Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2018, 01:18:35 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
: Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)  ( 55099 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #180 : December 23, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »

check out Day Of Anger too, it's got some faults but its decent, and if you haven't seen Lee Van Cleef's first American Western after the Spags check out Barquero also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman

« #181 : December 23, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »

check out Day Of Anger too, it's got some faults but its decent, and if you haven't seen Lee Van Cleef's first American Western after the Spags check out Barquero also.

I've seen both films.  I commented on your review of Day of Anger in that thread.  Barquero is a excellent, UNDERRATED film.  I think its one of Van Cleef's and Warren Oates better films.  I wrote a review of it in the Barquero thread. I was amazed at how the writers took something  simple ( Oates character needing the barge to get across the river), and made it into a fantastic script...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #182 : December 23, 2017, 05:09:32 PM »

I've seen both films.  I commented on your review of Day of Anger in that thread.  Barquero is a excellent, UNDERRATED film.  I think its one of Van Cleef's and Warren Oates better films.  I wrote a review of it in the Barquero thread. I was amazed at how the writers took something  simple ( Oates character needing the barge to get across the river), and made it into a fantastic script...

O0 O0 O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #183 : December 23, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »

I agree that this and The Big Gundown are the 2 non-Leone spags I like most.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #184 : December 24, 2017, 04:38:15 AM »

Not for me.
There are more than 50 Spags I easily enjoy more than Da uomo a uomo, which is too often an ordinary film. The Big Gundown is much better, but also not in the same category as let's say FoD or FaFDM.

Actually I was quite disappointed the first time I watched Da uomo a uomo, but meanwhile I think it is an ok film.

Moorman

« #185 : December 24, 2017, 07:46:13 AM »

Not for me.
There are more than 50 Spags I easily enjoy more than Da uomo a uomo, which is too often an ordinary film. The Big Gundown is much better, but also not in the same category as let's say FoD or FaFDM.

Actually I was quite disappointed the first time I watched Da uomo a uomo, but meanwhile I think it is an ok film.

I totally disagree.  This movie is the closest spaghetti  western I've seen SO FAR to what Leone did with the dollars films. There is no slapstick in this film. The plot, cinematography, I mean everything was pure Leone. Leone DID have a small element of slspstick with the Tuco character,  but the tone of GBU was still that of a more serious film.  It's the same with this film. In fact, I almost consider it a masterpiece in the genre.  

« : December 24, 2017, 07:52:07 AM Moorman »
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #186 : December 24, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »

Closer to mediocrity than to a masterpiece. Petroni was not a good director, and that shows ...

Corbucci was the only Spag director who had the talent to rival Leone, and he sometimes did.

Moorman

« #187 : December 24, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »

Closer to mediocrity than to a masterpiece. Petroni was not a good director, and that shows ...

Corbucci was the only Spag director who had the talent to rival Leone, and he sometimes did.

The essential  top 20 sphagetti westerns list has this film in their top 10.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Essential_Top_20_Films

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #188 : December 24, 2017, 04:06:46 PM »

No for me Corbucci is Hit or Miss, I like The Great Silence, The Mercenary, and Companeros, are about it for me, I don't think that much for Django either.

Check out this thread: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1362.0

« : December 24, 2017, 04:09:30 PM cigar joe »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #189 : December 25, 2017, 06:21:32 AM »

The essential  top 20 sphagetti westerns list has this film in their top 10.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Essential_Top_20_Films

I know, I compiled that list. ;)

I have seen every film in these top 100, and many more of the lesser Spags, at least I know my Spaggies, and for me it is by far the weakest film in that top 20. But of course I know that other SW fans like it much more than do.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #190 : December 25, 2017, 06:32:41 AM »

No for me Corbucci is Hit or Miss, I like The Great Silence, The Mercenary, and Companeros, are about it for me, I don't think that much for Django either.

Of course he is hit and miss, cause he wasted his talent, it even seems later in his career that he totally lost everything he once could.

But what counts is that in his best films he did remarkable things. Django has some brilliant stuff, but unfortunately the second half (actually all the parts with the Mexicans) is often comparatively weak, before he comes back to form with that marvellous ending.
Point is that he did westerns which belong to the most unusual ever done in the genre, and in these his directing belongs to the best of the whole genre. But his complete western output with 12 SWs in 10 years (but the last one being more a comedy than a western) encloses also some rather mediocre films.
Well, he could be brilliant, but he also could be rather bad.

But in his best films he was far ahead of every other SW director (except Leone). And that French SW by Robert Hossein, but Hossein made only one western.

Moorman

« #191 : December 25, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »

I know, I compiled that list. ;)

I have seen every film in these top 100, and many more of the lesser Spags, at least I know my Spaggies, and for me it is by far the weakest film in that top 20. But of course I know that other SW fans like it much more than do.

How did you or whoever vote put GBU over Once Upon a Time in the West?  Its a fantastic list, but GBU is not the best sphagetti western in my book. Heck, i don't even think its the best of the dollars trilogy, much less the top sphag of all time. I would put For A Few Dollars More over it.  Death Rides a Horse and The Big Gundown should both be closer to the top 5. I haven't seen all the films in that list, so i'm sure i will be making some adjustments...

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #192 : December 27, 2017, 06:06:51 AM »

How did you or whoever vote put GBU over Once Upon a Time in the West?

By simply having more fun while watching GBU?

The voting was done by meanwhile about 180 SW fans, who should name their favourite Spags, which means those they like the most, they watch the most. Personal favourites, subjective preferences, not any senseless try to make an "objective" list. Still I'm sure enough tried the last nonetheless.
Older lists will be taken out from time to time, so that it can reflect a change in tastes, and better home video releases of lesser known films gives them a chance to get become part of the list. With so much voters it has some value in reflecting what SW fans worldwide like, as it displays a consensus of individual tastes.

For me OUTW is doubtless the best SW, but GBU is pretty close, and FaFDM is a lesser film compared to these 2, and also a lesser film compared to The Great Silence and The Mercenary, the 2 bold Corbucci masterpieces. Ans Teh Big Gundown, well, as a director Sollima can't compete with Corbucci at his best.

Moorman

« #193 : December 27, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »

By simply having more fun while watching GBU?

The voting was done by meanwhile about 180 SW fans, who should name their favourite Spags, which means those they like the most, they watch the most. Personal favourites, subjective preferences, not any senseless try to make an "objective" list. Still I'm sure enough tried the last nonetheless.
Older lists will be taken out from time to time, so that it can reflect a change in tastes, and better home video releases of lesser known films gives them a chance to get become part of the list. With so much voters it has some value in reflecting what SW fans worldwide like, as it displays a consensus of individual tastes.

For me OUTW is doubtless the best SW, but GBU is pretty close, and FaFDM is a lesser film compared to these 2, and also a lesser film compared to The Great Silence and The Mercenary, the 2 bold Corbucci masterpieces. Ans Teh Big Gundown, well, as a director Sollima can't compete with Corbucci at his best.

Cool.  There was a vote.  I think it comes down to taste. I've mentioned before that i personally don't like the "comedy, slapstick " elements in the sphagetti westerns.  I prefer a more serious tone in the films i like.  Thats why i like FAFDM more than i like GBU.  Death Rides a Horse has the same tone as FAFDM and a Fist Full of Dollars, which is why i've said its the closest to the Leone Dollars films ( of the sphagetti westerns i've seen), than other sphagetti westerns. 

Of the few sphagetti westerns i've seen, Sabatha is another film that personally, i liked, but it had waay to much quirky, slapstick like tones to it.  The convoluted plot didn't help matters much.  The guy with the jingly boots REALLY irked me also.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #194 : December 28, 2017, 03:56:53 AM »

It's always taste. Whatelse?
There is no truth about art, only opinions.

I don't think there is more comedy in GBU compared to FAFDM. All Leone films have their funny moments, but they are no comedies. There is always plenty to laugh in OuTW too.

Of course Death Rides a Horse shares some similarities to FAFDM, at least the screenplay-writer worked on  both, and Death Rides a Horse was filmed as written, but what counts is not the story, but how it all was filmed, and in that regard Death Rides a Horse is mostly ordinary stuff for me.

: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines