Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:01:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ace in the Hole (1951)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ace in the Hole (1951)  (Read 10344 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »

No, but that's before the scene with the priest. I notice you keep dodging that scene. You really need to look at it again. Although I don't find it convincing, I'm pretty sure the film is trying to sell us on a kind of conversion for Tatum at that point. Maybe "conversion" is the wrong word. Let's call it "a  change of sympathy."

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »

No, but that's before the scene with the priest. I notice you keep dodging that scene. You really need to look at it again. Although I don't find it convincing, I'm pretty sure the film is trying to sell us on a kind of conversion for Tatum at that point. Maybe "conversion" is the wrong word. Let's call it "a  change of sympathy."

I am not "dodging" anything. I don't have very strong memories of that scene. I mean, sure, I remember it, but I didn't take particular note of it when I first watched the movie.

I guess I am gonna have to re-watch this baby. I'll put it first in my queue. Maybe you should do that as well, and we can watch it on the same day and discuss it  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 05:52:22 AM »

And that's basically why I'm not participating, its not fresh enough in my mind to make comments on.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »

I'll put it first in my queue. Maybe you should do that as well, and we can watch it on the same day and discuss it  Wink
Just say when.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:42 PM »

Just say when.

how about we watch it next week Wednesday. at 10 PM. you too, cj. and everyone else.... then we go on the board at midnite and discuss it  Afro

Is that a deal?

-----------------------

btw, if this works out, maybe we can start having these "individual viewing party" like once a month or so -- we agree on a movie for everyone to watches at a specific time (or a broad 24-hour time period, since everyone is on a different schedule), then we make up a time for us all to go on the board to discuss it... Let's begin with Ace in the Hole, which we should watch anytime on Wednesday Nov. 23, then a big discussion begins at midnite.... y'all in?  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:35:21 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 02:16:56 AM »

how about we watch it next week Wednesday. at 10 PM. you too, cj. and everyone else.... then we go on the board at midnite and discuss it  Afro

Is that a deal?

As it happens, Wednesday doesn't work for me, I'm tied up all day with Broadway shows and jazz club visits. Friday is probably bad, too. I could do any other day, though.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 05:40:14 AM »

I don't have a copy of it, so ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:50 AM »

I am gonna rent it off Netflix. No matter where you are, there should be ways to rent classic movies, like some equivalent of Netlix or iTunes...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 06:20:51 AM »

It doesn't float my boat enough to discuss it.  Embarrassed

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »

It doesn't float my boat enough to discuss it.  Embarrassed

alright, so you will pick the one for our December viewing party  Wink

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »

I am gonna rent it off Netflix. No matter where you are, there should be ways to rent classic movies, like some equivalent of Netlix or iTunes...

Unfortunately not. There is no German DVD, and at Amazon even the UK DVD is out of print.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »

it's a Criterion Collection dvd that I believe was first released just a few years ago in the USA, so I guess it makes sense that it may not be available yet in Europe.

Do you not have any streaming or download services like iTunes?

This Ace in the Hole viewing party kind of started spontaneously with me and dj, but in the future, if we can generate enough interest for these viewing parties (I'm hoping we can do it like once a month or so) we'll definitely make sure to do movies that are readily available everywhere

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:05:30 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 12:11:12 PM »

My only issue with AitH is the stabbing death, which had the studio fingerprints all over it. They simply wouldn't allow for Douglas' character to survive, which is a cop out. My ideal ending/final shot is for him to be at the soon to be desolate scene as the crowd is leaving.

I don't think the character is evil, but he has a god complex, which is destroyed in the third act.

This is one of my favorite movies but is by no means perfect. I'll take a daring, unique experience like AitH over most "flawless" movies all day.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »

My only issue with AitH is the stabbing death, which had the studio fingerprints all over it. They simply wouldn't allow for Douglas' character to survive, which is a cop out. My ideal ending/final shot is for him to be at the soon to be desolate scene as the crowd is leaving.
You mean end the movie earlier? Well, I think we have to see what becomes of Tatum. What happens to him after the Big Carnival goes tits up. Anything less than that would probably leave most audiences dissatisfied.

I think the best conclusion would be the Elmer Gantry one--after the Big Scheme falls apart, he has to pick himself up and start hustling all over again. He'd like to chuck it all and do something else, but the con/the big story is all he knows. Even when the big story is pretty small. So Tatum finally goes to work for The National Enquirer, and lives happily ever after.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »

You mean end the movie earlier? Well, I think we have to see what becomes of Tatum. What happens to him after the Big Carnival goes tits up. Anything less than that would probably leave most audiences dissatisfied.

I think the best conclusion would be the Elmer Gantry one--after the Big Scheme falls apart, he has to pick himself up and start hustling all over again. He'd like to chuck it all and do something else, but the con/the big story is all he knows. Even when the big story is pretty small. So Tatum finally goes to work for The National Enquirer, and lives happily ever after.

That's a good one  Afro

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM