Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 01:15:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How do Angel Eyes and Tuco know each other
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do Angel Eyes and Tuco know each other  (Read 23883 times)
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »

It was clearly not explained purposely. As we all know, Sergio absolutely loved American Cinema but his only complaint was that they told to much. Sergio always kept things from us in most of his films. He left certain things out to try and figure it out ourselves. There was no mistake here, you could almost guarantee it.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »

tHE only unanswered question about a plot point in a  Leone film that ever bothered me (sorta like Columbo) LOL!
I naively thought that the expanded Italian version would fill in the answer>

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 09:00:29 PM »

Well you know the expression "as thick as thieves" I just assume their paths crossed in "Arizona".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 01:16:47 AM »

No, if SL ever intended to include such explanatory material, he never shot it. Did he exclude such things intentionally, though, or did he just run out of time or ideas? We may never know. Anyway,I rather like the fact that some things aren't explained; we can provide our own explanations, it's part of the fun.

O.K. then. If we take this to be true, then I would say that in my opinion Angel Eyes and Tuco know each other personaly from the past, and of course, that Tuco and Blondie know each other (because they pulling their con from the begining of the film), but I think that Angel Eyes and Blondie don`t know each other personaly or at least, that they haven`t had much "contact" one with another. For me it`s bigger chance that they know each other just by reputation or just lightly, because if they were together (for some job or something...) somewhere and sometimes in the past, these kind of man - at the same place, at the same time, especially when money is involved - highly unlikely that they all would be alive till the begining of this film story (at the end of the film we saw what happens when you put these people together...).

One more thing to consider: at Tuco's second "hanging," Angel Eyes tells a woman onlooker that men with ropes around their necks don't always hang. Then he mentions that Tuco has a guardian angel, in fact, a golden-haired one. Obviously, Angel Eyes knows all about their con: but how? Since they only began pulling it after they met, Angel Eyes must have witnessed the routine somewhere during the course of the events depicted in the film. The only way to account for this, it seems to me, is with a missing scene.....

Angel Eyes knew about their con but he didn`t instantly said "golden-haired angel". He was first looking around and when he saw Blondie, then he said that to the woman.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:22:43 AM by Bill Carson » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 07:19:54 AM »

Check through the "I got the timeline down" we covered a lot of this there.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
roger_d
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »

This question has nawed at me for a long time too. I truely thing there's a scene missing and we may see it sometime in the future.

Another question i have is when  they were in the camp and tuco tells blondie "Look its Angel Eyes". Blondie squints and if he knows Angel Eyes and says yeah, and something to the effect that "you better be Carson".

There's got to be something missing.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 11:58:12 AM by roger_d » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »

There's got to be something missing.

You just have to have imagination.

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »

Perhaps Tuco and Angel Eyes pulled similar jobs before?

So why doesn't Angle Eyes have a price on his head that Blondie would be after..Huh?

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »

maybe he's smarter than Tuco, which wouldn't be a stretch, no?

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 09:33:06 AM »

Oh... If the Master did a film about AE and Tuco... "early days" (including a few of Blondie, too)...

It should have included a third main charakter, of course somebody from the earlier films Smiley  should die because AE's hour hadn't come yet...
Lots of great adventures...

"Does this unit have a soul?"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 09:40:18 AM »

It should have included a third main charakter, of course somebody from the earlier films Smiley  should die because AE's hour hadn't come yet...
The third Mortimer brother?  Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 09:57:33 AM »

The third Mortimer brother?  Grin

Why not?  Grin Probably the third brother died by AE's hands...
Either he or a third "GMV-as-an-evil-mexican-bandit" charakter.  Grin

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:59:30 AM by Jill » Logged

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 01:11:43 PM »

The Bad and The Ugly obviously know each other because they're both Super-Awesome Gunslingers (along with The Good, Harmonica, Frank, and others), and so there reputations succeed them. Obviously.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »

Yeah, but Frank and Harmonica do not exist in the same space-time continuum occupied by the GBU characters. The GBU West is like our own (American Civil War, etc.), but the OUATITW West is very different (no Golden Spike, a single private railroad building a transcontinental line from east to west, etc.) I speculate that what accounts for these differences is that there was no Civil War in the OUATITW world; this resulted in a longer States Rights period, making interstate issues thornier, slowing progress and modernization generally. Perhaps the events in OUATITW even occur as late as 1968......

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 01:44:11 PM »

Yeah, but Frank and Harmonica do not exist in the same space-time continuum occupied by the GBU characters.
It'd be cool if they did.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM