Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2018, 10:27:59 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
: Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)  ( 52295 )
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

: 471

« #105 : November 20, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »

I should be able to watch this today, but I need to wait for a PAL-friendly DVD player turns up.

Have you tried to hack your DVD player to make it region free? Check these links:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

http://www.dvdhacks.co.uk/

You can find more sites in Google by typing dvd hacks.

I have a Philips DVP642 and it plays virtually anything I throw at it since I made it region free, except for the latest formats. Unfortunately, Philips has not updated its firmware in a long, long time. :(

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

: 13927

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #106 : November 20, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »

Hope you're watching it in the correct AR.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #107 : November 20, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »

Have you tried to hack your DVD player to make it region free? Check these links:

I have a Philips DVP642 and it plays virtually anything I throw at it since I made it region free, except for the latest formats. Unfortunately, Philips has not updated its firmware in a long, long time. :(
If you have laptop you can watch anything, provided you run DVD43 and Media Player Classic. I haven't found anything the two together won't play yet.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

: 1591

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #108 : November 20, 2008, 11:34:33 AM »

This a must-see Spaghetti western.  Just ignore the dumb-ass lyrics in the title song (if you can understand them):

He'll be - comin- down the - mountain

Who'll be the first to draw his gun?

Who'll be the first to hit the ground?

The Spaghetti Western Orchestra had some fun with this one, even had lyrics "cue" cards they showed to the audience.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

« #109 : November 20, 2008, 11:39:20 AM »

If you have laptop you can watch anything, provided you run DVD43 and Media Player Classic. I haven't found anything the two together won't play yet.

True, and same goes for a desktop computer. Between CyberLink Power DVD and Media Player Classic I can play virtually any media in my computer, but it does not look the best on a 17" monitor.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

: 11458

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #110 : November 20, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »

I need to watch it at the library. They only have two region-free DVD players there, ergo I wasn't able to watch it righ taway.

« : November 20, 2008, 12:01:44 PM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

: 5106

OH SH*T!

« #111 : November 20, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »

Haven't seen this one in a while even though I own it. I gotta pop this one into the DVD player when I get the chance.

And I agree with Banjo that the soundtrack is amazing, really gives you the feeling of savagery. I have the soundtrack on my ipod.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #112 : November 20, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »

Well, just got done seeing it, here's my mini-review.

This is probably the best non-Leone Spaghetti Western I've seen to date. Although there were some silly elements it had a maturity and style that were missing from most of the other SWs I've seen.

The movie's biggest flaw is probably John Phillip Law. I've seen him in several movies and I'm sorry, but I have to put him in the same class as Keanu Reeves, Orlando Bloom and Ryan O'Neal. His usual blandness is exacerbated by his inexplicable attempt to play a homely young cowboy; he seems to be doing a ridiculously bad John Wayne impression throughout. He was also given a lot of bad dialogue to chew (my favorite being the line "You have any place to keep your womenfolk and young'uns safe?" :D) and he just doesn't seem right. There were some other elements I didn't really care for; the flashbacks were overused and too obvious (made worse by Law explaining it to the characters), and as in most SWs the dubbing and screenplay are pretty bad.

The cinematography was extremely well-done for the most part, certainly in the same league as a lot of Leone's work. The opening scene is done in a wonderfully striking and nightmarish manner, and there are a number of cool style points throughout the film (Law firing an empty gun simultaneous to Cleef). The final battle/shootout in the wind-swept ghost town is excellent, although it could have used a bit more set-up IMO, and Pistilli died too quickly to provide catharsis, but that's just my opinion.

What makes this movie work more than anything else is Lee Van Cleef. He's a complete badass throughout, easily as cool and deadly as Colonel Mortimer, and he carries every scene he's in with stark dignity and charisma. As bad as Law is, Van Cleef is an effortlessly strong protagonist. The bad guys are also quite good, particularly Luigi Pistilli and Anthony Dawson.

Morricone's score is quite good; I've known the main theme for years since it turned up on a Morricone compilation CD I bought several years back, and the other music is well-done too. Although I noticed he uses both of his saloon themes from FAFDM here... ;)

Very good movie, I give it a 7/10. O0

« : November 20, 2008, 08:37:35 PM Groggy »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

: 12988

easy come easy go

« #113 : November 20, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »

Which release were you able to watch, I have the SPO Japan version, also give us a list of the Spaghetti Westerns you have seen so we have an idea of what you are comparing it to, thanks.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #114 : November 20, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »

I agree that the SPO release is the way to see the film (so far) on video.

Good review, Grogs. I think you were more than fair. A couple of standout moments not mentioned: when Mario Brega doesn't close the door as he is asked to, LVC shoots it closed. And then there is that moment when Groggy--I mean, Pistilli--asks his fellow gang members something like: "Well? Should I help them build their stupid public works?" and then the gang breaks into some of the best evil laughter ever committed to soundtrack.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #115 : November 20, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »

Check out the train conductors they really stand out as as European rather than as how a regular American conductor dresses, you never see them in those long overcoats/type of dusters here. That was a faux pas on the costuming.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #116 : November 20, 2008, 08:40:36 PM »

Which release were you able to watch, I have the SPO Japan version, also give us a list of the Spaghetti Westerns you have seen so we have an idea of what you are comparing it to, thanks.

To date I've only seen (besides DRAH):

Sabata
My Name is Nobody
Bullet For the General
Django
The Great Silence
The Price of Power

My favorite of those so far is Django, honorable mention to The Great Silence. Can't say I cared much for the others listed.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

« #117 : November 20, 2008, 09:05:11 PM »

To date I've only seen (besides DRAH):

Sabata
My Name is Nobody
Bullet For the General
Django
The Great Silence
The Price of Power

My favorite of those so far is Django, honorable mention to The Great Silence. Can't say I cared much for the others listed.

That's not much, but you have to start somewhere  :). While many SWs are just trash, there are quite a few worthwile watching (if you can find them). If you like Lee Van Cleef, try The Big Gundown,  Day of Anger,  The Grand Duel, El Condor (not a SW, but almost), Sabata, and Return of Sabata. From Franco Nero I would watch Compaņeros, The Mercenary, and the lesser Long Live Your Death.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #118 : November 20, 2008, 09:21:26 PM »

I've not had a great desire to ensconce myself in the genre, but I give a title a look every once in awhile. What's the saying/cliche? Too many films, so little time?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #119 : November 21, 2008, 07:36:49 AM »

Yea Grogy you are seriously lacking in your Nero library his three best in my opinion are Il Mercenario, Keoma, and Vamos A Matar Compenero's, and totaly devoid of any Tomas Milian experience.

The four major pillars of SW actors are Eastwood, Van Cleef, Nero, Milian,  then come Gema, Garko, and the rest.

: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines