Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:14:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Call Northside 777 (1948)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Call Northside 777 (1948)  (Read 3184 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2011, 05:52:32 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040202/

Call Northside 777 (1948) 8.5/10

James Stewart, in one of his finest performances, plays a Chicago reporter who seeks to vindicate a man who has been prison for 11 years on a murder conviction. Based on a true story.

Cast (courtesy of imdb)

James Stewart    ...   Jim McNeal
    Richard Conte    ...   Frank W. Wiecek
    Lee J. Cobb    ...   Brian Kelly
    Helen Walker    ...   Laura McNeal
    Betty Garde    ...   Wanda Skutnik
    Kasia Orzazewski    ...   Tillie Wiecek
    Joanne De Bergh    ...   Helen Wiecek (as Joanne de Bergh)
    Howard Smith    ...   K.L. Palmer
    Moroni Olsen    ...   Parole Board Chairman
    John McIntire    ...   Sam Faxon
    Paul Harvey    ...   Martin J. Burns

------------------------------------------------------------------

titoli http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg127109#msg127109

Call Northside 777 - This is one of the few cases where my initial judgment of a movie must be revised. I remembered this as a taut, gritty suspense movie, instead is good only until Conte takes the truth test. After that it becomes verbose, overstretched and goofy (this happens when technology is made the protagonist). Actors under par, actresses good. 5\10

--------------------------------------------

cigar joe: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg135335#msg135335
Call Northside 777 (1948)  Basically a woman places an ad in the Chicago Times offering a $5,000 reward for information that will exonerate her son Richard Conti, the newspaper assigns Jimmy Stewart to look into case. Great cinematography of the seedier parts of Chicago circa 1948. 7/10

(Note: cigar joe revised his opinion below after a second viewing)
-----------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:23:04 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:22:35 PM »

I found this one visually dull, overlong and horrendously paced (Hathaway trademarks).

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »

I found this one visually dull, overlong and horrendously paced (Hathaway trademarks).

I am the most impatient guy in the world re: movies that move too slowly. That is the single worst thing for me; I can't tell you how many (famous and supposedly all-time great) movies I shut off in the first 20 minutes cuz I couldn't take how slow it was. And I did not find any such problems with Call Northside 777

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:49:54 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »

Can't say that I think that Hathaway had any pacing problems in any of his films. Which films do you mean?

Of course I haven't seen all of his stuff, and of course he did some shit in his long career, but his best films are very well paced imo.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »

It had a clever ending (as in proving the innocence) but everything dragged to that point. It lacks any soul, as vague of a criticism as that is.

As for Hathaway, I don't care for this movie, The Dark Corner, Kiss of Death, Fourteen Hours, Niagra (I should give this another shot though) and The Sons of Katie Elder (maybe I'm forgetting others) and believe that they all have pacing issues and bland visuals - even the noir films.

True Grit is okay and I do like North to Alaska.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »

It had a clever ending (as in proving the innocence) but everything dragged to that point. It lacks any soul, as vague of a criticism as that is.

As for Hathaway, I don't care for this movie, The Dark Corner, Kiss of Death, Fourteen Hours, Niagra (I should give this another shot though) and The Sons of Katie Elder (maybe I'm forgetting others) and believe that they all have pacing issues and bland visuals - even the noir films.

True Grit is okay and I do like North to Alaska.

The only movies I saw on this list are The Sons of Katie Elder and True Grit, and I did not like either.

John Wayne is always good, but in True Grit, Darby and Campbell are annoying. TSOKE starts out with you believing this could be good, but somehow just never puts it together, and toward the end, you are just waiting for it to end. And I could never stand Earl Holliman.... Even aside from the acting, neither movie is that compelling...

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 03:26:52 AM »

But especially Katie Elder and True Grit are very well paced films, and they look great. The tense Rawhide is another very well paced and looking film (now in b/w).

The problems of his bad films (Legend of the Lost, 5 Card Stud) or his routine stuff (Niagara, Circus World) lies also not in the pacing or in the general look of these films but in the mediocre script material. And even if he (rarely) failed to made the best of good material, like in Garden of Evil, it wasn't for the pacing of that particular film. And the photography and the landscape is often stunning in Garden of Evil.

I'm surprised that you view Hathaway that negative.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 04:36:35 AM »

Call Northside 777 (1948) Directed by Henry Hathaway with James Stewart, Richard Conte, Lee J. Cobb, & Helen Walker.  Based on a true story, a man, Conte, is accused of killing a cop by an eye witness who ran a speakeasy in the 30's, he's convicted and sent up for life, his mother washes floors for 11 years and saves enough money to run a Chicago Times newspaper add offering a reward to who ever can identify the real killer.

This interests the newspaper to assign Stewart to write a story about the add, which in turn, after Stewart interviews Conte's mother, starts Stewart on a crusade to refute the dubious eye witness testimony. This is an entertaining story supposedly filmed where ever possible at the actual Chicago locations where the events took place. Lots of great interior and exterior location shots around Chicago give the film a very gritty feel.

Another top notch noir from the Fox Film Noir Collection 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »

Sure you're not thinking of another Hathaway?

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:41 PM »

But especially Katie Elder and True Grit are very well paced films, and they look great. The tense Rawhide is another very well paced and looking film (now in b/w).

The problems of his bad films (Legend of the Lost, 5 Card Stud) or his routine stuff (Niagara, Circus World) lies also not in the pacing or in the general look of these films but in the mediocre script material. And even if he (rarely) failed to made the best of good material, like in Garden of Evil, it wasn't for the pacing of that particular film. And the photography and the landscape is often stunning in Garden of Evil.

I'm surprised that you view Hathaway that negative.

Katie Elder felt four hours long, but I agree that True Grit moves at a decent clip. That and North to Alaska are the exceptions imo.

I don't think there is anything distinct about Hathaway's style. His work seems lazy and a bit hapless. He's like a rich man's Andrew McLaglen.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »

Well "a rich man's" anything implies some quality. Hathaway's certainly not an auteur but a good director of action.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »

Where's my review, cj?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »

Where's my review, cj?

perhaps you posted it in the Film Noir Discussion Thread? i don't recall seeing it here in this thread.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 06:32:53 AM »

Where's my review, cj?

Its the first one that pops up at the bottom link on the first post  Afro

What we did was create a new post for each new Noir, films noir that originally were randomly discussed in the Film Noir & DVD thread were linked together with a hyperlink at the bottom of each.  Example You (titoli) would review Call Northside 777, somebody may comment immediately, or more common a few posts later somebody would comment then someone would answer a few posts later  so the discussion was all over the map.

So we linked those posts into that alternate discussion thread so if you keep clicking the links you can follow that discussion. We are going to try keeping up on any posts that review films that don't have a new topic and create one for it.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:22:25 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »

Groggy,

Just re-post your review here

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM