Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 02:36:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The MTSURMT (Microblogging/Tweeting/Status Update/Random Musings Thread)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The MTSURMT (Microblogging/Tweeting/Status Update/Random Musings Thread)  (Read 56565 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2012, 09:31:32 AM »

how did you see the movie? On TCM?
I think it's been on TCM. I saw it at MoMA.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »

what do you people do for work?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »

I type. There may be marginally less degrading work in my future.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:35:21 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »

Has anyone seen the 1984 Eastwood movie "Tightrope"? I really liked it, noticed that it has a very low rating on imdb (6.2/10). I don't get too caught up in imdb ratings, but I think this is a really good movie that isn't discussed much, it's an 8/10 in my book.

I mean, you talk about a protagonist that doesn't wear a white hat, this is it. A New Orleans cop who doggedly investigates a rapist/woman killer, while frequenting all the sleaziest joints on Bourbon Street

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:17:39 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2012, 01:54:08 AM »

what do you people do for work?
Videos and stuff. But mostly I study. You?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2012, 05:05:27 AM »

Has anyone seen the 1984 Eastwood movie "Tightrope"? I really liked it, noticed that it has a very low rating on imdb (6.2/10). I don't get too caught up in imdb ratings, but I think this is a really good movie that isn't discussed much, it's an 8/10 in my book.

I mean, you talk about a protagonist that doesn't wear a white hat, this is it. A New Orleans cop who doggedly investigates a rapist/woman killer, while frequenting all the sleaziest joints on Bourbon Street

One of the better films of Eastwood in the 80s. This cop film is actually superior to all the Dirty Harry sequels. 7/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »

Its sort of a a Neo Noir, I like it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »

The Nathan's Famous Coney Island July 4th HOT DOG EASTING CONTEST is beginning now on ESPN!

(I just saw the WOMEN'S contest. I've never been so disgusted in my life)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:36:04 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »

I saw the King of the Hill hot dog eating episode a few nights ago. That was gross enough for me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »

Joey Chestnut won for the 6th consecutive year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UInIYi167dA

He apologized to the fans for only tying -- not breaking -- his previous record of 68 hot dogs consumed (in ten minutes).

Since contestants have to eat an equivalent number of buns along with the hot dogs, many of them soak the buns in water, so they can just be swallowed all soggy, takes less effort and space than chewing them (Disgusting, I know!) One of the contestants used -- instead of water -- what looks like fruit punch or something, and he had this huge beard, and out of the beard was all this red punch (like how a little kid looks after eating an ices) smashed with hot dog and bun residue. Simply gross. Leone could have used this footage for the stagecoach scene at the opening of DYS. Frayling quoted some critic who said that the mouths of the passengers were photographed eating the food disgustingly, too look like "unwiped anuses." (Thanks for the visual, Sir Christopher). Well those bourgeoisie passengers had NOTHING on this shit.

But that still was nothing compared to the women's contest. These are not big fat ugly people. Some of them are slim and reasonably pretty, the kinda girl you'd be interested to ask out for a drink. And THEY were stuffing their faces like that. Was gross. The women's event was begun last year, and the same girl won this year and last year; but her wining number this year was like 20 behind that of Chestnut's!

I must have said 5 times already that we need to create a "vomiting icon: for these boards. Perhaps now is the time to finally do so. For real. That is the only reaction one can have to this sorta shit! till then, i'll have to just use the classic sound meaning nauseous or disgusting:  BLAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »

here is the video of the last 3.5 minutes of the women's contest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw5QX6F-3HU
Nothing sickened me so much as to see these basically decent-looking, reasonably nicely figured girls slobbering down these dogs.

BLAAAAAHHHHHHHH

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2012, 10:49:48 PM »

rank the Budd Boetticher-directed Westerns starring Randolph Scott here!

IMO, there are 4 good movies, which rate a 7.5 - 8/10

Ride Lonesome
The Tall T
Westbound
Seven Men from Now

And there are 3 bad ones

Decision at Sundown
Comanche Station
Buchanan Rides Alone

(I am just referring to them as the "Boetticher/Scott Westerns" so we avoid the usual debate over which ones technically are part of the "Ranown Cycle")

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2012, 02:30:51 AM »

For me the 6 Ranowns are all similar good, and I would rate them between 7 and 8/10.
Westbound is ok but clearly a lesser film in every aspect with 5/10. Just another 50s Randolph Scotter.

I have no idea why you think that Comanche Station is bad while its twin film Ride Lonesome should be so much better.
Buchanan and Sundown are obviously different from the 4 Kennedy written Ranowns, but they complement them in an interesting way.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2012, 03:16:54 AM »

For me the 6 Ranowns are all similar good, and I would rate them between 7 and 8/10.
Westbound is ok but clearly a lesser film in every aspect with 5/10. Just another 50s Randolph Scotter.

I have no idea why you think that Comanche Station is bad while its twin film Ride Lonesome should be so much better.
Buchanan and Sundown are obviously different from the 4 Kennedy written Ranowns, but they complement them in an interesting way.

Comanche Station and Ride Lonesome shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence! I rated Buchanan Rides Alone a 3/10 when I watched it; it's the worst of the Boetticher/Scott Westerns.

I've seen each film once, ranging from 6-20 months ago.  Eventually I will try see them all again, possibly over the course of a single week, and maybe my opinion will change, maybe it won't. But after my first cycle of the Ranown Cycle,  I think there were 4 good ones and 3 bad.

Westbound is a very different style to the other 6. I also recall liking the music to Westbound, but unfortunately, it seemed that that one song was just replayed  over and over again throughout the movie.

I recall at least 3 of the movies having good villains: Richard Boone (TTT), Lee Marvin (7MFN), and Lee Van Cleef (RL), although Van Cleef wasn't nearly as good as he would be in Leone's movies; he speaks waaaaay to quickly, as he usually dis in his pre-Leone Westerns. he always had the great face, but there is something about his performance in FAFDM (and later in GBU and his other Spags) that makes him seem a world away from his earlier roles; I particularly noticed how fast he speaks in RL, and you don't feel neatly the same sinister feeling as you do later on, when he spoke much more slowly. I don't know if it was just van Cleef growing up as an actor, or if it's Leone who taught it to him, or some combination of the two. But the Van Cleef in RL hardly seems like the same guy, except for the face, as the Van Cleef who rode into Tucumcari  Wink

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:37:47 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »

We had to put down our dog today. He was only six but had been suffering from lymphoma for some time. RIP Buddy.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM