Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 09:34:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The MTSURMT (Microblogging/Tweeting/Status Update/Random Musings Thread)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The MTSURMT (Microblogging/Tweeting/Status Update/Random Musings Thread)  (Read 63185 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »

We had to put down our dog today. He was only six but had been suffering from lymphoma for some time. RIP Buddy.

sorry to hear that. My friends had to do that to their dog recently; it's never easy. Hope your family is doing alright

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »

Thanks drink. My parents are really upset, but we're already talking about a new puppy so I think we'll be alright.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2012, 02:04:23 AM »

What kind of dog was he? Would you like to share a photo of him?

I never owned a pet and never cared much for dogs. But 5 years ago I met a girl who would become one of my closest friends, and I eventually met and become close with her whole family -- including their collection of pets, which would ultimately grow to be 3 big dogs and 5 cats (and a rat  Huh) Their dogs grew to love me, and I became their "crazy uncle" (every time I would walk near the fridge, theyrd go running there cuz they knew I'd sneak them treats when their "mommy" wasn't looking  Wink ) One of them was very old, she barely had a hard time walking up stairs and didn't bark much. After a few years, she stopped barking at all and didn't do much of anything but lay around the house. One morning, the youngest dog woke up to her and walked over to her and started growling and growling and growling.... he realized she was dead. It was sad for the family, although we'd all seen it coming. (I have a different friend who was walking his puppy, who suddenly ran into the street, was hit by a car and died instantly. It was painless, but terribly shocking for my friend). In this case, at least they knew it was going to happen.

It wasn't until I met this family that I understood how people could feel about a dog. But now I definitely do.

I'm sure you all gave him a very loving home and a good life. Life has to end sometime -- though it never seems long enough -- but all you can really hope for is to give him a good life, and I am sure that you did.

When you get a puppy, look at a dachsund. They are so cute! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dachsund&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1037&bih=573&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=qkMWUKbiIKXD0QH8t4DICA (A pal of mine has two puppies, including a dachsund. That lttle guy loves me, when I come over to his house, he runs over to me, and when I sleep on the couch, he always jumps up on the couch, lies down next to me.... and starts humping my leg for hours  Grin)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:24:24 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2012, 04:28:46 AM »

Sure. Apologize if the size is an issue.

My parents are already talking about a new puppy but they'll probably get another lab. They've always been our model of dog. I like dachsunds but my parents have had bad experiences with small dogs.

We also have a cat who for some reason decided he likes me better than anyone else in my family. A rat, though? Isn't that what exterminators are for?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »

wow, your dog is really cute!

yeah, I don't understand why she got a rat. It wasn't like one of those grey rats you'd find in the subway; it was a white one with a pink tail. But still, I don't see the point. It was kept in a cage and did nothing all day. It died a while ago and to tell the truth, I didn't much give a damn. It was funny when she used to give it sugary foods and see it all hyperactive  Grin but basically it just sat in a cage and did nothing. Some people have weird ideas for pets  Huh

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:42:15 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2012, 04:46:27 AM »

Our local Petco used to sell centipedes as pets! Now I spent all spring term senior year doing battle with one of those suckers in my apartment. I have no idea why the hell I'd want a tame one. What can you train it to do, crawl?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »

Our local Petco used to sell centipedes as pets! Now I spent all spring term senior year doing battle with one of those suckers in my apartment. I have no idea why the hell I'd want a tame one. What can you train it to do, crawl?

maybe now we can make some money; instead of killing the centipedes in your room, just catch them and sell them to Petco! How much can you rake in per 'pede?  Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »

Throughout August, TCM will run a star-a-day program; and on Day 1, who bigger to start with than John Wayne. I dvr'd a bunch of them and I'm about to begin with She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Red River, and Stagecoach. I've seen them each once, they're all terrific; we'll see how I feel about 'em the second time around. I also recorded Operation Pacific, They Were Expendable, and Flying Leathernecks, which I'll be seeing for the first time.

Looking forward to spending quality time with the Duke  Smiley

Also, I looked at the movies that'll be playing for the next week, starting today, Friday 8/3/12, and it looks like the stars of each day are:

Friday: Johnny Weissmuller (a bunch of Tarzan movies)
Saturday: Marilyn Monroe
Sunday: Claude Rains
Monday: Van Heflin
Tuesday: Sidney Poitier
Wednesday: Rita Hayworth
Thursday: Toshiro Mifune

Each "day" begins at about 6 AM. There are a few other movies thrown in here and there, but pretty much the entire day will have movies by the particular star.

I'm excited for Thursday; I'll get to see Yojimbo for the second time, and Seven Samurai for the first. Also, there are a whole bunch of other samurai movies, including Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy. I haven't really seen any samurai movies other than Yojimbo; I'm wondering if these are good?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:11:49 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2012, 04:41:20 AM »

I always love the Summer Under the Stars programming. A great way to catch up with some classics. Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »

I always love the Summer Under the Stars programming. A great way to catch up with some classics. Afro

Indeed it is  Afro

In middle of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon now. There's something so beautiful about color movies with the cavalry and Monument Valley  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:41:53 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »

It's impossible to find a decent movie in theaters now.

I'm only interested in dramas, thrillers, and action movies. But it seems that just about everything playing in theaters now is related to sci-fi/fantasy/futuristic, comic strips, or comedy.

(I already saw Lawless, but other than that,) if anyone knows of any good drama, thriller, or action movie currently playing in theaters, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks  Smiley

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »

Not interested in Cosmopolis or The Bourne Legacy?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2012, 02:27:06 AM »

I saw Lawless recently too.  From the moment a voice off camera said a law prohibiting the sale of alcohol was passed in 1920 and the date 1931 came up, I knew it wasn't going to be of much interest to me.

The trailers for Killing Them Softly, Savages and The Sweeney looked good.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2012, 07:23:14 AM »

IN CASE ANYONE IS INTERESTED: I just noticed that you can now rent from iTunes movies that are currently playing in theaters, for $6.99 per movie.

It's good to know, in case a movie comes out that you are just dying to see right away, but for some reason can't make it to a theater, or it's not playing in a theater near you, or you prefer to pay the 7 bucks to watch it at home rather than whatever your local theater charges to watch it there (in Manhattan it's like $14 a pop).

We all know about how the delivery system and viewing habits of visual entertainment has been changing with the digital age. And how movie audiences have been in rapid decline ever since, well,  the advent of television.

But looking at this today, I am wondering, do you think that in the near future, movie theaters will become a complete anachronism? That all movies will be streamed over the internet or via some digital service like iTunes, as people will prefer to watch from the comfort of their own homes rather than in a movie theater (especially as home entertainment systems get bigger and bigger and louder and louder)? For me, there is nothing better than watching a great movie in a good theater, with a really big screen and booming sound. But what do you think? Is there a realistic chance that, say, typical commercial theaters will be basically gone in 20 years, and the only ones that will exist are the ones that screen the classic movies like the Film Forum?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:25:43 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2012, 08:31:46 AM »

But looking at this today, I am wondering, do you think that in the near future, movie theaters will become a complete anachronism? That all movies will be streamed over the internet or via some digital service like iTunes, as people will prefer to watch from the comfort of their own homes rather than in a movie theater (especially as home entertainment systems get bigger and bigger and louder and louder)? For me, there is nothing better than watching a great movie in a good theater, with a really big screen and booming sound. But what do you think? Is there a realistic chance that, say, typical commercial theaters will be basically gone in 20 years, and the only ones that will exist are the ones that screen the classic movies like the Film Forum?
I don't think that's probable. (But it's possible.)

It's a social thing, going to the movies. And it's not quite the same thing inviting your friends over to watch a movie no matter how great your home system is. The psychology is different.

To me the magic of going to the cinema is not about the greater technical quality (though it's part of it, of course). It's about sharing an experience with other people, people you don't know, people whose face you haven't even seen - people who live and breathe the same story that you are seeing. I think it's the essence of cinema.

The digital revolution does not only mean that VOD is booming - it also enables more theaters to screen premier movies. I don't know about the US or world wide situation but in Finland this has been a kind of a boost for smaller theaters that earlier had to wait weeks before the film copies reached them.

As someone currently going to a film school I can only say that the day when movie theaters become extinct is the day I change career.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM