Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:26:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Out of the Past (1947)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Out of the Past (1947)  (Read 2559 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039689/

Just saw Out of the Past (1947) on TCM. 10/10

An incredible noir.

the writing, the one-liners, the cinematography, etc. etc. etc. all amazing. Fantastic performances all around.

cast (Courtesy of imdb)

Robert Mitchum    ...   Jeff
    Jane Greer    ...   Kathie
    Kirk Douglas    ...   Whit
    Rhonda Fleming    ...   Meta Carson
    Richard Webb    ...   Jim
    Steve Brodie    ...   Fisher
    Virginia Huston    ...   Ann
    Paul Valentine    ...   Joe
    Dickie Moore    ...   The Kid
    Ken Niles    ...   Eels

This is one of those movies that just makes you so happy while you're watching it. One of those movies that makes you so happy to be a lover of cinema. One of those movies that almost makes you want to hug yourself. I'll stop before this gets any creepier, but this is THAT good.

The dialogue is spectacular, and Mitchum and Douglas et al. deliver the lines so incredibly well.

in other words, if you haven't yet, WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!  Afro Afro Afro

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:56:56 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:16:01 AM »

I remember not being a fan but it's been years since I watched it. Maybe a rewatch would improve it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:21 AM »

I remember not being a fan but it's been years since I watched it. Maybe a rewatch would improve it.
No, a rewatch would improve YOU.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »

Zen master Jenkins.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:08:09 AM »

I just saw the movie for the 3rd time (DVD).... one of my favorite noirs.... terrific actors, terrific (and pretty) actresses. Jane Greer here is one of the greatest of all femmes fatale, Rhonda Fleming and Virginia Huston are also good, as is Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas. Paul Valentine does a good job in a supporting role.... This movie has everything you'd want in a great noir  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »

No, a rewatch would improve YOU.

Your koan contains the wisdom of that great philosopher Yakov Smirnoff. What a country!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »

Warner Archive Collection released OOTP on BRD.

We've been discussing it in the Film Noir Discussion Thread, but it should be discussed here.

Just to confirm: the Warner Archive Collection, that's when they release stuff on DV-R on demand? or in this case, BRD-R on demand (is there such a thing?) It's not an "officially pressed" disc?
is the quality of these discs any worse than an officially pressed BRD?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »

Warner Archive Collection released OOTP on BRD.

We've been discussing it in the Film Noir Discussion Thread, but it should be discussed here.

Just to confirm: the Warner Archive Collection, that's when they release stuff on DV-R on demand? or in this case, BRD-R on demand (is there such a thing?)
No, there isn't. A Blu-ray disc is always pressed. There is no difference in terms of the physical media between a WAC and any other commercially vended disc.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 05:37:43 AM »

No, there isn't. A Blu-ray disc is always pressed. There is no difference in terms of the physical media between a WAC and any other commercially vended disc.

but isn't that the whole point of the Warner Archive Collection, that it's manufactured-on-demand, for titles from the back end of the catalogue that may not generate such wide interest so they don't wanna risk pre-pressing a bunch of discs that may not get sold? if that's how it is for the DVD's on the WAC, then what's the difference with BRD's? If they issue a regular pressing, then why is it considered part of WAC?

(i mentioned before how OOTP doesn't seem to have nearly the fame that other great noirs have  - even more so if they are only releasing it through WAC!)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:39:07 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »

but isn't that the whole point of the Warner Archive Collection, that it's manufactured-on-demand, for titles from the back end of the catalogue that may not generate such wide interest so they don't wanna risk pre-pressing a bunch of discs that may not get sold? if that's how it is for the DVD's on the WAC, then what's the difference with BRD's? If they issue a regular pressing, then why is it considered part of WAC?

You'll have to ask Warner about why they're putting non-MOD discs in their MOD program. But that's what they're doing. I'm not sure, but they may even have pressed DVDs (in some cases) in the WAC.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »

You'll have to ask Warner about why they're putting non-MOD discs in their MOD program. But that's what they're doing. I'm not sure, but they may even have pressed DVDs (in some cases) in the WAC.

I just looked again at blu-ray.com, and read the first paragraph of the review you linked to earlier; perhaps the answer is there:

Many posters on the Blu-ray.com forum have complained about the slow startup of the Warner Archive Collection's Blu-ray program and the high cost of its releases, relative to most catalog titles from Warner Home Video. But Out of the Past should be Exhibit A for the truth of the adage that you get what you pay for. If WHV had released this 97-minute black-and-white film with its windowbox bars and minimal extras, the feature would have been compressed onto a BD-25 with a low bitrate in order to shave every possible penny off the budget against the likelihood of retailers discounting the disc to $7 and under. Since WAC doesn't operate under those constraints, it was free to place Out of the Past on a BD-50 with an average bitrate of 34.57 Mbps, which is unheard-of at WHV. It looks gorgeous.

I'll provide the link here again because you posted it in the FNDT thread http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Out-of-the-Past-Blu-ray/56288/

I guess I was confused because looking at Amazon Marketplace, some sellers wrote "this is a MOD DVD-R ... " but I guess they just automatically write that every time there is something from WAC, and didn't actually check in each case to see that it really is a MOD DVD-R

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:32:30 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 03:59:52 AM »

Amazon just dropped the price of the BRD to $16.49. Glad I didn't make the purchase yet. With Amazon, waiting almost never hurts ...  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »

Ordered!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »

I still haven't seen anyone comparing the BRD to the DVD. I already have the DVD; for a black-and-white movie in which (as I recall) the DVD is pretty good quality, and the BRD doesn't offer any new bonus features, is there really any particular reason to get the BRD? I don't think I will, until I see some reviewer say that the BRD is clearly an upgrade

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 11:30:42 PM »

Your koan contains the wisdom of that great philosopher Yakov Smirnoff. What a country!

according to wikipedia (where people voluntarily consume lies - what a country!) Smirnoff was not the inventor of and rarely told jokes involving the Russian reversal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff#Russian_reversal

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM