Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2018, 04:23:40 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Moonrise (1948)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Moonrise (1948)  ( 32 )
moorman
Bandido

« : July 12, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »

The recent Republic studio thread screenings reminded me about this Criterion remastered film.  As everyone knows it stars Danny Hawkins as Dane Clark, a bullied kid who grows up and kills one of his tormentors in self defense.  As a adult he suffers from the trauma of what happened to his father and the resulting ridicule by the townsfolk where he grows up.  Dane finds solace out in the swamps with Mose ( Rex Ingram ), a former railroad brakeman who himself lives in the swamp to escape society.  Mose's main hobby is raising coon dogs that he hires out for whoever needs them.  The plot also centers around Dane's relationship with Gilly Johnson.  Its a simple plot of redemption with both Mose and Gilly figuring prominently in Dane's redemption of what he did and what has been tormenting him.

The film itself looks gorgeous. Its one of the better films I've seen that heavily features swamp scenes.  There are long dull moments focusing on Dane and Gilly that drag the film down.  Whenever Dane goes out to visit Mose both he AND the viewer get a welcome reprive from those long dull moments.  The film got going pretty good during the last 1/3rd of it.  The ending was pretty good. Overall, I rate this a 6.5 out of 10...

« : July 12, 2018, 05:26:45 PM moorman »
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #1 : July 14, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »

This is an incredibly well shot movie and the brilliant opening scene shows off Borzage's immense talent.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines