Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 08:29:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  IGN Best westerns of all time...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGN Best westerns of all time...  (Read 8329 times)
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »

Guess which is #1?

http://movies.ign.com/articles/108/1088537p1.html

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 02:12:01 AM »

I don't know what IGN is, but this is actually one of the better ones of these types of lists. The only odd films are Silverado, 3:10 to Yuma (big joke, the only mediocre film in the list) and Tombstone.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:25:23 AM »

I don't know what IGN is, but this is actually one of the better ones of these types of lists. The only odd films are Silverado, 3:10 to Yuma (big joke, the only mediocre film in the list) and Tombstone.

I would add Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kidd, its not holding up as a serious Western either.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »

If Silverado is on the list, I can't take any of their choices seriously.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »

Has anybody seen Tears of the Black Tiger?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:25:30 PM »

I have not even heard of it

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »

I would add Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kidd, its not holding up as a serious Western either.

But it is at least one of the usual "classics". And the directing is marvellous. One of the best directed westerns, but a bit too chic, a bit too narcissistic. Still a western I always enjoy.

Why it is not serious?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »

But it is at least one of the usual "classics". And the directing is marvellous. One of the best directed westerns, but a bit too chic, a bit too narcissistic. Still a western I always enjoy.

Why it is not serious?

The kick in the balls to Ted Cassidy is just a little bit over the top, the A-Capella soundtrack really dates it and the "Raindrops keep falling on my head" music video insertion, to name 3.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »

All flaws but not fatal ones, unless you subscribe to Jenkins' literal interpretation of the 40% rule.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »

I noted their still for Fistful of Dollars is from GBU. Otherwise a decent list.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »

All flaws but not fatal ones, unless you subscribe to Jenkins' literal interpretation of the 40% rule.
To say nothing of Leone's 10-minute rule.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »

Including the remake of 3:10 to Yuma and Eastwood's The Unforgiven on any list of the best westerns is horsepucky.  I may have included The Magnificent Seven once, but my views on it have evolved over the years. I wouldn't even consider it now. Nor would I include The Good the Bad and the Ugly, which is superior cinema, and I'm fond of it, but it's not one of the best westerns. Certainly it is one of the top spaghetti westerns. The other films are fine, however.

Putting Once Upon a Time In the West in the numero uno slot is fair and deserved under certain criteria.

Richard

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:51:28 AM by Richard--W » Logged

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »

To say nothing of Leone's 10-minute rule.

If you require action to be shootouts you have a point. Some of us have a broader definition of the term.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 02:36:58 AM »

The kick in the balls to Ted Cassidy is just a little bit over the top, the A-Capella soundtrack really dates it and the "Raindrops keep falling on my head" music video insertion, to name 3.

I think the Raindrops scene is very good. I like the song, I like the directing of the scene, and I like the way it is included in the film's narrative.

What I don't like meanwhile that much is that there are too much similar dialogues and jokes about the laziness of our heroes, which surely were part of the film's success back then, and which were then a reflection of the new thinking of the 68 generation.

It was one of my favourite westerns for many years, it has paled a bit now, but is still one of the 30 best imo.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 02:50:49 AM »

What the list misses is again Il grande Silenzio, one of the key films, and one of the most daring, and also one of the best directed films of the genre.
And for me Corbucci's Il mercenario is a similar masterpiece in concept and accomplishment. But you still can't expect from an American list to include more than the Leone films from this very fruitful phase of European westerns.

The usual classics which are generally making these lists and which are missing here are Stagecoach, Red River and Ride the High Country. And generally said there are maybe a few too less westerns of the 40s and 50s. At least too much westerns from beneath 1976.

I'm also surprised by the including of Will Penny. A good western, yes, and it was hailed for its new approach towards realism here in Germany by some critics, but it ain't one of the best from a nowadays view. Let's say 7/10 for this one.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM