Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 10:13:49 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hangover Square 1945
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Hangover Square 1945  ( 106 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« : August 01, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »

This is a pretty good noir.  George Bone ( Laird Cregar) plays a music composer who has bouts of amnesia.  During one of his bouts he kills a shopowner.  He stumbles back to his flat at 12 Hangover Square and confesses to his girlfriend that a whole day is missing from his memory.   He decides to go see a doctor at Scotland Yard named Alan Middleton ( George Sanders).  He tells Middleton that when he is overworked or stressed it triggers his amnesia.  Middleton advises him to go out among ordinary people and observe how they work and recreate.   George takes his advice and one day goes to a pub and meets Neta a aspiring singer.  She is very conniving and immediately recognizes that she can take advantage of George because he has connections in the music industry.  The plot gets deeper from there.   

I was somewhat distracted when I viewed this but saw enough to say that this is a darn good noir.  The cinematography is just fantastic here.  What really stood out to me is the musical score of this film.  Bernard Herrmann scored this and it is gorgeous.  I will rewatch this so that I can get a better take on the plot.  Its not a straight noir.  I can't really say how to classify this one just yet.   My initial ranking for this is 7.5 out of 10...

« : August 01, 2018, 07:48:30 PM moorman »
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #1 : August 02, 2018, 02:51:57 AM »

I look forward to seeing this one. I saw 'Jane Eyre' recently with some other early Bernard Hermann music in it.

Amnesia is a good noir subject. I like 'Spellbound' and 'Shock' as noirs that deal with this subject.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #2 : August 02, 2018, 05:11:46 AM »

I forgot to give Cigarjoe credit for recommending this.  Thanks...

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #3 : August 06, 2018, 03:43:03 AM »

What really stood out to me is the musical score of this film.  Bernard Herrmann scored this and it is gorgeous.

Agreed, the score is really really good. The climax, with Cregar playing the Concerto Macabre is awesome.

And it's still being played to this day, such as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzYkim7LS2Q

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #4 : August 06, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »

And it's still being played to this day, such as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzYkim7LS2Q
Wow, thanks for that.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines