Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 10:09:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The MTSURMT (Microblogging/Tweeting/Status Update/Random Musings Thread)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The MTSURMT (Microblogging/Tweeting/Status Update/Random Musings Thread)  (Read 63097 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2013, 06:21:51 PM »

Received my first paycheck today. With it came the realization that factoring in rent, loan payments and other expenses, I'll be running a monthly deficit of around $100. Life is good. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2013, 07:30:43 PM »

Received my first paycheck today. With it came the realization that factoring in rent, loan payments and other expenses, I'll be running a monthly deficit of around $100. Life is good. Afro

that's better than most people these days  Afro

btw, RE: our earlier discussion of Google Street View cars stealing data from WiFi networks, this came down recently http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-germany-fine-street-view-20130422,0,1029940.story

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2013, 07:57:30 PM »

Cool article, thanks Drink. Good thing I'm on cable now. Undecided

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:59:44 PM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »

Cool article, thanks Drink. Good thing I'm on cable now. Undecided

me too.

I mean, I am not always plugged in, I usually use my wireless network, but the point is that it is password-protected; I think these Google cars were only able to steal the data from unsecured networks

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »

Really scary that they could get away with doing that, though not too surprising.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2013, 07:04:49 AM »

I try to avoid the news as much as possible (especially nonsense like this), but this was one of the lead stories on Yahoo

http://gawker.com/5994974/the-most-deranged-sorority-girl-email-you-will-ever-read

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/sorority-girl-email-writer--resigns--from-delta-gamma-172810311.html

Obviously, this girl is an idiot. (For her sake, I hope she was at least drunk or high when she wrote this). And in today's day and age, you would think people would realize that anytime they write an email -- ESPECIALLY A MASS EMAIL SENT TO A BUNCH OF SORORITY SISTERS -- that it could make it's way out into the world; I have a simple rule: never send any text message or email to ANYONE if I would not be comfortable with the entire world seeing it. (It's like all the recent stories of sororities having offensively-themed parties: so many of these stories have gone viral, how could anyone still do it and expect it won't cause an uproar. Like the Duke party that mocked Asians http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/07/nation/la-na-nn-duke-fraternity-mocked-asians-suspended-20130207 and the Penn State sorority party mocking Mexicans http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sorority-girls-busted-mexican-themed-pic-article-1.1213746
and after all pictures were posted on social media and emails were leaked and those stories made national headlines, now some idiot sorority at Indiana makes a party mocking the homeless http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/23/sorority-homeless-theme-party/2107723/ how stupid can they be? )

So this girl was an idiot for sending this email. I mean, it's very different than the aforementioned sorority parties which were racist; this is just a nutjob cursing out everybody; but the point is that she is a dumbass for thinking she could send this email and it wouldn't get out.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, I don't get wtf this is national news, and she certainly shouldn't be forced to resign just cuz one of her sisters leaked the email to the national news: I mean, she is obviously an idiot, and writing an email with that much profanity is not very pleasant and shouldn't endear herself to her sorority sisters, but wtf is an email someone sent now national news? If they mocked a racial group, yeah, then I'd understand, cuz we are sensitive to racism.

But here, she just basically mocked everyone equally! So all this is is one dumb chick sending a profanity-laced email tirade to her sorority. WTF should anyone care about it? Really? She is sumb but IMO the news outlets that are reporting this story -- and especially the ones who reported her name -- are even more wrong than she is. So she sent a ridiculous rambling email to her sisters -- wtf should that be anyone's business or national news? Should her name be smeared nationally like this? If she said something evil, like some racist rant, then yeah, she should definitely be criticized by name; there should be no place for stuff like that in society. But that's not what happened here; she just went on a rant where she cursed everyone out; should that justify these websites revealing her name? That's so wrong. She did something stupid, but I wouldn't exactly call it evul. It is very wrong for them top reveal her name abnd ruin her life just cuz she went on a stupid rant.

I avoid the news as much as possible, and on the rare occasions when I do read a news story, I remind myself why: the fact that America is in an uproar -- the LEAD STORY ON ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR SITES IN THE WORLD -- over some email a dumbass college chick sent her sisters  Roll Eyes

This girl is an idiot who did something stupid; but the ones who revealed her name nationally did something bad.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:38:26 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2013, 07:11:51 AM »

Really scary that they could get away with doing that, though not too surprising.
what do you expect?
But I am not even the slightest bit surprised. IMO, the vast majority of people would do anything for a buck. When billions of dollars staring you in the face, what % of people would actually refrain from doing something they think they could get away with just because it is wrong? Very very few.

Remember what Yahoo did in China http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/07/business/worldbusiness/07iht-yahoo.html?_r=0

when the tyrannical Chinese gov't asked Yahoo for the emails of journalists, Yahoo complied and the dissidents were subsequently jailed?   (btw Yahoo is leaving China now, but the damage is done http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=178443721 )

Those Yahoo executives who gave up the info are no less evil than the gov't officials that actually imprisoned the dissidents. Yahoo claims they wee simply following the law and complying with the Chinese court order.

Just like the law-abiding Poles or Lithuanians or Hungarians et al. who informed the Gestapo where the Jews were hiding, they were merely following the law too, right?. And making a few bucks in the process. Hey, Eichmann said he was only "following orders" too.

I don't know if there is any legal way to prosecute these Yahoo officials in America, but at the very least, they should be shunned as human beings in the same way we would shun (if not lynch) anyone else that exemplifies the banality of evil. Business executives merely complying with the laws of the country in which they operate, right? These peeps exemplify the banality of evil.

I am certainly not comparing the stealing of data to assisting in the political imprisonment of dissidents. My point is just that IMO almost anyone would do anything for a buck and nothing that I hear shocks me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »

I try to avoid the news as much as possible (especially nonsense like this), but this was one of the lead stories on Yahoo

http://gawker.com/5994974/the-most-deranged-sorority-girl-email-you-will-ever-read

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/sorority-girl-email-writer--resigns--from-delta-gamma-172810311.html

Obviously, this girl is an idiot. (For her sake, I hope she was at least drunk or high when she wrote this). And in today's day and age, you would think people would realize that anytime they write an email -- ESPECIALLY A MASS EMAIL SENT TO A BUNCH OF SORORITY SISTERS -- that it could make it's way out into the world; I have a simple rule: never send any text message or email to ANYONE if I would not be comfortable with the entire world seeing it. (It's like all the recent stories of sororities having offensively-themed parties: so many of these stories have gone viral, how could anyone still do it and expect it won't cause an uproar. Like the Duke party that mocked Asians http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/07/nation/la-na-nn-duke-fraternity-mocked-asians-suspended-20130207 and the Penn State sorority party mocking Mexicans http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sorority-girls-busted-mexican-themed-pic-article-1.1213746
and after all pictures were posted on social media and emails were leaked and those stories made national headlines, now some idiot sorority at Indiana makes a party mocking the homeless http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/23/sorority-homeless-theme-party/2107723/ how stupid can they be? )

So this girl was an idiot for sending this email. I mean, it's very different than the aforementioned sorority parties which were racist; this is just a nutjob cursing out everybody; but the point is that she is a dumbass for thinking she could send this email and it wouldn't get out.

WITH THAT BEING SAID, I don't get wtf this is national news, and she certainly shouldn't be forced to resign just cuz one of her sisters leaked the email to the national news: I mean, she is obviously an idiot, and writing an email with that much profanity is not very pleasant and shouldn't endear herself to her sorority sisters, but wtf is an email someone sent now national news? If they mocked a racial group, yeah, then I'd understand, cuz we are sensitive to racism.

But here, she just basically mocked everyone equally! So all this is is one dumb chick sending a profanity-laced email tirade to her sorority. WTF should anyone care about it? Really? She is sumb but IMO the news outlets that are reporting this story -- and especially the ones who reported her name -- are even more wrong than she is. So she sent a ridiculous rambling email to her sisters -- wtf should that be anyone's business or national news? Should her name be smeared nationally like this? If she said something evil, like some racist rant, then yeah, she should definitely be criticized by name; there should be no place for stuff like that in society. But that's not what happened here; she just went on a rant where she cursed everyone out; should that justify these websites revealing her name? That's so wrong. She did something stupid, but I wouldn't exactly call it evul. It is very wrong for them top reveal her name abnd ruin her life just cuz she went on a stupid rant.

I avoid the news as much as possible, and on the rare occasions when I do read a news story, I remind myself why: the fact that America is in an uproar -- the LEAD STORY ON ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR SITES IN THE WORLD -- over some email a dumbass college chick sent her sisters  Roll Eyes

This girl is an idiot who did something stupid; but the ones who revealed her name nationally did something bad

Just a byproduct of our stupid voyeuristic society. Sad to say this doesn't surprise me either.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2013, 10:40:12 PM »

At the Tribeca Film Festival a few days ago: The Tribeca Talks Directors Series, conversation between Clint Eastwood and Darren Aronofsky. As the title indicates, this conversation is pretty much all about directing.

http://new.livestream.com/TribecaFilm/events/2048983/videos/17498345

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:33:17 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2013, 06:22:34 AM »

Cool find. Afro

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2013, 06:25:13 AM »

Indeed! Watched it yesterday, really cool.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2013, 06:44:51 AM »

I only watched a little of it, maybe I'll see the rest later.

One thing I always hear from every actor, it seems that anyone who acts in an Eastwood movie absolutely loves him as a director. Angelina Jolie said after Changeling -- and she looked kinda serious -- that she actually considered telling her agent she was only gonna act in movies that Eastwood directs.

He is famous for never yelling "Action!" or "Cut," or having a clappboard slammed; he'll have someone hit the clapboard, if necessary, very quietly, and then he'll tell the actors "anytime you're ready," and at the end of the scene, say, "that's enough of that shit." He feels that actors tense up as soon as they hear someone scream "Action!"

Also, Eastwood is known for working quickly, not doing a million takes. Always on time, and always under budget.

Sidney Lumet used to be known for that as well. Lumet once said that on the first day of shooting, he'll do a bunch of short scenes (e.g. a man walking down the street and then turning into a store), and he'll do a bunch of them quickly, all in one or maybe two takes, on the very first day; which a) gets everyone started by doing something easy, just so they could get used to each other; and b) lets him know if there are any weak links among the crew, who can't keep up with his quick pace.

I don't love Eastwood's film scores -- lately, he's been writing them himself, just a few notes repeated over and over, with different arrangements, mostly pretty simple. I liked it in Mystic River, but not in Changeling or Million Dollar Baby. Music can add a whole new element to a movie, and Eastwood is not taking that opportunity. Is that intentional -- that he doesn't want to lose focus from the image or sumthin?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »

Oh you didn't watch all of it? You should, they discuss a lot about Sergio and the dollar trilogy.

I don't love Eastwood's film scores -- lately, he's been writing them himself, just a few notes repeated over and over, with different arrangements, mostly pretty simple. I liked it in Mystic River, but not in Changeling or Million Dollar Baby.

I agree. It works great in Mystic River because it perfectly fits the topic. It adds to the "fate/inevitability/everything is a circle" themes.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:53:36 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »

Oh you didn't watch all of it? You should, they discuss a lot about Sergio and the dollar trilogy.

Oh, I didn't realize that. I watched the first few minutes and it seemed to be a lot of technical stuff about directing; now I will definitely watch the whole thing.

btw, talking about camera shots, I am just curious noodles_leone, have you ever seen the movie Union Station with William Holden? There is a scene where some cop is shadowing a suspect on a train, and there is a shot in one train car, and suddenly the suspect jumps to another car, but the shot looks exactly the same (I hope I am saying this right). I absolutely couldn't understand wtf was going on, it looked like the suspect jumped from one car onto the same car! -- I had to rewind that 5 times, until I realized that the idiot director or editor had placed the camera at exactly the same spot on the first shot (jumping from Car A) and the when he cuts to the second shot, landing on Car B. It's hard for me to explain properly, but if you have seen the movie, you would know what I am referring to.

It was a pretty good movie, but that shot there shows me that a director or editor doesn't know wtf he is doing. or else I don't know wtf I am watching.

have you seen that movie?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:31 AM »

I just finished watching that Eastwood interview. The Leone discussion runs from 28:44 - 36:10

I see that Union Station is streaming on Netflix, so I will post that clip soon and show you what I mean.

RE: Eastwood's music: one reason it works better in Mystic River, besides for the fact that it's a better melody, is that, even though it is those same few notes over and over, it is played very loud and with many different arrangements, including a full orchestra. In Changeling, so far as I remember, it's the same 3 notes played on a piano at very low volume. And in Million Dollar Baby, the music was almost non-existent.

So I guess if done right, Eastwood's music style can work.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM