Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:22:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Last Seduction (1994)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last Seduction (1994)  (Read 1467 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110308/

The Last Seduction (1994) 8/10

Linda Fiorentino    ...   Bridget Gregory
    Bill Pullman    ...   Clay Gregory
    Michael Raysses    ...   Phone Sales Rep.
    Zack Phifer    ...   Gas Station Attendant
    Peter Berg    ...   Mike Swale
    Brien Varady    ...   Chris
    Dean Norris    ...   Shep
    Donna Wilson    ...   Stacy
    Mik Scriba    ...   Ray
    J.T. Walsh    ...   Frank Griffith
    Erik-Anders Nilsson    ...   Beston Passerby #1
    Patricia R. Caprio    ...   Beston Passerby #2
    Herb Mitchell    ...   Bob Trotter
    Bill Nunn    ...   Harlan
    Renee Rogers    ...   Receptionist

Great lead acting by Fiorentino. Unlike the femme fatales in the classic noirs, the Fiorentino character doesn't act in any way classy, or have any classy look. She looks cheap, her hair is unkempt, etc. cuz that's what she is. There is no phony class about her.

One problem I have with the movie: there is pretty much never a moment when you really believe she may be actually falling for the guy. She is pure evil from Day 1, and you know it. All the classic noirs, even the ones like Double Indemnity, in which you know the girl is bad, have at least a moment where you wonder, "Maybe she really did fall for the guy." There is always that small doubt. But in this movie, there never is. I think it would have been better if there would have been some question. I recently saw Out of the Past, and as evil as the Jane Greer character is, you really do believe at times that she does want the Mitchum character, perhaps even at the end. That little bit of ambiguity about the femme fatale always helps. The fact that there is never a doubt about the Fiorentino character is one of the things -- along with an annoying Peter Berg -- that hurt an otherwise solid film

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:15:50 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 02:56:41 AM »

Another so-called neo-noir which is boring except for the first and the last ten minutes.Cinematically is worth next to nothing: a short story of 40 pqges would have made the job better. The characters are incredible (Fiorentino)  or morons (Berg). They want to make you believe that one can marry a transexual without being aware of it before. That the same can become a murderer for love (well, yes: if he was unable to tell a clit from a cock he can be persuaded of everything). And I could go on and on (the P.I. showing the cock in the car, she deciding to leave her husband with the money because he half slapped her; then fucking the first stranger she meets and that casually is the moron to beat all morons). 3/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 04:31:03 AM »

Another so-called neo-noir which is boring except for the first and the last ten minutes.Cinematically is worth next to nothing: a short story of 40 pqges would have made the job better. The characters are incredible (Fiorentino)  or morons (Berg). They want to make you believe that one can marry a transexual without being aware of it before. That the same can become a murderer for love (well, yes: if he was unable to tell a clit from a cock he can be persuaded of everything). And I could go on and on (the P.I. showing the cock in the car, she deciding to leave her husband with the money because he half slapped her; then fucking the first stranger she meets and that casually is the moron to beat all morons). 3/10

Dead wrong it's a great Neo Noir. Has one of the best Femme Fatales with a great soundtrack too boot, stay tuned for a full review when I get around to it. 9/10.  Afro

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:45:50 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 04:41:35 AM »

From 2010

The Last Seduction (1994)

A great great neo noir starring Linda Fiorentino in what I think is probably the ultimate sizzling femme fatal performance. Lots of twists and turns make this one a fun ride, saw this on the big screen in 1994 and had it on DVD but just re-watched it today for the first time in years, glad I did. Dircted by John Dahl with Bill Pullman and Peter Berg.

A psychological thriller/ black comedy.  Bridget, a refreshingly chain-smoking New Yorker,  ruthlessly exploits the weaknesses of the bottom feeders she comes in contact with.  She uses her sexual attraction to stun the hapless men (who reside in the Western, Southern Tier, Rt 17 corridor of New York State south of Buffalo) into slobbering idiots. 9/10 check it out  Afro Afro Afro

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:45:27 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 05:57:39 AM »

one of the best Femme Fatales
Amen.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »

Another so-called neo-noir which is boring except for the first and the last ten minutes.Cinematically is worth next to nothing: a short story of 40 pqges would have made the job better. The characters are incredible (Fiorentino)  or morons (Berg). They want to make you believe that one can marry a transexual without being aware of it before. That the same can become a murderer for love (well, yes: if he was unable to tell a clit from a cock he can be persuaded of everything). And I could go on and on (the P.I. showing the cock in the car, she deciding to leave her husband with the money because he half slapped her; then fucking the first stranger she meets and that casually is the moron to beat all morons). 3/10

I saw this quite a while ago. but I think you got something wrong here: She didn't decide to "leave her husband with the money because he half slapped her." I am sure she had planned it all along. Afterward, when he called her whining, she used the fact that he had slapped her as an excuse for leverage in a possible divorce deal. But she had set the whole thing up from Day 1: get him to do the drug deal, then steal his money.

RE: the tranny thing: you sure he wasn't aware that Trish was a tranny? Maybe he knew it. And liked it.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:58:04 PM »

If she had planned it before she wouldn't have waited for her husband to take a shower and would have picked up a more comfortable place to hide up and not let herself be picked up by the first stranger to find a bed for the night. 
But this is only a minor inconsistency if compared to the fact that this woman is introduced as a woman in career, who does a job for which she musrt have fought harshly but put everything at risk for a drug scheme. And  she married a loser, and for no apparent reason gets herself another job (of course that is because she can be easily traced and can give the moron a chance to start a romance). She behaves like a whore, but apparently only after she left her husband: why did she marry him at all? 
About the tranny, I couldn't care less: let Cigar give us an answer.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »

RE: the tranny thing: you sure he wasn't aware that Trish was a tranny? Maybe he knew it. And liked it.

He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, looked dumb enough not to know until "Trish" told him.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:35:51 PM by cigar joe » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 02:28:21 PM »

If she had planned it before she wouldn't have waited for her husband to take a shower and would have picked up a more comfortable place to hide up and not let herself be picked up by the first stranger to find a bed for the night. 

I think it was spur of the moment, she was planning something but the slap just triggered her to action.

But this is only a minor inconsistency if compared to the fact that this woman is introduced as a woman in career, who does a job for which she musrt have fought harshly but put everything at risk for a drug scheme.

She's a telemarketer, a con woman basically, not exactly a career, more a knack.

And  she married a loser.....why did she marry him at all? 

He's a Doctor not exactly a looser.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »

I think it was spur of the moment, she was planning something but the slap just triggered her to action.

Yes, she's a ruthless schemer who acts on the spur of the moment.

She's a telemarketer, a con woman basically, not exactly a career, more a knack.

Sure, she's been given handling a dozen people only because she beds her boss. (I can make wild assumptions too)

He's a Doctor not exactly a looser.

Not exactly a loser but one who owes 100.000 to sharpies, who arranges a trade in which he suddenly realizes he can be killed (and why he is not killed is everybody's guess) and who, apparently, doesn't know who's been living with (for years?). A very perceptive mind.

Joe, we can go on discussing this for hours but you won't ever be able to persuade me there is a mite of logic in the characters and the plot. You are fascinated (like the other ones here) by the fast changes of storyline and behaviour not counting what we have known about the story and the characters only 5 minutes before.  OK, if you like it like this I can't convince you otherwise.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 03:33:25 AM »

Not exactly a loser but one who owes 100.000 to sharpies, who arranges a trade in which he suddenly realizes he can be killed (and why he is not killed is everybody's guess) and who, apparently, doesn't know who's been living with (for years?). A very perceptive mind.

Are you sure, watch it again, he's getting paid for a drug deal, he doesn't owe them any money

Joe, we can go on discussing this for hours but you won't ever be able to persuade me there is a mite of logic in the characters and the plot. You are fascinated (like the other ones here) by the fast changes of storyline and behaviour not counting what we have known about the story and the characters only 5 minutes before.  OK, if you like it like this I can't convince you otherwise.

There isn't a lot of logic in film noir.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 04:53:39 AM »

Are you sure, watch it again, he's getting paid for a drug deal, he doesn't owe them any money

Fiorentino, after having got rid of the PI, calls him and makes some kind of a deal promising the $100.000 and 10.000 for the P.I.

There isn't a lot of logic in film noir.

Particularly this one.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM