Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2018, 09:21:39 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  And Then There Were None (1945)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: And Then There Were None (1945)  ( 386 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« : May 29, 2018, 10:09:33 PM »

If there is already a thread about this, my bad. I like Walter Huston so I had to check this out. I knew nothing about the movie or the book that influenced it.  At first, i didn't think i would like this film.  I thought the light tone of the film would dominate but it did not.  The plot has enough interesting things going on that it keeps you drawn in.  You cannot let it go until you find out who Mr. Owens really is.  The cinematography, acting, directing and plot are on point in this one.  I can see why its been remade several times. Its a very good plot.  Walter Huston has a wide range of acting ability and again it shows in this one.  I don't know where this was filmed but it was really done well. I rate this a solid 8 out of 10...

greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #1 : May 31, 2018, 03:08:39 AM »

This is my favourite film version of the story. I like the sinister Judith Anderson the best in this one.

There was a terrible remake of the story last year where the mystery is moved to the desert. My favourite remake is the 1965 version known as 'Ten Little Indians.'

moorman
Gunslinger

« #2 : May 31, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »

This is my favourite film version of the story. I like the sinister Judith Anderson the best in this one.

There was a terrible remake of the story last year where the mystery is moved to the desert. My favourite remake is the 1965 version known as 'Ten Little Indians.'

Its the only version i have seen and i believe it would be hard to make a better one.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #3 : June 10, 2018, 10:58:07 PM »

In some ways, the film was very well done (correct time period, great acting, etc.).

It's just too bad that they didn't follow the novel's ending - the REAL ending. I think Agatha Christie made a big mistake when she came up with the alternate ending.

Seems like this film was also meant to be borderline comedy. A shame.

The 1980s Russian version comes close to capturing the REAL ending.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #4 : July 26, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »

I just saw the remake Ten Little Indians. I didn't like this.  If I had saw if before the original it would've been better.   The whiny maid and Fabian didn't help.  Its not a bad movie its just not like the original.  I didn't like some of the updated aspects of it either like the more modern setting.  5 out of 10...

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #5 : July 28, 2018, 12:25:34 AM »

Ugh.....I really dislike it when these mysteries get a more modern setting. It just doesn't work AT ALL.

If they're going to film these stories these days, at least get the time period right. This story was published in the thirties and it should be set in the thirties.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #6 : July 28, 2018, 04:03:30 AM »

Ugh.....I really dislike it when these mysteries get a more modern setting. It just doesn't work AT ALL.

If they're going to film these stories these days, at least get the time period right. This story was published in the thirties and it should be set in the thirties.
  It had a 1960's feel to it.  Some of the music was also 1960s.  Another problem I have is the fact that the film shouldn't have been remade in the first place.  There is nothing wrong with the original. I hate when studios get greedy and go for a money play like that.  Some films just cannot be remade and the original version of this is one.  It like buying a knock off product at a flea market.  Its not the real thing.  They need to remake a movie like " Odd Man Out " and put some ACTION into it with the lead character, lol.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #7 : July 30, 2018, 12:46:45 AM »

The original version felt too much like a comedy, and they didn't get the ending right. I like the novel's ending. Christie made a serious error when she came up with the alternate ending....probably one of the most serious errors of her career.

The Russian version comes much closer to capturing the right mood and ending. But even that version isn't perfect.

Sixties music in a version of this story....ugh...nope (and I love a lot of 60s music).

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #8 : July 30, 2018, 02:00:29 AM »

What is the alternate ending?

I read the novel once, it is ok, not really interesting. The only good thing is the ending, cause it is unusual. Not the typical Christie ending.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #9 : August 02, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »

The alternate ending....and then there were TWO. The last two to die end up living and end up together. What's the point of THAT? What was Christie thinking?

I adore this book, just like I love most of what she wrote in the 30s.

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #10 : August 04, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »

By the way, if anyone is interested in talking mysteries outside this forum (in addition to this forum), here is the link to the classic horror film board:

http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines