Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2019, 05:14:15 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 51 52 [53]
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 120269 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #780 : April 09, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) Cagney, Rooney and Powell (Dick) doing Shakespeare? Well, this play is not Hamlet, so the operation was not so incredible, even conceding the far from correct american english spoken by some.  I first saw the play eons ago, in italian, in a public open air place: bored to death. I saw it again in english in the BBC version with no better results. This one, though at first saw the same results coming, it gets better and better as the story proceeds. Rooney is impressive because, although he was 14-15 when he shot the movie, and already with an incredible filmography behind him, here he looks no older than 10. So one not knowing who he is, can't be flabbergasted by his professionalism, actually his overacting. Cagney, well, he plays Cagney, as usual: take it or leave it. Still the Reinhardt-Dieterle combination is above, I presume, any possible theatrical rendition of the play and, I admit, made me understand what the all stuff was about. I rate the movie above the play: 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #781 : April 12, 2019, 08:03:04 PM »

Theater of Blood (1973) Apparently this is the only filmed performance of price as a shakespearean actor available on the tube. The movie in itself is worth little. 5/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #782 : April 16, 2019, 02:22:38 AM »

As You Like It (1936) This is considered by most critics (and audiences) a masterpiece. I can't see why, apart from the famous "world is a theatre" speech. This version though has got the advantage of being around 100', dispensing with most useless speeches, so if one has never seen this play, it makes for a good starting (and probably ending) point. They have a poor man's Garbo for the role of Rosalind, and kinda teutsch at that! Olivier thinks he is Douglas Fairbanks but does the little his part requires impeccably. 6/10

: 1 ... 51 52 [53]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines