Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2018, 07:06:22 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
: Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)  ( 55252 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #135 : February 26, 2013, 03:46:10 AM »

I really enjoyed this one, might put it on my "to buy" list.
Did anyone notice the FOD soundtrack playing at the beginning when the bandits are murdering his family?

No, now I have an excuse to watch it again  ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

« #136 : February 26, 2013, 03:50:10 AM »

haha awesome! O0

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #137 : February 26, 2013, 11:14:50 AM »

No that.  But the saloon music is same as For A Few Dollars More.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #138 : February 26, 2013, 02:54:02 PM »

No that.  But the saloon music is same as For A Few Dollars More.

It was a popular saloon tune in Almeria.  ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

« #139 : March 12, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »

If you watch the massacre of the family at the beginning, and then watch the massacre at the Baxter house in FOD, you'll notice the similarities.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #140 : August 27, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »

is the Italian title Da Uomo A Uomo? what does that mean?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #141 : August 27, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »

From Man to Man, unless I'm mistaken.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #142 : August 28, 2013, 01:31:28 AM »

Yes, From Man to Man

One of the few English SW titles not directly translated. Sounds ridiculous to my German ears.

« : August 28, 2013, 01:38:11 AM stanton »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #143 : August 28, 2013, 02:35:32 AM »

Yes, From Man to Man

One of the few English SW titles not directly translated. Sounds ridiculous to my German ears.

also The Big Gundown is not directly translated from La Resa Dei Conti, The Setting of Accounts.

what sounds ridiculous to you? "From Man to Man" or "Death Rides a Horse"? What about Der Gehetzte der Sierra Madre - does that mean "The Hunted of the Sierra Madre"? That sound like a better title to you?

And A Bullet for the General is "El Chuncho, Quien Sabe? what does that mean?

I think some of these English titles for spags are hilarious. Kinda like some of the titles of American noir films, all sorts of random words or phrases with some combination of Night or Dark or Killing or Death or Murder or whatever. Names like Decoy, Destination:Murder, Conflict, etc.  ;D

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #144 : August 28, 2013, 04:12:39 AM »

Death Rides a horse is an idiotic title for a western imo.

The German titles are often the worst of all. Many are only laughable. The dubs are also often bad. German dubs are normally of a comparatively high standard, but the lack of respect towards SWs lead to a disrespect towards the original version. Absurd or superfluous changes were made (there is no Sierra Madre in The Big Gundown), dialogues added where nothing is said and sometimes even a kind of comedy dub created for a serious actioner. And of course nearly all SWs were released in cut versions, sometimes heavily cut versions. 26 min missing in The Big Gundown or 20 min missing in Quien sabe?

El Chuncho, Quien Sabe? doesn't also make that much sense. The original Italian title is only Quien Sabe? (btw in Germany: Kill Amigo), which is Spanish and means Who Knows? . That is what Chuncho answers to the dying Bill Tate at the end, and that gives the ending a meaning which is different from what many interpreted into it.

In that case the English title spoils too much about the film's story.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #145 : August 28, 2013, 04:38:18 AM »

I guess the mountains where "the settling of accounts" (or "the big gundown") are the Sierra Madre.

Even in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, the Sierra Madre is actually never mentioned.

All those problems you mentioned RE: spags in Germany can probably be said in America as well.

the English dub on The Big Gundown is laughable. The Big Gundown is a stupid title, real generic that could apply to anything. The movie was butchered, is still not available in an officially released decent version. Death Rides a Horse is also not available in a decent widescreen version.

Of the spags that are available, they're often packaged in boxsets of a bunch of movies for a few bucks http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/178-6098904-1399237?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=spaghetti%20western&sprefix=spagh%2Cmovies-tv&rh=i%3Amovies-tv%2Ck%3Aspaghetti%20western
which tells you that whoever is releasing them doesn't think customers would pay for an individual movie. (I recently bought a 2-dvd set of 8 spags for $4 in Best Buy). And when these movies are released - whether as a single movie or part of a multi-pack, it's always released by some unknown production company. I don't know of any non-Leone spag that has had a serious release from a major studio.

To be sure, I am no authority on non-Leone spags; not even close. I have only seen four non-Leone spags in my life: Death Rides a Horse, The Big Gundown, Django, and The Mercenary. From everything I have read on these boards, those 4 titles are the ones that come up frequently when people are discussing the best spags (along with a very few others, like A Bullet for the General and The Great Silence. From everything else I've read, the vast majority of spags are pretty awful. So maybe the lack of respect shown toward spags is somewhat justified? Even among the four titles I mentioned, which are supposed to be the better ones and in which I think there is some real good stuff (Django is probably my favorite, and it actually has a nice blu ray release from Blue Underground, albeit with a thick layer of fake grain), there's lots of crazy outrageous stuff that's far beyond anything even Leone would dream of. So, if the lesser films have all that crazy outrageous shit but are not even good, I can just imagine why spags in general are given so little respect.

Are there any spags that I haven't seen that actually attempt to be serious movies, or is the crazy outrageous stuff a feature of them all? Like, is there any spag that you could theoretically see John Wayne having starred in? I'm not asking whether it's good or not; that's just a matter of opinion; I'm asking if there are any that actually attempt to be "serious," rather than outrageous, films?

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #146 : August 28, 2013, 05:08:20 AM »

The seriousness of a SW is different to the seriousness of a US western.

A SW in which Wayne could be a star with his usual image, is not a real SW.

SWs don't care for the mythological implications of the genre, they only use it as a vague background for films about killing. SWs are culturally rooted in a South European way of thinking. And then crossed with the elements the directors liked the most about westerns. Skip the romance, increase the action.

There are a lot of interesting and unusual SWs. Depends on ones taste which you like and which not. Compared to US westerns most of them have a decadent feel in them.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #147 : August 28, 2013, 05:38:04 AM »

Tepepa, Cemetery Without Crosses, Face To Face, Run Man Run, Day of Anger, and if you liked Django then Companeros

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #148 : August 28, 2013, 05:56:37 AM »

The seriousness of a SW is different to the seriousness of a US western.

A SW in which Wayne could be a star with his usual image, is not a real SW.

SWs don't care for the mythological implications of the genre, they only use it as a vague background for films about killing. SWs are culturally rooted in a South European way of thinking. And then crossed with the elements the directors liked the most about westerns. Skip the romance, increase the action.

There are a lot of interesting and unusual SWs. Depends on ones taste which you like and which not. Compared to US westerns most of them have a decadent feel in them.

yes, that's one of Frayling's major points that he always makes when discussing Leone's films (and spags in general): that early critics of spags were viewing them as ersatz versions of AW's, whereas Frayling has always argued that they are Mediterranean films, nothing to do with the AW.

Frayling also likes to quote from someone who used to say, paraphrasing, In America, western story was part of (cultural) ancestry, In Italy there is no frontier, no cowboys n' Indians, etc.; all they have is the AW's they grew up loving. Therefore, - [and this is the key point] - "the American Western was born from a myth, whereas the Italian Western was born from a myth about a myth."

I am not talking about romance; there are plenty of AW's in which there is no rommnce - or at least, in which the romance is merely a distracting version of the story (Leone used to say, the version of the OK Corrall without Rhonda Fleming - the version going on in your head - is a much better one (I don't think he meant that as a crticism of Fleming specifically, but as a criticism for the way women are used in the AW.

When I say a "serious" Western, I mean a Western without the outrageousness that you see in so many spags.

« : August 29, 2013, 09:02:14 PM drinkanddestroy »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #149 : August 28, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »

I guess the mountains where "the settling of accounts" (or "the big gundown") are the Sierra Madre.

No, it is only a dub Sierra. Invented for the German title and with one alibi dialogue added ("he tries to escape over the Sierra Madre") at the beginning.

: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines