Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 04:08:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Casting of Frank
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Casting of Frank  (Read 6049 times)
johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:32:29 AM »

I cant help wondering if casting  Henry Fonda as Frank was a little bit of revenge for Fonda turning him down as The man with no name in Leone's early days.
When Leone was almost unknown Bronson,Fonda and Coburn all rejected scripts........When he became well known they all appeared in his films.........And what about Steiger ?.....a rip off of Tuco !

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »

Well Wallach was originally slated to play Juan Miranda in DYS, but the suits nixed it, they wanted Oscar winner Steiger.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:51 AM »

I cant help wondering if casting  Henry Fonda as Frank was a little bit of revenge for Fonda turning him down as The man with no name in Leone's early days.
When Leone was almost unknown Bronson,Fonda and Coburn all rejected scripts........When he became well known they all appeared in his films.........And what about Steiger ?.....a rip off of Tuco !

I wouldn't say revenge. I think that was Leone's idea from the beginning; MWNN isn't exactly your standard Fonda hero, either.

Saturday nights with Groggy
johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »

Yes revenge is the wrong word.......but its funny how all the big stars come knocking when Leone became a name where as before that the scripts were regarded as beneth them........and not given a second glance

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »

Still, there was an influx of stars to Italy to make Italian Westerns, and it had to be all a crap shoot, especially if:

1) they didn't speak Italian, 2) the polyglot nature of the set, 3) the way all films are shot out of sequence.

So you wouldn't know (especially if the director wasn't Leone) as you were actually filming whether or not the film was any good. With Leone, he had at least one film as a track record in the US.

(this is all after GBU was a big hit of course)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:58:47 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »

Fonda didn't accept on the basis of a script. When he was proposed the part he first called Wallach (who, as we know, said "Go!") and then was shown the 3 Leone's westerns. Of course this couldn't have happened 4 years before. And I don't think that any of the major stars accepted to star in a Leone movie because of the "script". I remember Leone recalled explaining to De Niro OUTA shoot by shoot, sequence by sequence during a many hours session.   After Fistful he didn't need to have a script ready.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 07:04:36 AM »

Yes revenge is the wrong word.......but its funny how all the big stars come knocking when Leone became a name where as before that the scripts were regarded as beneth them........and not given a second glance

Titoli's got it right. I'd just add that (by Frayling's account at least) the scripts being sent to Eastwood and Co. were translated into phonetic/literal English at that point anyway. Leone used scripts more as a guideline than a literal marker for the film.

With Leone, he had at least one film as a track record in the US.

Weren't all of the MWNN films released back-to-back in America? You wouldn't take the job on that basis.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »

Titoli's got it right. I'd just add that (by Frayling's account at least) the scripts being sent to Eastwood and Co. were translated into phonetic/literal English at that point anyway. Leone used scripts more as a guideline than a literal marker for the film.

Weren't all of the MWNN films released back-to-back in America? You wouldn't take the job on that basis.

Fistful and For a Few, about the same time in 1967, GBU in early 1968

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »

Titoli's got it right.
And Groggy's got it right on titoli.

Wow. We just witnessed what may be the board's first Kumbaya moment. Shocked

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »

In Phoenix, GBU was June 1968, I attended.  I can't confirm that Fistful or FDM ever played here before that though, and I was old-enough, and interested-enough in westerns to know.

One-West played only 2nd-tier theaters here in 1969; I saw it.  There were no TV advertisements here for any of those, and I didn't see any trailers for them at the time either.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:21 PM »

BTW, Wallach accepted simply after being shown the pre-credit FAFDM sequence. Bronson, I don't know: but at the time he was not a superstar and I don't think he could have nixed a movie where he played lead (and which would make him a superstar in Europe before Death Wish, exactly as had happened to Eastwood). Only the year before he was still playing a bit part in dirty 12.  I suspect Eastwood was the only one who was shown something like a script at the time of Fistful and then just accepted the money for the other two movies.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 02:21:21 AM »

And Coburn (and others) wanted more money than Leone or his producers were willing to spend. As far as I remember.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 05:32:20 AM »

BTW, Wallach accepted simply after being shown the pre-credit FAFDM sequence. Bronson, I don't know: but at the time he was not a superstar and I don't think he could have nixed a movie where he played lead (and which would make him a superstar in Europe before Death Wish, exactly as had happened to Eastwood). Only the year before he was still playing a bit part in dirty 12.  I suspect Eastwood was the only one who was shown something like a script at the time of Fistful and then just accepted the money for the other two movies.  
By his own admission, he accepted FOD mainly because it involved a free trip to Rome and Spain, so I guess they could have shown him even the phone book instead of a script and he would have accepted immediately... Smiley

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:34:06 AM by Leonardo » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 07:03:14 AM »

We just witnessed what may be the board's first Kumbaya moment. Shocked

Don't expect a hug.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM