Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:07:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The MTSURMT (Microblogging/Tweeting/Status Update/Random Musings Thread)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The MTSURMT (Microblogging/Tweeting/Status Update/Random Musings Thread)  (Read 56963 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »

Cinemas are still needed to give a film a name, to bring films into the media discussion. In the future cinemas are probably only needed as part of the marketing to sell downloads (or Blus or whatever) of the films shown there.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »

and theaters damn straight better get their shit together and start cutting prices. I don't know how it is in the rest of America and the world, but Manhattan theaters are now charging $14 a ticket. I'd venture to guess that it's been rising much, much faster than the rate of inflation, both in comparison to the prices of the past few years, and to the prices of decades ago. Maybe the cost of making movies has risen similarly as well, I haven't studied the economics of it. But as it becomes cheaper and cheaper to stay home, less people are going to want to plunk down that kind of money for going to a theater. (Not to mention $5 for a water bottle, etc.)

For me, the theater in not much about a social gathering, like moviesceleton feels. (That's what the Cinema Paradiso was all about  Wink) For me, it's all about the superior technology: there is simply no comparison between watching on a great theater screen and watching on a tv screen at home. I just found this AMC multiplex on 34th between 8th and 9th that has the biggest damn screens I have ever seen in my life, and I decided I ain't going to any other theater to ever see a movie. And as long as I have a good buddy to go with, I don't care much about being "together" with lots of other people (it's not like you can talk out loud anyway... it really ain't the Cinema Paradiso!) In fact, less is better, I like taking up five seats, putting my feet up on the seat in front of me, etc.  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2012, 11:03:02 AM »

I usually choose a smaller independent theater over the local multiplex. They have considerably smaller screen but the atmosphere is better. (And no commercials before the films!) Multiplexes are pretty soulless places, like malls or something. Going to the independent theater feels like going home. And the audience is better; no babbling teenagers. *

I've often said that I have a home in any city anywhere as long as it's got a movie theater. So if movie theaters become extinct, I'm gonna be homeless...

*Actually there are big differences between audiences. The audience can really make the movie. I saw Chaplin's Mr Verdoux for the first time on tv and it left me cold: I didn't laugh, found the story rather boring etc. But then I saw it again six months later at a film festival with a packed audience and it hit me like a thousand volts. It was funny and moving, certainly among Chaplin's masterpieces. And that's because the audience was more than the sum of its parts - hundreds of people in a room do form a collective that is more sensitive and intelligent than any of the participants alone. And being a part of that kind of collective can be the most exhilarating experience.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »

I recently watched Singin in the Rain in a Multiplex.

They showed the film in 1,85:1 instead of 1,37:1, which means they often chopped off the heads and in the dancing also often the feet, which is in a musical not less worse then the chopped off heads. I'm sure it wasn't a mistake, but done on purpose to fill the screen.
Even worse two reels were in the wrong order so that about 20 min of the 2nd half came 40 min too early.
And as it also was an old copy full of dirt and scraps and some smaller cuts where the copy was repaired. The sharpness was bad but at least the colors were quite good for such a worn-out copy.

Of course for these old films a remastered Blu or DVD on a big TV screen is meanwhile clearly preferable.

But it was a nice evening for other reasons. The people you go with to the theatre. Especially the girls ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »

well it's never excusable to show a movie with the wrong aspect ratio.

Anyway, I recently discovered -- and we've discussed on these boards -- this independent heater that shows classic movies, the Film Forum. I'm very happy I have a place to go see classic movies, but there's no doubt that after going to the AMC Multiplex's enormous screens with stadium seating, going to Film Forum (with their rows of seats on the floor and small screen) doesn't feel like the full cinematic experience; it feels more like watching a movie on a very large screen tv.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »

I think movie-going is definitely a great experience. Even if you go alone you'll still be sharing a film with dozens of people. There's something special in that, if only an emotional rather than aesthetic sense. Watching a movie on video, no matter how many people you see it with, isn't the same.

You're right about ticket prices but this doesn't seem like something solvable. 3D and Imax only make it worse. The ludicrously inflated snack prices always get me: my AMC theater has a vending machine for $4 Cokes! And they wonder why people smuggle snacks in...

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »

Here is the trailer for A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5mxw5ci2w

Since I was 15, the Die Hard trilogy were some of my favorite movies. But the 4th one was awful and I have no plans on watching the 5th one.

And I will forever refer to "The Die Hard trilogy," pretending that the 4th and 5th movies never happened. Kind of like the 3rd Godfather.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:05:59 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2012, 02:21:01 AM »

You haven't seen the 5th one, haven't you?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2012, 02:50:10 AM »

You haven't seen the 5th one, haven't you?

it hasn't been released yet. But I have no plans on seeing it anyway

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2012, 03:10:25 AM »

Maybe it will be the best of the 5 ?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2012, 03:23:07 AM »

Maybe it will be the best of the 5 ?

Maybe. that's a risk I'll have to take

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get a dvd of Antoine and Colette that has English subtitles? It's a film short made for the compilation  Love at Twenty directed by Truffaut, with Jean-Pierre Leaud in one of his many roles in the Antione Doinel character.

I've seen this short show up on various discs, but I have seen some user comments indicate that on certain versions this film had no English subtitles, so I am wondering if anyone knows of any version of this film that definitely has English subtitles.

Thanks  Smiley

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »

I generally don't like to discuss my job but today I had a case too good to resist sharing. Drink should get a kick out of this, anyway.

Today I transcribed a district court case. The Claimant was a convicted murderer who published a book about how serving a life sentence sucks. He was suing the prison because he thought being placed in a cell with a flatulent gentleman was punishment for writing the book. The opposing Counsel read a passage from said book where the prisoner/author noted prisoners like to manipulate and mess with guards to gain small privileges. The prisoner grudgingly admitted that he himself had manipulated guards during his time in jail! Then prisoner accused opposing Counsel of conspiring to open his mail.

It's really amazing how much time and public money gets wasted by these clowns.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »

I generally don't like to discuss my job but today I had a case too good to resist sharing. Drink should get a kick out of this, anyway.

Today I transcribed a district court case. The Claimant was a convicted murderer who published a book about how serving a life sentence sucks. He was suing the prison because he thought being placed in a cell with a flatulent gentleman was punishment for writing the book. The opposing Counsel read a passage from said book where the prisoner/author noted prisoners like to manipulate and mess with guards to gain small privileges. The prisoner grudgingly admitted that he himself had manipulated guards during his time in jail! Then prisoner accused opposing Counsel of conspiring to open his mail.

It's really amazing how much time and public money gets wasted by these clowns.

Grin

Is the guy arguing that being forced to live with a farter violates his substantive Due Process rights?

And who got the proceeds from the guy's book? There are laws that attempt to prevent criminals profiting from books written about their crimes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Sam_law

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »

Mickey Mantle was born 81 years ago today in Spavinaw, Oklahoma.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM