Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:29:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  So what happens after Sadhill parting?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what happens after Sadhill parting?  (Read 2070 times)
Rudra
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:09 PM »

I have often watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly right till the last of the credits. I have often wondered, that we, as audience, leave the movie thinking better days are ahead for Blondie, who will probably give up his bounty hunter career and take up some more "acceptable" occupation such as that of a city-based businessman or a farmer and will probably marry and start a family. While, we all can agree that Tuco went about recklessly spending money on gambling, wine and prostitutes and was soon back to his old ways. This is what most of us assume about the characters of Blondie and Tuco long after the film ends.

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have come to the conclusion that neither Blondie nor Tuco get to enjoy their spoils and unfortunately for both of them, as they both are killed by adversaries (like hoards of army deserters, bandit groups etc) on their journey to wherever they were going. Why do I think of it this way? Here is 'why'. I think the stolen confederate gold is "cursed". Whoever had any association with it, gets killed, sooner or later. Steven and Baker get killed by Angel Eyes, while Carson's group is ambushed and he dies a much wretched death, dying of thirst that is. Angel Eyes' gang is killed by Blondie and Tuco and Angel Eyes meets his own end, which seems pretty much to be his own making. So, if we look at it, anyone who was associated with that "cursed" money died an unnatural death. Tuco's beating and escape from the hands of Wallace can be explained by the fact that he was being taken to the gallows and hence the effect of the curse had somewhat "waned" for him. But once he gets back on the track, numerous attempts are made on his life by "one armed" bounty hunter (Al Muloch) and Angel Eyes' gang. This is followed by them getting caught in between the Confederate and Union crossfire. Soon after this Angel Eyes is sent to his grave and then both Tuco and Blondie meet their ultimate fate long after the movie has finished.

I am not a believer of curses, supernatural, ghosts etc. I have started this thread just for the sake of seeing how other members see my interpretation and do they agree with this "gold haunted by a curse" scenario. Please feel free to offer your thoughts and other ideas that you might have.

Thank you
R

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:17:25 AM »

Correlation is not causation. Those who go after the gold are already in high risk occupations (soldiers and bounty hunters). They are likely to die early regardless. For whatever reason, illicit fortunes do not attract people from safer occupations (merchants, insurance adjusters, Leone Board posters).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »

Correlation is not causation. Those who go after the gold are already in high risk occupations (soldiers and bounty hunters). They are likely to die early regardless. For whatever reason, illicit fortunes do not attract people from safer occupations (merchants, insurance adjusters, Leone Board posters).
Blondie /Manco is is in a high risk occupation you either win and survive or you are dead ...Thats why they get the money that most people would take at least 3 years to earn (fOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE )

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:50:54 AM »

Dont remember any mention of anyone dying BEFORE the gold was stolen..ie when it was being used to fund the war....was it not cursed then.......the Yankees won didn't they, or was it Confederate Gold...I forget

Then again there were thousands killed in the war so maybe the gold did contribute to the death of many....

Dont think Blondie would ever get killed....too smart.

ICE

ps Carson might have been thirsty but didn't he die of gun shot wound?

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 06:26:45 PM »

I just thought Blondie rode off and enjoyed his spoils ......Tuco would have to kill again in order to obtain horse to get cash bags away.....I dont read anything else into it...

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:42 AM »

When I was a kid watching this during the summer holidays I used to imagine a ladies voiceover, in dull BBC style, saying what happened. I could only imagine that they both returned to similar lifestyles.

Blondie would be bored living in retirement and Tuco would blow all his on hookers and gambling - and then start killing people again!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM