Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2018, 04:39:36 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
: Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)  ( 55164 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #150 : November 26, 2013, 06:51:15 AM »

I've been on a sort of a hiatus from Westerns for the past year but the recent upgrade to a 50 inch TV has provided an incentment to re watch Westerns I'm doing it formulaic-ally SW-AW-SW and probably insert some EW's into the mix. Wow, Death Rides a Horse looks amazing, as did The Bravados the day before, its going to be the start of a great winter of Westerns  O0 O0 O0 O0

I have an SPO Japan DVDr made for me by FrancoCleef and it still is top notch. Stay away form any Pan & Scan cheapo copies

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #151 : December 17, 2013, 01:32:48 PM »

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4384mann.html

Ordered!

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #152 : December 17, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »

I have read it is a HD transfer of the same master which was used for the old MGM DVD. And that the Blu has only 17 GB, which leaves room for some compression.

But still a high improvement to the single sided DVD.

« : December 17, 2013, 01:39:46 PM stanton »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #153 : December 26, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Death-Rides-a-Horse-Blu-ray/81631/#Review

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

« #154 : December 31, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »

TBG was made about the time of GBU so I'm wondering if TBG might have been a reject score for GBU or if Leone liked TBG score and wanted something similar for GBU? THis is a question for the Morricone fanatics out there you guys have any knowledge about this?

great minds think alike!
 8)

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #155 : August 29, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »

titoli get a decent copy, the P&S really sucks and its not fair to judge it from that copy.

Watched it again in the right format and with the original italian dubbing. Still unconvinced of its merits. BTW the similarities with other Vincenzoni scripts (especially FFDM) are evident.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #156 : January 04, 2016, 10:45:07 PM »

so I see no one has posted here for a while ...

I was just looking at the Lee Van Cleef site

and saw this post (from a couple of months ago) RE: framing on the Explosive Media BRD of Death Rides a Horse http://thebadnet.blogspot.ca/2015/10/death-rides-horse-blu-ray-framing-issue.html

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #157 : January 05, 2016, 02:45:39 AM »

It seems that MGM has a faulty master, that the last reel is damaged on top or bottom. Instead of getting new film elements from Italy thy solved the "challenge" by using only a much smaller apart of the image (including panning through the image like in the good ole' full frame p&s era), which results in some odd looking images and a massive loss of picture quality. At least it does not look too odd as it wasn't mentioned before. The old MGM DVD is taken from the same master, and the lesser picture quality is there already visible.

But then I also did not notice then, but on the other it is not a film for which I care much. I still don't have a clue why this ordinary Spag should be one of the best of the sub-genre. Compared to Leone or the best Corbucci films it is ... well, not garbage, but at least a pale one.
At least in Germany this film was never considered as good as in the English speaking world.

Moorman

« #158 : January 26, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »

Saw this tonight.  Very, Very, Very good movie. I was surprised. I loved everything about this movie.

1.  The cinematography.  Got to see a lot of locations i haven't seen before.

2.  The script. The plot was on point. It was more believable to me than Van Cleef's character popping up in the middle of a civil war prison camp as a officer in GBU, lol.  The gunplay was pretty good.

3.  The acting.  Very good. Everybody was on point. Van Cleef was perfect as usual.  Luigi Pistilli got lots of screen time as the bad guy.

4. Music score- Pretty good. Not what i'm used to hearing, but my western library isn't that deep yet. Enno did a fantastic job with it.

Overall.... i rate it a  8/10  That may seem high to folks, but it hit on everything i love about westerns...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #159 : January 27, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »

Saw this tonight.  Very, Very, Very good movie. I was surprised. I loved everything about this movie.

1.  The cinematography.  Got to see a lot of locations i haven't seen before.

2.  The script. The plot was on point. It was more believable to me than Van Cleef's character popping up in the middle of a civil war prison camp as a officer in GBU, lol.  The gunplay was pretty good.

3.  The acting.  Very good. Everybody was on point. Van Cleef was perfect as usual.  Luigi Pistilli got lots of screen time as the bad guy.

4. Music score- Pretty good. Not what i'm used to hearing, but my western library isn't that deep yet. Enno did a fantastic job with it.

Overall.... i rate it a  8/10  That may seem high to folks, but it hit on everything i love about westerns...

Re#2: Did you see the 177-minute version of GBU or the 161-minute version?

The longer version has a scene (the "Fort scene") that explains that Van Cleef found out that Carson -if he were still alive - would end up at Betterville; not too hard to imagine that he (perhaps with a military past) would go enlist for the Union and get a job at the camp in the hopes of meeting Carson there.

In the 161-minute version, that scene was cut. In the SLWB, most of us - those who prefer the long version and those who prefer the short, or somewhere in between - agree that this is the most important of the cut scenes. Some people who prefer the shorter version still say this one scene should not have been cut out.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #160 : January 27, 2017, 03:05:44 AM »

I'm confused about this GBU discussion on a Death Rides a Horse thread. What movie are we rating here?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #161 : January 27, 2017, 04:32:05 AM »

Saw this tonight.  Very, Very, Very good movie. I was surprised. I loved everything about this movie.

1.  The cinematography.  Got to see a lot of locations i haven't seen before.

2.  The script. The plot was on point. It was more believable to me than Van Cleef's character popping up in the middle of a civil war prison camp as a officer in GBU, lol.  The gunplay was pretty good.

3.  The acting.  Very good. Everybody was on point. Van Cleef was perfect as usual.  Luigi Pistilli got lots of screen time as the bad guy.

Overall.... i rate it a  8/10  That may seem high to folks, but it hit on everything i love about westerns...

Yea the fort scene in GBU pretty much explains it can be fictionalized this way in the GBU timeline ;-)

"Angel Eyes is at Ft. Marcy converted into a makeshift hospital outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico Territory (the other two Confederate hospitals were in Albuquerque, and Socorro). He finds out that Canby and the Union Forces have cut the Confederates to pieces at the Battles of Apache Canyon & Glorieta. If Carson is taken alive as a prisoner he will be sent to Batterville Camp (900 miles East). AE leaves for Batterville along the Santa Fe Trail, traveling at an average of 30 miles a day he reaches the vicinity of Batterville in a month. (what makes the most sense is for Batterville to be near Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas & St. Joseph, Missouri, historically the closest Union POW Camp was in Illinois but this early in the war prisoners were actually most likely pardoned).

Mid May -1862: Angel Eyes waylays a Union Sergeant newly assigned to the camp assumes his identity, and awaits the possible arrival of Bill Carson while running a black market ring at the camp."

Yea I agree Luigi Pistilli gets more time as the leader of the bad guys, don't know what Stanton is talking about.

The best of Lee Van Cleef's post For A Few Dollars More (Leone Western) films are for me anyway:

The Big Gundown (introduces Tomas Milian as Cuchillo - Milian is another big star of the Spaghetti Westerns and you'll get a kick out of his films also)
Death Rides A Horse

After these two come

Day of Anger a bit flawed because of budgetary constraints
Barquero an American Western with Warren Oates
El Condor a Euro Western with Jim Brown

Then you have Sabata and Return of Sabata which are more in the vein of the TV show "The Wild Wild West" Van Cleef is a sort of secret agent.

After that they get a bit too off the wall for me

Beyond the Law
Captain Apache
Bad Man's River
The Grand Duel

« : January 27, 2017, 04:51:43 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman

« #162 : January 27, 2017, 05:23:17 AM »

Re#2: Did you see the 177-minute version of GBU or the 161-minute version?

The longer version has a scene (the "Fort scene") that explains that Van Cleef found out that Carson -if he were still alive - would end up at Betterville; not too hard to imagine that he (perhaps with a military past) would go enlist for the Union and get a job at the camp in the hopes of meeting Carson there.

In the 161-minute version, that scene was cut. In the SLWB, most of us - those who prefer the long version and those who prefer the short, or somewhere in between - agree that this is the most important of the cut scenes. Some people who prefer the shorter version still say this one scene should not have been cut out.

I have the 161 minute version. I always hated that he just pops up, booted and suited as a officer, no explanation given. And even so, its still awkward to explain it instead of showing how he got his position.

Moorman

« #163 : January 27, 2017, 05:28:58 AM »

Yea the fort scene in GBU pretty much explains it can be fictionalized this way in the GBU timeline ;-)

"Angel Eyes is at Ft. Marcy converted into a makeshift hospital outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico Territory (the other two Confederate hospitals were in Albuquerque, and Socorro). He finds out that Canby and the Union Forces have cut the Confederates to pieces at the Battles of Apache Canyon & Glorieta. If Carson is taken alive as a prisoner he will be sent to Batterville Camp (900 miles East). AE leaves for Batterville along the Santa Fe Trail, traveling at an average of 30 miles a day he reaches the vicinity of Batterville in a month. (what makes the most sense is for Batterville to be near Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas & St. Joseph, Missouri, historically the closest Union POW Camp was in Illinois but this early in the war prisoners were actually most likely pardoned).

Mid May -1862: Angel Eyes waylays a Union Sergeant newly assigned to the camp assumes his identity, and awaits the possible arrival of Bill Carson while running a black market ring at the camp."

Yea I agree Luigi Pistilli gets more time as the leader of the bad guys, don't know what Stanton is talking about.

The best of Lee Van Cleef's post For A Few Dollars More (Leone Western) films are for me anyway:

The Big Gundown (introduces Tomas Milian as Cuchillo - Milian is another big star of the Spaghetti Westerns and you'll get a kick out of his films also)
Death Rides A Horse

After these two come

Day of Anger a bit flawed because of budgetary constraints
Barquero an American Western with Warren Oates
El Condor a Euro Western with Jim Brown

Then you have Sabata and Return of Sabata which are more in the vein of the TV show "The Wild Wild West" Van Cleef is a sort of secret agent.

After that they get a bit too off the wall for me

Beyond the Law
Captain Apache
Bad Man's River
The Grand Duel

I thought i was correct about Luigi playing the bad guy.  I can't wait to see The Big Gundown, Day of Anger and Sabata.  May take a flyer on Barquero also...
Van Cleef is one of my favorites. I'm soo glad he got to do those SWS' after GBU... Gonna check out Sabata sometime in the next few days...

« : January 27, 2017, 05:38:12 AM Moorman »
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #164 : January 27, 2017, 05:39:57 AM »

I'm confused about this GBU discussion on a Death Rides a Horse thread. What movie are we rating here?

Ha ha, I was obviously tricked by D&D to think that Moorman wrote about GBU. I remove my post above (which is then not above anymore, but still in board-heaven above)

: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines