Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:37:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ride in the Whirlwind (1966)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ride in the Whirlwind (1966)  (Read 1295 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:29:52 AM »

Much more action filled than the twin, still with little dramatic tension. The actors take good care in being clean-shaven from first scene to last and Millie Perkins seems not be inclined to do without her heavy '60's eye make up. Not entertaining but passable. 7\10

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »

This has been reissued (along with THE SHOOTING) on Criterion.

A neglected little classic with one of the most haunting endings ever put on screen.

The transfer is stunning.

Check it out!

Bruce Marshall

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:41:55 PM by uncknown » Logged

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 03:04:43 AM »

More or less I concord with the previous posts, not so much about the rating: this gets 6/10 at best. Although the acting, directing and production values are decent, the writing lacks excitement, which (unintentionally) leads to some episodes appearing rather out of place and even surreal (the two playing checkers, for instance).

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:03:50 AM »

Just watched the Criterion version on TCM the host called it an Acid Western sub genre. I give it a 7/10. Lump it in with The Shooting (1966), El Topo (1971), McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971), The Hired Hand (1971), Kid Blue (1973) Rancho Deluxe (1975), all the way to China 9, Liberty 37 (1978) and you could call Jim Jarmusch's 1996's film Dead Man a modern outlier.

Mad Dog Morgan (1976) never seen it but it may fit too.

Anybody name any others.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:58:08 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:00:26 PM »

Just watched the Criterion version on TCM the host called it an Acid Western sub genre. I give it a 7/10. Lump it in with The Shooting (1966), El Topo (1971), McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971), The Hired Hand (1971), Kid Blue (1973) Rancho Deluxe (1975), all the way to China 9, Liberty 37 (1978) and you could call Jim Jarmusch's 1996's film Dead Man a modern outlier.

Mad Dog Morgan (1976) never seen it but it may fit too.

Anybody name any others.

Renegade (Blueberry) (2004) is another I just thought of

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:59:01 AM »

Adding my thoughts >

Obliged. Anyone for Checkers?

Ride in the Whirlwind is directed by Monte Hellman and written by Jack Nicholson. It stars Nicholson, Cameron Mitchell, Millie Perkins and Dean Stanton. Music is by Robert Jackson Drasnin and cinematography by Gregory Sandor.

Three honest cowboys stop to rest for the night at a cabin occupied by outlaws led by Blind Dick (Stanton). Upon awakening in the morning they find themselves surrounded by a vigilante posse and forced to flee as fugitives…

Filmed back to back with The Shooting in Kanab, Utah, Ride in the Whirlwind has something big to say without actually saying that much!

It's a sombre Western piece that deals in the tragedy brought about by a miscarriage of justice. It also finds Hellman and Nicholson reaching into the belly of the Western mythos and pulling out its guts to reveal a shallow hole of boredom and dirt covered grafters. This works to a large degree by way of the portrayals of weary cowboys (nice subtle performances by Nicholson and Mitchell really help) and the mundane ranch life of a family who are coerced into harbouring the fugitives. The air of authenticity and rich period detail, as well, is highly commendable. However, the laborious pace will annoy many and some actions and scenarios played out are a little hard to swallow. It's a mixed bag but very much a film that Western fans should see though. 7/10

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »

I've always preferred Monte Hellman's "The Shooting" which is an underrated cinematic masterpiece, but this is nonetheless a great flick too albeit not on the same exalted echelon.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »

I've always preferred Monte Hellman's "The Shooting" which is an underrated cinematic masterpiece, but this is nonetheless a great flick too albeit not on the same exalted echelon.

I'll have to give The Shooting a second go round I saw a terrible copy.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 05:20:28 AM »

Yes, The Shooting is easily the superior film. One of the real unusual films of the genre. But this one here is good too.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM