Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 12:02:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  New Books
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Books  (Read 7658 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »

Was in B&N today and found these to be interesting additions

"Any Gun Can Play" (Euro Westerns) forward by Franco Nero (lots of great pictures in this one)

and "The Ultimate Book of Gangster Movies"

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:04:02 AM »

"The Ultimate Book of Gangster Movies"

Thanks for sharing! When you get a chance, if it's not too much trouble, can you provide his list of 100 greatest gangster movies? That's a wonderful way to make conversation and get an ulcer, about something that is utterly meaningless.

Lists are the kind of thing that you know before you look inside that it is absolute bullshit, yet the IDEA of it always makes it that can't resist looking at it and getting pissed off over, when it turns out that -- SURPRISE, SURPRISE --  you don't agree with anything inside.

Come to think of it, Lists are just like women  Wink)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:20:52 AM »

Thanks for sharing! When you get a chance, if it's not too much trouble, can you provide his list of 100 greatest gangster movies? That's a wonderful way to make conversation and get an ulcer, about something that is utterly meaningless.

Lists are the kind of thing that you know before you look inside that it is absolute bullshit, yet the IDEA of it always makes it that can't resist looking at it and getting pissed off over, when it turns out that -- SURPRISE, SURPRISE --  you don't agree with anything inside.

Come to think of it, Lists are just like women  Wink)

I didn't buy them (but I may get the Western Book) I just had 5 minutes so I flipped through them both I was killing some time waiting for my wife. OUTIA was listed as number 12 in the Gangster book with some that I wouldn't list before it so I'd have to go into that one a bit more before I'd recommend it.

Like I said the Western book had great images and lots of them but with Spaghetti/Euro Westerns there are very very few that are any good, out of 600 or so SW there are about 15-18 classics, after them they start to go downhill one way or the other.

Some have great cinematography but the story either sucks or becomes very implausible, others have great stylistic characters but horrible dubbing and outlandish WTF premises, others have just great scores and title sequences, and combinations of the the stuff I listed. Some of the most ardent fans treat SW like Kung Fu films getting off on the out of sync dubbing and wild situations, but I don't.

But with a book you just get the images which usually always look great, and interesting tibits of information, so if you had the book and all the best soundtracks to listen to while your are reading it it would be better than 90% of the content of the films themselves.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:39:24 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »

I didn't buy them (but I may get the Western Book) I just had 5 minutes so I flipped through them both I was killing some time waiting for my wife. OUTIA was listed as number 12 in the Gangster book with some that I wouldn't list before it so I'd have to go into that one a bit more before I'd recommend it.

Like I said the Western book had great images and lots of them but with Spaghetti/Euro Westerns there are very very few that are any good, out of 600 or so SW there are about 15-18 classics, after them they start to go downhill one way or the other.

Some have great cinematography but the story either sucks or becomes very implausible, others have great stylistic characters but horrible dubbing and outlandish WTF premises, others have just great scores and title sequences, and combinations of the the stuff I listed. Some of the most ardent fans treat SW like Kung Fu films getting off on the out of sink dubbing and wild situations, but I don't.

But with a book you just get the images which usually always look great, and interesting tibits of information, so if you had the book and all the best soundtracks to listen to while your are reading it it would be better than 90% of the films themselves.

While I know that some mediocre films may have good moments, I still can't stand to watch anything other than a great film. For me, movies are like wine: there is nothing better than a great one, but anything less than great is absolutely torturous

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »

I agree with your comment about Spaghetti Westerns, but the book is a great read nonetheless. I'd say it's possibly the best I've read on the genre. You won't regret buying it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 03:41:59 PM »

I agree with your comment about Spaghetti Westerns, but the book is a great read nonetheless. I'd say it's possibly the best I've read on the genre. You won't regret buying it.

It looked very nicely put together.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »

Was in B&N today and found these to be interesting additions

"Any Gun Can Play" (Euro Westerns) forward by Franco Nero (lots of great pictures in this one)

Well-spotted, CJ. Checking amazon, I see they have it for a little more that USD 26. I might get this, although mostly for what it can tell me about things other than SWs (like, for example, Karl May adaptations).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »

Nice book, beautiful photographs on heavy paper also.  Afro Afro Afro

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:35:10 AM »

Could anybody take some reference pics of some pages (Western Book) ?

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »

The Kevin Grant book is excellent.I bought it at the book launch in London a couple of months back and got it signed by Grant as well as Franco Nero who wrote the foreword. Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »

Could anybody take some reference pics of some pages (Western Book) ?

Sure Mike,  I may be able to get back to the bookstore tomorrow and I'll bring the camera.  Afro

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »

Well-spotted, CJ. Checking amazon, I see they have it for a little more that USD 26. I might get this, although mostly for what it can tell me about things other than SWs (like, for example, Karl May adaptations).

If anybody here owns this book can they please pm me?
thanks!

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 04:54:17 AM »

According to a recent post at the SWDB forum, is still in progress:

http://www.gbu-book.net/

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »

According to a recent post at the SWDB forum, is still in progress:

http://www.gbu-book.net/

I believe so  Wink

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »

I believe so  Wink

Ah I see Wink . Well I hope the good work continues...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM