Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 06:44:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ace in the Hole (1951)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ace in the Hole (1951)  (Read 11062 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »

Watched my CC today, 10/10, Tatum was doomed the minute he opted for the drill over shoring up the tunnel. I think its Douglas' best performance, he has some great newspaper themed monologues and his scene with Porter Hall is a classic.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »

I don't much care about the ending too. Why it doesn't glide has more to do with common sense than with logic.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:53:53 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »

To make it clear: this broiling inside Tatum was done actually pretty well during the movie, there's a lot of memorable acting and dialogue, it's the 180 degrees turn in the very end that disrespects this (and the audience, ironically that is) for shallow purposes.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »

But the movie's a good one besides this - I won't rate it since it's been a while since I watched it on television - from those times when movies were still grown around a skelet of ideas. I respect that.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:58:52 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »

we had a big discussion about the ending a while ago, I defended it ... but the more I think about it now, the more I agree with those who criticize the ending: I'm not interested in Tatum repenting. It's unnecessary to have him feeling all bad about what he did. He dies in the end anyway so I assume that his repentance wasn't necessary for the Production Code so you could have him self-loathing for having the human-interest story screwed up by Leo dying; you don't need him to get a conscience in order to turn him into a self-loather. I still won't have a firm belief on it until I see it again I have the CC BRD but I am insanely busy lately and may not see many movies for a while. However, even if you don't like Tatum repenting at the end, the final shot rescues it anyway  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article/what-wilder-did-to-brackett/

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM