henry, which keeps you involved for 2/3 of the story but then, as it usually happens, makes you push ff. And one's left with lots of unanswered questions. which shouldn't be the case with a thriller. 7\!0

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 16, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »

Le trou (1960) Best prison movie ever. What did stick into my mind since the first time I saw it in the early '70's are Roland's precise gestures or the examination of the packet sent to the prisoners, and the final two words. Of course there is more to it, f.e. the perfect acting by all the interpreters, the one playing Roland being one of the real convicts who tried the escape.

at the end

SPOILER ALERT

you're upset that the plot fails ... and then it hits you ľ wait a minute, that's a good thing, these guys are criminals!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 17, 2015, 01:20:09 AM »

No, it hits you they're betrayed after they trusted so much the newcomer.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 17, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »

Get Smart (the 1995 series). 7 episodes about 20' each. the first 3 are on a level with those of the '60's, the rest are fillers. Elaine Hendrix is very pretty, but young Barbara Feldon is unapproachable (she's now 85, can't believe it).   

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 24, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »

New York, New York (1978) Watching it again after 3 decades couldn't help but thinking that Tarantino took much of his style from De Niro's dialogue scenes. Some of these are masterful (the first dialogues between him and Minnelli) and make me give the movie a 8/10 , though maybe the film is too uneven. Watching the cut scenes in the extras I wonder if the 3 and1\2 hour version was much better.  Minnelli, I have to admit it, is perfect here except when she sings, with her melodramatic style modeled on her mum's.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 13, 2015, 11:25:54 PM »

Parola di ladro (1957) Rather flimsy ArsÚne Lupin-like story which strangely found somebody to finance it. Yes, the Becker movie on the famous thief was produced about the same years and then there was Big Deal on Madonna Street. But these were another class of movies. Why Marotta (my all-time favourite cinema critic) found it good is beyond me, though I checked it out because of his favourable opinion.  Anyway the reason I mention it it is because I was amazed by a scene which I presume today couldn't pass a censorship board. Or maybe just couldn't be shot. The intended victim, a jeweller, is friendly with a gang of children, all aged between 8-10 years and to maintain their friendship (they actually will help him to neutralize the thief's intended robbery) he gives them cigarettes for presents, which they of course are shown smoking.   

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 04, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »

The Sea Beast (1926)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2Fji7njow

Call me Barrymore.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 21, 2015, 04:19:49 PM »

Cleopatra (1963) For years this movie lingered on my mind for a single shot: the one where Taylor lies on a massage table, showing a naked half buttock. And that I had to walk along the aisle of the theatre because my backside was aching after two hours (same happened with Lord Jim).  After more than 50 years, alas, can't say that I was so enthusiastic about the actress whose alcoholic sprees were taking the better of her who is not here as ravishing as 10 years before. And then her gander voice: awful. Still I must admit that her silent scene where she takes a fake revenge against Antony is well played. But of course it's the  male actors who are the forte of the movie. Harrison, McDowall and Landau are great and Burton, after having sleepwalked through the picture for half of his allotted time, after the masterful Actium battle is up to the other three.
The sets are incredible: each one of them is a feast for the eye (the entrance of Cleopatra in Rome, of course, is masterful) so one wonders what doesn't work with the movie and why it was a flop. Of course, the answer lies mainly in the 2 hour cut ordered by Zanuck which went against the director's plan to distribute the movie in two parts of 3 hours each instead of the one we have of 4 hours. But I think that another, more important reason lies in the fact that most of the dialogues require a degree of attention higher than the one the kolossal viewer is willing to concede, leaning more, as they do, on the side of Shakespeare than the one of Margaret Mitchell. Still the movie earns a good 8\10 which, in the case that the missing two hours will come up, could be raised higher.        

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:26:18 PM by titoli » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 02, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »

California Split (1974) With Mash, Nashville and McCabe my favourite Altman. A pity I saw it again, for the third time, dubbed, but at least this tv recording doesn't have the re-editing of the u.s. dvd. 8/10 only because of the dub.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 04, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »

Gosford Park (2001) Good representation of the high class of british society in the '30s. I could have done without the mystery part, though. 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: May 04, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »

I remember being bored stiff despite liking all the actors.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 05, 2015, 01:33:25 AM »

I remember being bored stiff despite liking all the actors.
I've read your review: you were. But what I liked was the picture of the higher social echelon, especially in their relationship with their servants, starting from the treatment of Maggie Smith's servant under the rain. Of course, this is not a great Altman. But it is a good movie, which probably I could have appreciate even more had I watched it undubbed. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 16, 2015, 02:35:46 AM »

Dracula (1931) I saw it in the early '80's and couldn't understand the enthusiasm about it: still can't, after having been nurtured on the Hammer versions.  I'm not sure it makes a top ten Dracula movies. Most people say the spanish twin version is superior. 6/10

DrÓcula  (1931) One of the worst acted movies I ever saw, all actors ranging from mediocre to incompetent. But, yes, some scenes are better set than the twin english speaking version, but then, it makes little difference. 6/10

Dracula's Daughter (1936) This could have been a good one had not the code been in use. The bony faced female vampire was the perfect lez vampire but little could be made of it. A pity. 7/10

Son of Dracula (1943) I couldn't help laughing when Dracula and his wife to be go to a justice of peace to celebrate a marriage. The starting  idea, though, was interesting: to be vampirized to acquire eternal life and then gettting rid of bridegroom Dracula anf getting back to former fiancÚ. 5/10

House of Dracula (1945) Main Universal monsters unite for this one, though I can't understand what the Creature is doing there. I liked Carradine's transformations from bat and his top hat. 6/10   

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2015, 03:49:27 PM »

The Vampire (1957) Mexican variation on the horror theme. For the first time longer canines (the trick was copied from Hammer a year later). The story proceeds quite fast, the locales are different from usual. It's 7\10.

El ata˙d del Vampiro (1958) Follow-up to the former, but with no originality. 5\10

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM