Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 06:32:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mickey One (1965)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mickey One (1965)  (Read 166 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »

This could have been a great crime movie. That's what the first 10 minutes let one hope for. Instead Penn veered toward a poor man's Antonioni kinda flick which is based on little and that little makes  little sense. So Beatty finds a work as a comic in a two-bit club and what he does next? Finds himself an agent he doesn't need. Of course the agent is needed to make the little plot there is move to the next phase. And there one doesn't understand why Beatty doesn't leave Chicago: what has he got to lose? Penn is not even aided by mediocre Beatty but only by the score. I give it 7/10 for those first 10 minutes, but it is not a movie I'll rewatch.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:36:28 PM »

This could have been a great crime movie. That's what the first 10 minutes let one hope for. Instead Penn veered toward a poor man's Antonioni kinda flick which is based on little and that little makes  little sense. So Beatty finds a work as a comic in a two-bit club and what he does next? Finds himself an agent he doesn't need. Of course the agent is needed to make the little plot there is move to the next phase. And there one doesn't understand why Beatty doesn't leave Chicago: what has he got to lose? Penn is not even aided by mediocre Beatty but only by the score. I give it 7/10 for those first 10 minutes, but it is not a movie I'll rewatch.

I wouldn't even be that generous 6/10 is more like it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »

I wouldn't even be that generous 6/10 is more like it.

I said that my rating is because of  the first ten minutes, otherwise I'd give it 5/10, or even less.

noirjoe
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »

I liked it better than you guys because I am a big Antonioni fan. Although this certainly doesn't rise to the master's standards, it had some of his touches. I also found it nicely photographed and rather noirish looking. 7.5/10.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM