Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:07:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Amazing Mr X - a.k.a. The Spiritualist (1948)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Amazing Mr X - a.k.a. The Spiritualist (1948)  (Read 1579 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »

It is roughly divided in 3 parts (first a supernatural one, or so it seems. Then there's the activity of the spiritualist to come under the eye and everything seems to find a rational explanation. And then there's...well, I won't spoil it) and, until the last 15 minutes, you don't know where it's at: which makes  good entertaining. People praise Alton's photography: yes, but photography never fares well on its own. The actors are mostly unknown (apart from O'Donnell) but are decent. Is this a noir. Not, as usual, for me. But it must be noted that in USA this was commercialized on dvd (according to a IMDB reviewer, in a cheap SF collection of 50 titles. I bought the french release.

7\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »

It is roughly divided in 3 parts (first a supernatural one, or so it seems. Then there's the activity of the spiritualist to come under the eye and everything seems to find a rational explanation. And then there's...well, I won't spoil it) and, until the last 15 minutes, you don't know where it's at: which makes  good entertaining. People praise Alton's photography: yes, but photography never fares well on its own. The actors are mostly unknown (apart from O'Donnell) but are decent. Is this a noir. Not, as usual, for me. But it must be noted that in USA this was commercialized on dvd (according to a IMDB reviewer, in a cheap SF collection of 50 titles. I bought the french release.

7\10
Well, Lynn Bari isn't a complete unknown, I've seen her in a few things. I like her a lot: good-looking AND good-sounding--I could listen to her voice for hours.

I like the film a lot too. I'd be more inclined to give it an "8."

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »

7\10

Never heard of this one

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »

Well, Lynn Bari isn't a complete unknown, I've seen her in a few things. I like her a lot: good-looking AND good-sounding--I could listen to her voice for hours.

A poor man's Ava Gardner.

I like the film a lot too. I'd be more inclined to give it an "8."

That's what I could have given it had it not been for the finale which looks rather pasted up and uninventive. I think they should have played more on the supernatural|rational opposition leaving the audience in doubt as to the explanation.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »

That's what I could have given it had it not been for the finale which looks rather pasted up and uninventive. I think they should have played more on the supernatural|rational opposition leaving the audience in doubt as to the explanation.
For that I would go "10."

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 05:54:21 AM »

People praise Alton's photography: yes, but photography never fares well on its own.

Actually when it comes to noirs, that's a big selling point for me. Never seen this one personally, but John Alton's name makes me want to watch it regardless.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »

The Amazing Mr. X (The Spiratulist) (1948).Director: Bernard Vorhaus.
With Turhan Bey, Lynn Bari, Cathy O'Donnell, Richard Carlson, Donald Curtis, and Virginia Gregg.
The story is a very rich widow Christine Faber (Bari), walking on the beach one night, thinks she hears her late husband Paul calling out of the surf. She then is surprised by Alexis (Bey) a spiritualist, who seems to know all about her past. After participating in some seances, Christine and younger sister Janet become infatuated with Alexis; but he in an interesting twist in turn finds himself manipulated.

Its sort of a high society melodrama Noir, that lacks the gritty, sleazy, underworld characters that I favor in Film Noir. Its entertaining with some nice cinematography.  7/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM