Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 10:04:18 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 88
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 341281 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1170 : June 26, 2023, 02:27:12 PM »

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) Having missed the previous episode I didn't know anything about the franchise. All the better as in Marvel comics and movie the less you know the better, as you concentrate on the visuals. Here they are quite with a dark tinge, like in Daredevil,  while the final fight in the church is nothing you haven't seen before. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1171 : June 28, 2023, 04:44:59 AM »

Waterloo (1970) Pauline Kael wrote that an audience, when Steiger makes his entry, started to laugh, as he was playing Steiger, not Napoleon. I have to admit that, at that moment, I thought he was going to shout at Oates to call the A/C repairman. This could be named War and Peace act II, as we have again Bondarchuck at the helm and the Russian Army providing the masses. I think that, as usual, it is extremely difficult to visualize the development of the battle in 40-50 minutes, not explaining what was the french strategy and the Wellington counter. And, even more important, the accidents, the misunderstandings, the ineptitudes, the wrong decisions. So you have isolated scenes, some remarkable as the Ney attack on the british quadrangles; and some one-liners (mostly by Wellington) and anectodes. But in the end, the best scene is the scottish ballet coreographed by Gino Landi. 7/10 
Watchable on youtube.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1172 : June 28, 2023, 09:28:31 PM »

The Lego Batman Movie (2017) I don't know how to rate this one. It is mildly funny in parts, too long at 100', the colors are vivid but the images are too filled with details and one cannot absorb the content, and the dimensions of the charcter do not help a relaxed vision. I think that the old british sci-fi series Thunderbirds was better in this regard. I know I may not have been clear but I really don't know how to explain.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1173 : June 29, 2023, 09:26:28 AM »

Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) 5/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1174 : June 30, 2023, 02:44:22 AM »

Man on Fire (2004) Melodrama plus action. Unfortunately you must wait 50' before action starts and even then the action is not like the newest wave of action movies (like DW Equalizer series) where there is no room for bogus depth  of characters and no end dialogues. So this one, at 146', is simply boring in parts, though the action scenes are an anticipation of those to come in the future. 6/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1175 : July 02, 2023, 12:02:01 AM »

Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) 5/10

As a teen, I watched the three Austin Powers movies probably 50 times ? mostly the second one, which is by far and away the best, and which, when I was about 17 years old, I could recite line by line. The third got ridiculous at times and is definitely not as good as #2, but 5/10 is way too low.

You know titoli, I used to think you were insane. But now I can see your nuts!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1176 : July 02, 2023, 02:20:06 AM »

But now I can see your nuts!

I very much doubt it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1177 : July 03, 2023, 02:24:10 PM »

Raw Deal (1986) I was sure I had seen it, but if I did I couldn't remember a single thing. The story was by Vincenzoni and Donati(!!!) but there is little or no originality, not helped by the fact that the action scenes are, with a single exception (the excavation site) where the Stones Satisfaction finds a use as memorable as the one in Apocalypse Now, negligible. A pity because the actors performances are very good: Wanamaker, Davi, Shenar and Harrold who, I must say, is almost wasted in a film like this: brava. Schwarzenegger is good as usual, in spite of his accent. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1178 : July 06, 2023, 11:22:39 AM »

La Grande Bouffe (1973) I saw it in a cinema, with my mother (!). I can't remember having asked her what she thought of it, probably because I was afraid of her answer.  O0 It is still a strange experience to re-watch a movie you have watched when you were not a kid anymore, though still a teenager (I'm not sure I watched this again on tv). Anyway if you don't know what the movie is about or don't even know who Ferreri was check him on IMDB. This was probably his last good movie (together with the following "western") after his great production of the '60's and 70's. 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1179 : July 08, 2023, 09:22:04 AM »

Higher and Higher (1943) First movie of Sinatra as a star. In fact he was pushed into the story to exploit his recent step to stardom. And a couple of good renditions of his numbers are just the only reason to watch this lame comedy. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1180 : July 08, 2023, 09:01:32 PM »

Elvis (2022) I don't know what to say about it. probably is only for new generations of people who don't know a thing about the man, surely not for those who have read books about him and bought a dozen or more of his records and dvd's. There are impersonators much more looking like Elvis than the guy here, I liked Hanks though. But the much is left untold and many liberties about what it happened are taken. Bah.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1181 : July 09, 2023, 11:41:12 AM »

A Face in the Crowd (1957) Of course Schulberg couldn't imagine that 65 years later the mass would become a cult. And so whatever their idol would say about them wouldn't detract from their adoration. So the finale now looks completely a sham. Which is a pity because this is one of the best movies of the '50's, whose analysys of how the mass media work is still as spot on yesterday as it is today. The actors...well,l Neal in her comeback role is perfect, Oscar worthy performance. Griffith, on the other hand, is not always adequate, he exaggerates with those grimaces and open mouth laughing Yes, his character is a vulgar, ignorant fella. But is not an idiot. Matthau is as miscast as can be, those glasses do not belong to him. 8/10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1182 : July 14, 2023, 06:55:09 PM »

Pearl Harbor (2001)  So one must skip the first 80' and stop watching after the attack has ended unless you care for schlock love story Hollywoodish style. And the attack is very good, it perfectly conveys the feeling of confusion, helplessness of those moments with no respite. In fact, I will watch the attack again. But the rest, let it rest.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1183 : July 17, 2023, 01:34:23 PM »

Get Carter (2000) Of course, not as good as the original but well-made, especially for the casting. Paradoxically, Stallone looks younger at the end without the kinda Van Dyke he sports in the movie, which reveals the lifting: why they didn't let him go un-bearded for the rest of the movie is a mystery.  I did not get why Caine wants the dvd that gets him killed. Or if Rourke (an actor I detest but here delivers a great performance) is killed. 7-8/10. There must be a former mini-review of mine of both versions somewhere here.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1184 : July 18, 2023, 11:55:18 PM »

Crank (2006) Another Statham action trip, this time around L.A. Not as good as other ones I reviewed here but this is a kind of B movie which strives for original slants to the usual situations of the genre (see the  finale...but then it seems that there's a hitch to that too, as there's a part 2 of this movie!). The plot is absurd, gross with many touches of comedy not always effective but I appreciated the effort. 6/10

: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 88  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines