Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 10:56:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dark Passage (1949)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Passage (1949)  (Read 1741 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:30:49 AM »

Director: Delmer Daves, with Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall Agnes Moorehead and Bruce Bennett. I believe this is the second of only two film noir that uses the POV of lead character Vincent Parry (Bogart).  This device was used 2 years earlier in "The Lady In The Lake", and its used from the start of the film where the wrongly accused of murdering his wife, Parry, escapes from prison in an empty 50 gallon drum, until his plastic surgery bandages are removed revealing the character to be Bogart.

Lauren Bacall plays an artist who sympathizes with Parry plight who is out painting landscapes when she hears the bulletin over the radio. She knows everything about his case. She even sat in the courtroom during his trial. She just "happens" to be nearby as Parry makes his escape, and takes him into San Francisco and her apartment, come on now just a little too far fetched. Tom D'Andrea is  the cab driver; Houseley Stevenson plays a crookedly interesting plastic surgeon; Clifton Young as the blackmailer; Tory Mallison is Bogart's old best friend.

Agnes Moorehead is Marge Rapf the weirdly schizoid bitch, Parry's old flame, who' testimony sent him up on the murder rap. The best scene in this film is the between Moorehead and Bogart, watch it for that. A bit too many coincidences, I've caught this numerous times on TCM screenings, not worth a buy unless your big Bogart Bacall fans 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:27:52 AM »

I re-post this earlier link:
Here is an amazing tribute to Dark Passage (thanks to The Blackboard for the tip):
http://www.noircon.info/2010/10/noircon-and-david-goodis-revisit-dark.html

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »

What I remember of this movie is that it is good until Bogart switch to 3d person.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »

I re-post this earlier link:

Nice revisit & Art Deco building  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:58:38 AM »

6/10

Silly story. This movie has two things going for it: Bogie and Bacall, that's all. (and that rhymes). But it is not a good movie.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:47:44 AM »

The P.O.V. work that opens the film was innovative and is still interesting. But yeah, the plot bites.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM