Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 07:50:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Niagara (1953)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Niagara (1953)  (Read 8888 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »

that's great news!

The image quality is not great; ever since I saw (and loved!) this movie I've been hoping for a blu-ray release. Hopefully, it'll look even more beautiful now Smiley

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:06:52 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 05:09:25 AM »

I pre-ordered the blu-ray on Amazon. They said my estimated delivery date is August 5-August 9. And because I chose the Free Super Saver Shipping for my entire order, the 2 packs of socks I placed in the same order are also not gonna arrive till then
(these great Hanes ankle socks http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SKNYAU/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item)
Any blu-ray that delays my sock delivery better be damn a damn good one!

btw, do any of these blu-ray review sites mention anything about bonus features? One thing that disappointed me about the dvd (in addition to the less-than-great image quality I mentioned previously) was the lack of bonus features - I think it's just a trailers, a gallery of photo stills, and a small piece with comparisons of shots pre-restoration and post-restoration. There's no commentary, no video discussions with any critics or interviews with any collaborators, etc. For a film like this, I'd really like it if 20th Century Fox put some effort into in addition to a good restoration of the image a nice collection of bonus features and a good commentary. (Considering that this is a noir, would it be too much to dream for an Eddie Muller commentary? He is really good).

--------

BTW, RE: the dvd's does anyone know if the various dvd versions of Niagara that have been released whether individually, or as part of all sorts of Marilyn Monroe collections are identical?

Numerous dvd versions are have been released http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=Niagara+Marilyn+Monroe&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3ANiagara+Marilyn+Monroe

(This is the one that I own http://www.amazon.com/Niagara-Marilyn-Monroe/dp/B000JF5T5W/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1373796825&sr=1-1&keywords=Niagara+Marilyn+Monroe )

I'm wondering if these are all the same version of the movie, just repackaged over and over again for marketing purposes, as part of various "Classics" collections? Or are these actually from different source prints, and there are actually differences in image quality between the various versions?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »

--------

BTW, RE: the dvd's does anyone know if the various dvd versions of Niagara that have been released whether individually, or as part of all sorts of Marilyn Monroe collections are identical?

Numerous dvd versions are have been released http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=Niagara+Marilyn+Monroe&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3ANiagara+Marilyn+Monroe

(This is the one that I own http://www.amazon.com/Niagara-Marilyn-Monroe/dp/B000JF5T5W/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1373796825&sr=1-1&keywords=Niagara+Marilyn+Monroe )

I'm wondering if these are all the same version of the movie, just repackaged over and over again for marketing purposes, as part of various "Classics" collections? Or are these actually from different source prints, and there are actually differences in image quality between the various versions?
I don't know, but the fact that Beaver has not felt the need to do a comparison review of all the releases suggests that there's only one version and that version has just been repackaged. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreview6/niagara.htm

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »

well that jackass Beaver also says that Niagara's image quality is great. for the sake of giving him the benefit of the doubt, I hope that the dvd he reviewed is actually of different quality than mine. Cuz if it ain't, well - well, that would be just like Beaver. A site that I only use for the few factual stuff like bonus features and aspect ratio; I pay no attention to anything else he writes, for which he is utterly useless.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »

well that jackass Beaver also says that Niagara's image quality is great. for the sake of giving him the benefit of the doubt, I hope that the dvd he reviewed is actually of different quality than mine. Cuz if it ain't, well - well, that would be just like Beaver. A site that I only use for the few factual stuff like bonus features and aspect ratio; I pay no attention to anything else he writes, for which he is utterly useless.
All of which is beside the point I was making.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »

All of which is beside the point I was making.

yes, well the reason I actually first wondered if the dvd's are different is that I saw beaver give a positive grade to the image quality of the dvd he reviewed, and I can't see how anyone would actually think that image quality was good

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »

It's a 2004 standard.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »

It's a 2004 standard.

in general, do you often see a significant difference in image quality between a dvd released around 2004 and one released let's say seven or eight years later, from the same color movie made in the 1950's? 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »

Yeah. After 2004, mastering in HD became a lot more common.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »

D&D is gonna be so pleased: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreview6/niagara.htm

Oh, wait, Drink doesn't trust the Beaver's screen caps, so he won't be able to enjoy these amazing new colors in advance of the Blu-ray release. No, Drink, don't even think about following that link. I absolutely FORBID you to go there!!!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »

Oh, wait, Drink doesn't trust the Beaver's screen caps,

did you see Beaver's screencaps of the My Name is Nobody dvd? I saw one of the American dvd's, and looked at Beaver's screencaps, and it looked nothing like the movie that I saw. Go back and look at some of your movies that Beaver shows screencaps of, and tell me that his screencaps are truly representative of the picture.
And that's just one of my problems with Beaver, but I'm not gonna rehash that here. Hey, if the Niagra blu-ray is really beautiful, I'd be thrilled. I think Amazon said my copy should arrive sometime in the first 5-9 days of August. As I've said in the past, the only info I use Beaver for is basic stuff like aspect ratio and bonus features, and on that front, I am very disappointed that they didn't include any bonus features on Niagara. I suppose everyone involved in that movie is dead by now, but I wish there was a commentary or some other discussion by a film scholar. But hey, what's done is done; if the blu-ray image and sound are really great, I'll be mighty thrilled.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »

(Let's set aside my issues with Beaver, and assume that his screencaps of Niagara are accurate) I suppose it can raise the question: how close is this restoration to how the film looked when it was released in 1953? Is it consistent with the vision of the director and cinematographer? (And does it matter? there's always the question about how a restoration should be carried out, which Martin Scorsese articulated very well here http://www.film-foundation.org/common/11004/askTheDirector.cfm?clientID=11004&sid=6 - I cut and pasted it in this thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.msg160282#msg160282 )

And on a similar note: if the BRD is so bright, maybe that takes away from the movie's noir-ness? Truth is, (as is probably the case with color noirs generally), the main noir aspects may not be in the visual department anyway, but as CJ's screencaps earlier in this thread show, there are some noir visuals, like the window-blind shadows. (and btw, if you look at the restoration comparison shots in the DVD's bonus features, you'll see that the restoration of the DVD made the image look brighter than it was pre-restoration, though I am not sure of the darker pre-restoration look is how it was intended originally, or if that was a result of film erosion). So now the BRD is even brighter, and while we can't say anything for sure till we see the movie, I just wonder if, as beautiful as it may be, perhaps it's not the filmmakers' intended look for the movie....?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 03:18:28 AM »

(Let's set aside my issues with Beaver, and assume that his screencaps of Niagara are accurate) I suppose it can raise the question: how close is this restoration to how the film looked when it was released in 1953? Is it consistent with the vision of the director and cinematographer? (And does it matter? there's always the question about how a restoration should be carried out, which Martin Scorsese articulated very well here http://www.film-foundation.org/common/11004/askTheDirector.cfm?clientID=11004&sid=6 - I cut and pasted it in this thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.msg160282#msg160282 )

And on a similar note: if the BRD is so bright, maybe that takes away from the movie's noir-ness? Truth is, (as is probably the case with color noirs generally), the main noir aspects may not be in the visual department anyway, but as CJ's screencaps earlier in this thread show, there are some noir visuals, like the window-blind shadows. (and btw, if you look at the restoration comparison shots in the DVD's bonus features, you'll see that the restoration of the DVD made the image look brighter than it was pre-restoration, though I am not sure of the darker pre-restoration look is how it was intended originally, or if that was a result of film erosion). So now the BRD is even brighter, and while we can't say anything for sure till we see the movie, I just wonder if, as beautiful as it may be, perhaps it's not the filmmakers' intended look for the movie....?

that was what I'm thinking.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »

Pretty much, when a director/producer/studio or whoever chose to shoot in Technicolor, that person/those persons were ceding control of color values to Natalie Kalmus.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »

gave it a spin again today 9/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM