Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:18:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Heat (1953)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Big Heat (1953)  (Read 2987 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »

Obviously a typo. It is BD + DVD:

The BD will be in 1080p.
The DVD will be in 576p aka PAL (so not 480p aka NTSC)

The review here says "region free" which means the BD will work for you (the DVD might not work if your TV won't accept PAL or your player won't convert it, but I suppose you don't care if you can watch the BD instead):

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Big-Heat-Blu-ray/170647/

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 11:13:52 PM »

PAL/NTSC issues have nothing to do with Blu-rays. We've mentioned this to you many times Drink!

When playing DVDs in PAL in an NTSC country or NTSC in a PAL country what you really want is a TV that can handle both signals. If you let the player do the converting then you are going to sacrifice quality (ranging from a relatively small amount to a lot depending on the converter). In Europe I believe almost all TVs accept both PAL and NTSC; in North America many brands don't accept PAL, but some do (not sure about the rest of the world but I'd imagine it's like Europe in most cases). Again, we've discussed this before elsewhere.

Now that you mention it, I remember having had this discussion about three years ago in some other thread somewhere. My deepest, most heartfelt and sincerest apologies that you had to answer this question twice in three years  Wink Kiss

Obviously a typo. It is BD + DVD:

The BD will be in 1080p.
The DVD will be in 576p aka PAL (so not 480p aka NTSC)

The review here says "region free" which means the BD will work for you (the DVD might not work if your TV won't accept PAL or your player won't convert it, but I suppose you don't care if you can watch the BD instead):

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Big-Heat-Blu-ray/170647/

seriously, thanks. I ordered it. The total including the cost for shipping from the UK to USA was just $20.70  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 04:28:44 AM »

seriously, thanks. I ordered it. The total including the cost for shipping from the UK to USA was just $20.70  Smiley

And you can send that DVD to me, so it dosen't clutter up your shelfspace  Wink Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 07:19:34 AM »

And you can send that DVD to me, so it dosen't clutter up your shelfspace  Wink Cool

If you can play PAL's, I'll be happy to give it to you. But it'll be a while: First, the set has to make its way across the Atlantic  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 07:49:28 AM »

You get a Blu-ray disc AND a DVD with this package. That's what dual format means. The Blu-ray will be in 1080p. The DVD, apparently, will be PAL (although you can't always trust amazon specs). You may not be able to play the DVD on your Blu-ray player, but you probably will.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 08:09:01 AM »

If you can play PAL's, I'll be happy to give it to you. But it'll be a while: First, the set has to make its way across the Atlantic  Afro

I actually still have FrancoCleef's Milata region free DVD player.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 08:28:43 AM »

It converts PAL signals?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »

Yea plays them fine.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »

Why do you have Franco Cleef's player?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »

Why do you have Franco Cleef's player?

At the time I was buying not only his reconstruction of The Big Gundown, but getting copies of a lot of SPA Japan Spaghetti Western releases, that were restored and in the correct aspect ratios. He offered me his old region free player since he was getting a new one.  Smiley

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »

Ah ok. I bought a DVD of his reconstructon of The Big Gundown too. That was a labor of love if I've ever seen one. Now of course we have the fantastic German Blu-ray, but back then it was the only way to watch it uncut in English.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM