Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 03:26:51 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
: Death Rides a Horse aka Da uomo a uomo (1967)  ( 56851 )
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #90 : July 30, 2006, 02:30:40 PM »

It is nice. Very mellow. A perfect song for a lazy summer day.
well never thought of it that way. My take is that its mellow but has a dark tone to it.

I attribute it to a funeral during a sunset.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #91 : July 30, 2006, 02:32:56 PM »

well never thought of it that way. My take is that its mellow but has a dark tone to it.

I attribute it to a funeral during a sunset.

I imagine the sunset feel to it, that's why I can imagine it as a good song for a summer day  ( don't ask me why ).

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #92 : July 30, 2006, 02:33:58 PM »

I imagine the sunset feel to it, that's why I can imagine it as a good song for a summer day  ( don't ask me why ).

no thats cool Peace. i'm just saying that we all have different visions of it.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #93 : July 30, 2006, 02:35:09 PM »

no thats cool Peace. i'm just saying that we all have different visions of it.

Different visions for different people.   ;)

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #94 : July 30, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »

different strokes for different folks. ;D

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #95 : July 30, 2006, 02:39:43 PM »

different strokes for different folks. ;D

Oh God! Please don't remind me of my old Bio teacher! He always said that. I never liked him, he was an unsociable a**hole.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #96 : July 30, 2006, 02:51:01 PM »

Oh God! Please don't remind me of my old Bio teacher! He always said that. I never liked him, he was an unsociable a**hole.

:-\ sorry  :-\

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #97 : July 30, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »

:-\ sorry  :-\

It's okay. Didn't mean to sound demanding, I just hated that guy.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #98 : July 30, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »

Van Cleef double for 3.50? You got ripped off...I got DRAH together with nine other westerns/SW for 10$.

No, my friend. YOU got ripped off. I could run down to Fred Meyer right now and get FIFTY westerns right now (including DRaH) for fifteen dollars. Unfortunately, I have not heard of any of the other forty-nine westerns.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #99 : July 30, 2006, 08:24:04 PM »

:o ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #100 : May 25, 2007, 03:27:45 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

Death Rides A Horse

An excellent, rip roaring revenge spaghetti that grabs you from the outset, even if the "shocking surprise" at the end can be guessed within the first ten minutes this fun, nasty, dark, suspenseful, stuffed with action and humerous film is another great film in the spaghetti genre.
This film opens savagely with a family being raped and then killed. One boy survives who grows up to become Bill (John Philip Law) a man forever looking for the people who murded his folks. One day, a man called Ryan (Lee Van Cleef) is released from incarceration. Angry for being betrayed, he goes out to get those who framed him and put him in prison. Bill finds out that Ryan is after the same gang he is and is killing them off, before he lets him finish Bill chases Ryan and a strange partnership is formed.
       The opening of the film literally throws you into the deep end. You have no cute family scenes, the only scene before the massacre is some men and Bill's father arriving at Bills house with $200,000, told to the audience through rather clunky dialogue. The title sequence offers us no escape as we see through out the men sneaking up to the house to do the horrific deed. This whole opening is expertly directed by Guilo Petroni, who uses voyeuristic techniques by giving us the POV of the young Bill watching his mother and his sister being violated by the brutal men. In this sequence we see the only means that Bill has to identify each one. A face, a tatoo, an earring, a scar and a pendulant of the man who saved him.
     Lee Van Cleef plays Ryan as man haunted by his past events and driven by anger aimed at the men who set him up in jail. As soon as he meets young Bill, he becomes a father like figure to the young man, teaching him the elements of gun play and almost playing with him during the chase for the other bandits.
    John Philip Law plays Bill as if he was a younger Ryan, a fact that will become important later on in the story. He is constantly driven by anger and the desire to revenge his parents. His gun control is remarkable and even impresses Ryan. Bill looks up to Ryan affectionatly, calling him Grandpa and joking around with him. These two actors and characters make for a great partnership.
    These elements sound very familiar to another film I reviewed. It seems that Day of Anger, made a year later, would use a lot of the teacher, pupil theme from this movie, with dialogue in both films sounding very similar.
     Direction is of a high quality with action scenes, and those containing the dark humour so vital to the series being handled expertly. Cinematography is grand but gritty, often the frame is dirtied by dust or dirt. Morriconne's score is, in my opinion, better then the one he did for The Big Gundown. Whilst it maybe leaner in volume, it does contain some much more pleasing and intersting themes. Also the music that plays in the begining seems like an early guitar version of the theme from the underated score of John Carpenter's The Thing.
     MGM's R2 DVD release presents a very nice transfer. It is sharp, colors arn't too washed out and despite having some print damage seems to be in very good shape. Was surprised at how low the bitrate was for the entire film and I wonder if the transfer would look even better with a higher rate. The English 2.0 mono was good, even with its age limitations and I could detect no hiss or clicks. Other audio options found on the disc are, German Mono, French Mono, Italian and Spanish Mono. There are also a wide range of subtitles available including English language. There are no extras, a very ugly menu and a non-skippable ant-piracy advertisement (I am heavily against piracy but this advert is godawful.)
     Death Rides A Horse is an action orientated, buddy revenge movie. It has the right balance of all the ingredients to make a good spaghetti and should be checked out by fans new and old.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #101 : May 26, 2007, 05:44:09 AM »

Silenzio's review:-

Death Rides a Horse

This, needless to say, is a classic spaghetti western not to be missed. The direction by Giulio Petroni is all-around solid. I have no real complaints about it in that aspect. The score is awesome (thank you Ennio) and Lee Van Cleef (as usual) is badass. He makes any spaghetti western he's in better by his moustache alone. Note that he shaved his moustache in Captain Apache. Also note that Captain Apache is widely considered to suck ass (this relationship of "awesome" to "moustache" can not be a coincidence).  I'm going to have to do the typical thing and complain about the one thing about this movie that just doesn't do it for me: John Phillip Law. He's too wooden. I'm glad there was actually more focus on Cleef's character than Law's, Cleef gets much more screen time. Other than that, everything's great. The plot, though not the most original thing, is good, with some classic dialogue courtesy of mister Luciano Vincenzoni, who's work with Leone is unforgettable. And Law's gunplay is really good. In my top ten (but then again that's not saying much out of only 25 non-Leone spaghettis). I would go on, but most people here have seen this one anyway.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #102 : May 26, 2007, 12:04:43 PM »

DEATH RIDES A HORSE- 1968-Quite possibly Van Cleef’s most enjoyable and violent western film. A gang of cutthroats massacre a family but one little boy survives to take revenge for their deaths. He grows up to be John Phillip Law who enjoys emptying his gun into his targets. Each villain has a discernable feature that Law remembers from the night his family was wiped out. LVC gets out of prison and takes up with Law, both with similar agendas involving lead villain Luigi Pistilli who gets a chance to shine here as the lead heavy. The torture scenes are a bit more creative this time as opposed to the usual and stale methods of simply punching the good guys up a bit. The violence level is stronger than usual for a western from this time period and the hauntingly baroque score from maestro Morricone offsets the violence quotient very well. The sophisticated training scenes where Law practices his gun skills appears influenced by HK adventures during this time wherein the heroes and villains display similar skills with knives, swords and what not. Both genres share much in common and traded on concepts for years. Directed with style by Guilio Petroni.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #103 : July 21, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »

A masterpiece. I think Lee is more cool than usually, if it's possible.  O0
No matter with the boy, but Lee is the King. And so good to see Luigi Pistilli in a grand role.  ;D  What a face he had!  :)
The music love I since I've seen first Kill Bill.  O0 Good old Tarantino stole a lot from this movie.

Lee is... VERY LEE. :-* And his necklace is  O0

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #104 : November 20, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »

I should be able to watch this today, but I need to wait for a PAL-friendly DVD player turns up.

Saturday nights with Groggy
: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines