Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 09:32:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bertolucci's 1900 (Novecento)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bertolucci's 1900 (Novecento)  (Read 12435 times)
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2004, 03:30:50 AM »

I haven't seen any discussion about this movie on this board. I havent seen 1900 in 15 years and I don't remember it very well - but I want to see it again so badly - and own it on DVD.

Anyone seen it recently? Does it hold up after nearly 30 years now?

And now, with all our efforts, let's all yell out loud to whoever's got the DVD-rights:

WE WANT A RESTORED WIDESCREEN UNCUT VERSION OF 1900!!! AND WE'LL PAY GOOD MONEY FOR IT TOO!!!

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 03:46:48 AM »

Never seen it but I'd like to. Isn't about 6 hours uncut?

It's class.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 05:10:11 AM »

I haven't seen it either, but I've been looking for it for ages. Let's hope for that dvd soon.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 06:15:17 AM »

Yeah, a little less than 6 hours I think, and sometimes divided into 2 parts. But as far as I understand it's been released in many obscure versions over the years. And what I saw so many years ago was pan'n'scan, I think.

I just do not understand why its not out there in a definite version - maybe it's got something to do with the fact that it's a co-production between many different stakeholders... Well: WORK IT OUT! Cheesy

Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 06:33:34 AM »

hold on.. maybe this is it:

http://www.dvd.it/sid/60305513/page/dett/froms/Y/arti/27869/novecento_e_s_atto_i_atto_ii_dvd_.html

.. but only in Italian with Italian subtitles..
Now how hard can it be to release it with English, Scandinavian, German etc. subtitles?

Any Italians out there who have watched the DVD above?
The movie is produced by our old friend Grimaldi, by the way.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 04:52:41 PM »

i have recorded it when it was on tv (arte) in france, a few month ago (cut in two parts).
That are great movies! i don't love it as a leone's movie, but that's great and pretty unknow! i didn't know that De Niro and Depardieu had play together in a movie, and that De Niro had the bad role!

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »

Has anyone seen this Bertolluci film? It's being released on dvd here in Norway next week. The 5 hours+ cut. I've heard lots of good things about it, and been wanting to check it out for a long time. I loved La Commare Secca and Il Conformisto by Bertolluci, and The Last Emperor wasn't bad either. This should be good. This is worth picking up, isn't it? If you say no, I'll pick it up anyway.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 03:58:25 AM »

Give us a little write up Nobody if you do obtain a copy. I have always been very curious about Novecento. Bobby De Niro is in it i think. Morricone soundtrack to boot...

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 09:51:58 AM by The Smoker » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 01:49:33 AM »

This is worth picking up, isn't it? If you say no, I'll pick it up anyway.
What will you do if we say "maybe?"

De Niro is pretty good in it. Lancaster too, but he exits early. Sutherland is awful, but that was probably because the part was so badly written. But what was the point of filling an historical Italian epic with stars from America?

I haven't seen this since its original run, in 2 parts, in 1978. For some reason, I've never felt the need to revisit it on video....

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 06:39:42 AM »

1900 is currently showing in a restored version in an art cinama where I live. They divided it up in 2 parts so you have to pay admittance twice to see one film. But it's uncut (I think) and the total running time is close to 5 hours.

Anyway, went to see it on the big screen yesterday - something that I have been looking forward to for years - and it was beautiful. The music and the cinematography is the best part, closely followed by the portrait of an era. Then we have the portraits of the characters... probably the weakest part. Olmo and Alfredo as boys are excellent though - like in OUATIA.

Haven't seen the last half yet, it doesn't open until a month from now, but I can't wait.

This is the kind of film that we never see anymore. Incredibly ambitious, political, weird, beautiful, provoking, messy, slow, poetic, daring, surprising - a mix of it all. It contains certain scenes where you go: "what!" and just can't believe that they just did or said that... Or like when de Niro and Depardieu is in bed with a whore and the camera just keeps moving upwards from the end of the bed to show us something that we'd rather have lived without... This film takes no short cuts.

Glad to be able to see it on the big screen. It was a good day, 'coz when I went I discovered that the same cinema is re-premiering Visconti's Leopard as well - restored... in a month or so.

These are good times.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 02:19:13 PM »

Laddy, where the hell do you live!? Shocked

You also have to admit, 1900 has some hilarious lines that are probably not meant to be funny Grin "I'm screwing the earth!" "Ooh, cocaine, I'd like to try some, let me try some"

Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 03:51:11 PM »

just saw it in the dvd store couple of days back for €20

dutch-speaking folks can pick it up here: http://www.vanleest.nl/pages/productview.asp?productid=832362&navid=47#

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
Blueberry
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 01:45:08 AM »

Laddy, where the hell do you live!? Shocked

Århus, Denmark, and our treasured little arthouse cinema - that is completely dependent on municipal support (sometimes I appreciate that our tax rate is so high) - is called East of Eden (Øst for Paradis in Danish). I once had the chance to discuss some OUATIW with one of the owners, a quite old enthusiast who is in it for love of the art, definitely not money.

Anyway - this is it: www.paradisbio.dk - if anyone would like to swing by...

Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 09:29:41 AM »

I have heard much about this film. Mixed Reviews actually. I have not seen it. But I want to. I would buy it on DVD.

I love epic films.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 11:39:50 AM »

Its a superb film in almost every department with one important exception. The script badly falls apart towards the end, which is a real shame if you've stuck with it for 5 hours or so.

They clearly had no idea how to finish it, and it resorts to 1960's, French New Wave stlye nonsense.

Actually, thinking about it, Donald Sutherland gives an utterly absurd, eye rolling, cartoon like act as head of the local Il Fascisti. I don't know if this was his fault, or Bertolluci asked him to play it that way.

Apart from that it has superb cinematography, Morricone music, De Niro and Depardieu and its even got a Bugatti.  Smiley Sterling Hayden gives a career best performance too, as the peasant patriarch. What more could you ask for?

I suspect that a reason it hasn't got a DVD release in the US or the UK is due to the fact that, in the current moral climate, classification boards would strongly take issue at the child nudity in the silkworm loft sequence. What was OK for the 1970's is taboo today.

If you have seen it at the movies, its always screened in 2 parts (like ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA). Some unscrupulous cinemas will even programme it over 2 different days, just to make more money. Very naughty.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM