Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 01:17:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How do Angel Eyes and Tuco know each other
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do Angel Eyes and Tuco know each other  (Read 23931 times)
mortimerforever
Gunslinger

when you have to shoot shoot don''''t talk

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2004, 01:08:53 PM »

This bit confuses me. In the camp Tuco recognises Angel Eyes and later adresses him as an old friend. How do they know each other?

I'm here with your old friend Angel Eyes.

tuco ramirez number01 fan.
''''''''two kinds of spurs my friend.''''''''
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »

An old "job" together?

Each one for himself, and God against all.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 06:18:51 PM »

That is a back story that we never got told.... and before the camp Angel Eyes knows who Tuco is, so with our Leone expertice lets make up a plausible scenario.

Go over all his crimes and see if any dovetail into Angel Eye's MO.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 06:20:47 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 09:25:03 PM »

"Birds of a feather" as they say. Three outlaws in the same general geographical area its safe to say they have had some sort of dealings in the past.

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 04:44:42 PM »

there's also the assumption that Blondie knows Angel Eyes too - and that Tuco knows that Blondie knows Angel Eyes.  Angel Eyes also believes that Blondie wouldn't talk given the 'same treatment'.  I've often wondered if there was a missing scene somewhere.  Fair enough if Angel Eyes knows Blondie and Tuco from seperate jobs in the past, but when tuco says 'Hey look Blondie its Angel Eyes' in the camp when B & T didn't know each other at the beginning of the film doesn't follow.  Unless they were talking about him on the journey from the monastry to being captured.  Just another continuation thing I guess ....

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 05:56:35 PM »

One more thing to consider: at Tuco's second "hanging," Angel Eyes tells a woman onlooker that men with ropes around their necks don't always hang. Then he mentions that Tuco has a guardian angel, in fact, a golden-haired one. Obviously, Angel Eyes knows all about their con: but how? Since they only began pulling it after they met, Angel Eyes must have witnessed the routine somewhere during the course of the events depicted in the film. The only way to account for this, it seems to me, is with a missing scene.....

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 04:27:01 PM »

i think it is one of the great ideas in this film: sergio let us know that the characters know each other. How? We don't know. Sergio doesn't know, and i think Luciano Vincenzoni doesn't know too. It is just a way to make the audience enter in the movie in an active way, and that brings also three good points:
1) it shows that behind this movie, there is a coherent (is it realy an english word?) univers, even if actually... there is nothing
2) that brings a mystery, which makes us talking and talking about it... forty years after the film.
3) there is two kinds of people... people that know each other, that are the main characters, who are the strongest, faster, that won't die before the last 5 minutes... AND people who are in the movie for 1 or 2 scenes (and die after that). In fact, that put blondie, tuco and angel ON THE TOP, in a very closed circle, in which very few people are admited... (shorty tryed... and in this movie with so much hanging scene, he's the only one to be killed like that).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
nero-corbucci
Road Apple

Duck you sucker!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 02:26:41 PM »

I couldn't agree more with the assumption that the characters were scripted to interact in a world where the "best" know each other personally or are, at least, aware of one anothers reputations, but I'm forced to wonder if the novelization by Joe Millard (which I have never read, or even heard of until I caught it in another thread) takes the time to construct a backstory for these characters and their relationship, as the only one with even a hint of a past in the flick is Tuco...

The aformentioned thread (in collectibles, I think... I've been reading for hours  Wink) mentioned that the GBU novel begins with the ambush on Bill Carson and his mates... interesting to say the least.

"God's not on our side 'cause he hates idiots also."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 06:51:01 AM »

If you think about it the initial enactment of the Blondie/Tuco scam would have had tounges wagging and the story of some stranger freeing Tuco and aiding in his escape would have spread about the territory.

Only the good townsfolk would not necessarily put two and two together and realize that it was Blondie that freed Tuco, they would assume it was a member of Tuco's gang.

Angel Eyes being outside the law and a schemer himself  probably deduced this especially if he knows of both Tuco's and Blondie's reputations.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 01:53:59 AM »

Actuallly I think it works great with just the insinuations of former dealings ... it creates a "mythical" and timeless atmosphere around the characters ... and the scene with Angel Eyes and the Golden Haired Angel shows us that Angel Eyes is very very clever and observant... and cool. This hanging scheme is none of his business, he just takes off, knowing whats gonna happen.  Cool

Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 06:22:50 AM »

I think that all three know each other. They are all expert gunslingers, and I reckon these people kept track of one another.

But I don't think they have had any "dealings" in the past, not worked together anyway. They don't mix well, which this story bears out very clearly.

They might even have shared a bottle somewhere along the line, but it is to me obvious that they never had partipicated in anything where money was at stake before.  

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 06:23:17 AM by Walter » Logged

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
The Gentleman Killer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »

One more thing to consider: at Tuco's second "hanging," Angel Eyes tells a woman onlooker that men with ropes around their necks don't always hang. Then he mentions that Tuco has a guardian angel, in fact, a golden-haired one. Obviously, Angel Eyes knows all about their con: but how? Since they only began pulling it after they met, Angel Eyes must have witnessed the routine somewhere during the course of the events depicted in the film. The only way to account for this, it seems to me, is with a missing scene.....

Perhaps Tuco and Angel Eyes pulled similar jobs before?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 09:44:59 PM »

An interesting idea. Afro

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 03:51:01 AM »

I just hope that you all are right, and that Leone done that intentionaly, because I`m afraid that maybe "the fingers of studios  Evil" were implicated once again, and that they once again butchered the scenes and the movie...  Cry

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »

No, if SL ever intended to include such explanatory material, he never shot it. Did he exclude such things intentionally, though, or did he just run out of time or ideas? We may never know. Anyway,I rather like the fact that some things aren't explained; we can provide our own explanations, it's part of the fun.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM