Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:08:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  George Lucas and the "Spaghetti" influence
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: George Lucas and the "Spaghetti" influence  (Read 1399 times)
Uomo_senza_ nome
Bandido

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »

It's well documented that the new generation of Hollywood directors of the 70's, was influenced not only by Leone, but by the general style and themes of the Spaghetti western genre. The anti heroes and the explicit and also more realistic violence of this magnificent period in American cinema, were clearly inspired by the Italian westerns. Especially George Lucas seems very influenced by this genre. His Star Wars movies, and not only the original ones, is filled with lots of references. I will list those I can think of, and hope that you guys can contribute with some new ones. Here goes:

The whole plot of the original Star Wars trilogy(episode 4,5,6) seems to be inspired or actually stolen from the movie "Texas Adios" with Franco Nero, who plays a Sherif determined to avenge the murder of his father. He is assisted by his younger brother, but it turns out late in the movie, that the man who killed their father is actually the real father of the younger brother. So the whole "You killed my father!...No I AM your father!!!" could very well come from this somewhat boring "Spaghetti".

Then there's the clothing of the Han Solo character, white shirt and black vest, which seems almost identical to what the Tomas Milian character in "Django Kill" is wearing. There's also a brief torture scene in "Django Kill", which is very similar to the torture of Han Solo in "The Empire Strikes Back".

And of course there's a more obivious reference in the new Star Wars movie, where the bounty hunter almost identical to Boba Fett of the orignal trilogy, is called Jango Fett. Only a "D" is missing here.

Well, I hope you guys can add something more:)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:41:28 PM »

Star Wars is a melange of homages to every film George Lucas ever saw. I wouldn't be surprised if there were Spaghetti influences - in fact, I'd be surprised if there weren't - though the ones you specifically name seem like a reach.

The infamous Han Solo shooting scene is almost identical to James Stewart's big scene in Cheyenne Autumn.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM