Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 04:19:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)  (Read 44803 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2004, 04:37:36 AM »

I've seen it on the big screen and still think TBG & its score is a touch better, But I'll have to see the wide screen DVD to see if it changes my mind.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The 4th Gunfighter
Road Apple

When I'm paid, I always follow my job through

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2004, 11:58:11 AM »

I recently got this on a dual DVD along with Beyond The Law (PanScan version for both). The video is bad, and is begging for a widescreen release. As for the movie, it is good, and belongs in the upper tier of spaghettis, but is no Big Gundown.

The thing that hurts this movie the most is the lead character: John Phillip Law. He does nothing to make the role his own - he has the revenge motivation including the unique touch of remembering a feature from each of the attackers, and yet is still bland, and delivers his lines as if he's reading off of cards. There is no distinguishing factor for him (he draws quick? - just like every other protagonist). He is far outshined by Cleef, who is working with a lot less scenery, but clearly out-acts Law. Whereas in Gundown, Milian's performance (which I admit, he can sometimes entirely hinge a film on his performance) is perfectly countered by the hard-edged Cleef. Also, there is growth in Cleef's character in Gundown, whereas in DRAH we just see Law just returns Cleef's quips at him.

DRAH has a lot going for it: great scenery, nice Morricone soundtrack, Cleef perfectly cast as the former gang member looking to get even, and some nice plotted scenes, but unfortunately for me it is lowered by Law's performance. IMO a better (or even different) actor could have significantly raised this movie.

It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. You take away all he's got an' all he's ever gonna have
Yeah. Well, I guess they had it comin'
We all have it coming, Kid.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2004, 05:52:13 PM »

Right on the money 4th Gunfighter and welcome to the Leone "bunkhouse".

There is a Japanese Van Cleef box set with DRAH, TBG and The Grand Duel all in pristeen widescreen transfers, its a bit pricey though I've heard, lol.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 05:54:11 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 11:14:47 PM »

I Love this movie. This Movie totally influence KILL BILL. I did email a suggestion to MGM. I asked them to do a widescreen transfer. But No Word from them. Maybe they or not? Maybe Blue-Underground pick up the rights to it. anyway, I just love the song FROM MAN TO MAN!!!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 12:59:28 AM »

Kill Bill does owe something to DRAH but it hadn't occurred to me before. Good observation.

BTW, DRAH owes something to Raoul Walsh's Pursued, the 1947 film with Robert Mitchum and Theresa Wright. Anybody know what?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
leonefan
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 05:38:40 PM »

I was gonna get the Lee Van Cleef box set, even though it's really expensive, but I noticed that the Grand Duel doesn't have an english track.  Too bad!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 05:36:55 PM »

I was gonna get the Lee Van Cleef box set, even though it's really expensive, but I noticed that the Grand Duel doesn't have an english track.  Too bad!
That's very true.

Still, you are probably getting the best screen image of the film (and the others in the set) currently available, in the proper aspect ratio with an enhancement for widescreen TVs. That ain't chopped liver.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2004, 07:28:48 AM »

One thing that annoyed me about DRAH was the English dubbing - that's not Lee Van Cleef's voice! Or it's not on my version anyway. It certainly doesn't sound like him.

I think overall it's a little above average SW. Well worth watching, but nothing spectacular. The last half hour in the Mexican village really makes it worthwile. I also think Morricone's score is one of the best things about it.

It's class.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 05:04:58 PM »

One thing that annoyed me about DRAH was the English dubbing - that's not Lee Van Cleef's voice! Or it's not on my version anyway. It certainly doesn't sound like him.

I think overall it's a little above average SW. Well worth watching, but nothing spectacular. The last half hour in the Mexican village really makes it worthwile. I also think Morricone's score is one of the best things about it.

The voice for LVC on the Japanese DVD sure sounds like his voice to me. Everytime his character speaks it could be Mortimer talking.

The comment about the music is interesting, since I find the score one of Morricone's least memorable. Maybe it will grow on me.

The last half hour in the village *is* the best part of the movie, but there are many pleasures to be experienced before we arrive there. One of my favorites is when LVC, in conference with Groggy (not really Groggy but Luigi Pistilli) tells Nino (not Nino, but Mario Brega) to get out and close the door. Nino leaves but doesn't close the door, so LVC shoots it closed!

A few minutes later Groggy is telling LVC his plan to rob his own bank while his henchmen stand around. Groggy says something about having a million dollars in his bank because his patrons expect the money to be used for public works. Then Groggy asks, "Do you think I should build their stupid public works?" The henchmen burst into spontaneous laughter! Great, great moment.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 05:45:23 PM »

The voice for LVC on the Japanese DVD sure sounds like his voice to me. Everytime his character speaks it could be Mortimer talking.

Strange, maybe there are two versions cos mine really doesn't sound like him. The dubbed voice for John Phillip Law doesn't sound right either - not seen the actor in anything else but it sounds really deep and boomy, not like the voice of the young man he's supposed to be playing.

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2004, 04:40:05 AM »

Saw the wide screen pristine DRAH last night, the Japanese DVD is just beautiful, they must put this out in R1, The crap that's available now is a travesty. Watching this I'll have to bump DRAH up to almost a tie with The Big Gundown, the major factor thatstill  tilts towards TBG is its Morricone score (reminds you a lot of GBU), TBG was made about the time of GBU so I'm wondering if TBG might have been a reject score for GBU or if Leone liked TBG score and wanted something similar for GBU? THis is a question for the Morricone fanatics out there you guys have any knowledge about this?

The score for DRAH grows on you the more you here it though I'll admit.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2004, 09:00:04 AM »

Maybe it was just where, Morricone was at the time (1966-1968). The Mercanary, Good The Bad and The Ugly, The Big Gundown and Guns For San Sebastian. In its use of repeated signature themes to me.

The thing that is funny, the first track on the original For A Few Dollars More soundtrack. Its called 'La Resa Dei Conti'* The Italian name of Solima's (1966) The Big Gundown. There’s a Leone quote about this in 'Something To Do With Death' on a negative note against Solima, as in a stolen title.

Ennio was in a very productive period mid 60s to early 70s. There has been allot of 3 figure numbers thrown about how many films he scored. (Bruno Nicolai on performing duties, for most of these.) Which means allot of thrown out sketches for other movies. Ive always thought DRAH was made after GBU, im not sure about this, both being 1966 productions. hard to keep track  Huh

Morricone mention he had created different themes and styles for each: Leone, Sollima, Corbucci, Pertroni. On the Companeros DVD interview. A case of what the Director wanted from him.

Giulio Pertroni's Morricone scores always sounded very earthy, rich and dark in places. Death Rides a Horse (1968) 'Man To Man' and 'Poverty' on Tepepa (1970) are join at the hip... twin.

We all know what makes Leone stuff tick.

Not to sure about Corbucci though. like his films the music is chameleon. But a very poppy title theme to some films.

* Its that section of music to Indio's revenge duel on the bounty hunter, who put him behind bares. first time introduction to his little musical time keeper.  

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 09:06:14 AM by The Smoker » Logged

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2004, 02:40:16 PM »

IMDB lists this order for van Cleef films (portion from 1962 to 1968):
Man who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
How the West was Won (1962)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
Big Gundown (1966)
GBU (1966)
Blade Rider, Revenge of the Indian Nation (1966)
Day of Anger (1968)
Death Rides a Horse (1968)

Da uomo a uomo (1968) .... Ryan
... aka As Man to Man (USA)
... aka Death Rides a Horse (USA)
Giorni dell'ira, I (1968) .... Frank Talby
... aka Blood and Grit (UK: video title)
... aka Day of Anger (USA)
... aka Days of Wrath
... aka Gunlaw (UK: video title)
... aka Tod ritt dienstags, Der (West Germany)
Blade Rider, Revenge of the Indian Nations (1966) .... Charlie Yates
Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (1966) .... Sentenza
... aka Bo, el lleig i el dolent, El (Spain: Catalan title)
... aka Bueno, el feo y el malo, El (Spain)
... aka The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (USA)
... aka The Good, the Ugly, the Bad (USA: literal English title)
Resa dei conti, La (1966) .... Jonathan Corbett
... aka Account Rendered
... aka Halcón y la presa, El (Spain)
... aka The Big Gundown (USA)
Per qualche dollaro in più (1965) .... Col. Douglas Mortimer
... aka For a Few Dollars More (UK) (USA)
... aka Für ein paar Dollar mehr (West Germany)
... aka For Some Dollars More (International: English title)
... aka Muerte tenía un precio, La (Spain)
... aka Por unos cuantos dólares más (Spain)
... aka Por unos pocos dólares más (Spain)
How the West Was Won (1962) (uncredited) .... River pirate ("The Rivers")
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) ....

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2004, 09:31:27 PM »

In the TBG thread, someone mentioned that Leone thought the finished movie inferior to the more depressing original story treatment; he may also have found it too "Americanized": it sounds like a grittier version of the "devious trickster weakling becomes empowered" storyline one sometimes sees in American comic westerns, married to a fairly conventional "sympathetic tough guy with moral dilemma" storyline.

I think what Sergio was complaining about was that Sollima changed the original (Sicilian based) story, In the original the Corbet Character actually kills the Cuchillo Character before he finds out he is innocent, more of a Spaghetti twist.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2004, 06:52:08 AM »

Been watching this again, there is a great little scene at the card game before Law shoots Cavanaugh where the camera looks like its sitting in the middle of the card table as it pans all the way around the players. We get great closeups of all the players and a couple of "dance hall girls/ladies".

Now thought it is done very well you can just notice the cuts, now from what we know of Leone we can surmise that Leone would would have done this all in just one shot. This is a great example of the artistry that went into these films none the less, you didn't see any thing close in an AW. Here, they were just turning out B material with plug in actors, the only standouts where the ones with good storylines and the great ones had both the storylines and  some above average cinnematography, but even so it was not  as good as even this little piece of DRAH.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 06:59:17 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM