Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2018, 04:21:13 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tension (1949)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Tension (1949)  ( 2847 )
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #15 : March 28, 2017, 05:46:26 AM »

Unfortunately Charisse never got to play a femme fatale.

Not quite the same but Cyd Charisse plays a femme fatale in the final dance sequence of 'The Band Wagon'... And she is HOT in that number.

I should rewatch 'Tension', I enjoyed it quite a bit the last time I saw it (rated it 8/10 on IMDb), but tbh I hardly remember Charisse's part in the movie, mostly Audrey Totter ('Driffft') and Richard Basehart.
Totter was perfect for film noir, and to me she's quite beautiful too (and simply irresistible in 'Lady In The Lake')...

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #16 : March 28, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »

Dude, I think we're just not on the same page. I think Totter had all the goods, and so did Stanwyck. In fact Stanwyck is one of my all-time favorites. She was not classically beautiful, but she was damn sexy, even when she was older. As opposed to Crawford and Davis. But then I'm not sure where your priorities lie. :) Can't argue about taste. I think Stanwyck was one hell of an actress, as opposed to Lana. Yes, Lana won an Oscar, but that doesn't mean anything. And I like Lana.

I don't agree with Lana either about Garfield. Nothing wrong with him as far as I can tell.  :D But my tastes seem to differ from other women too.

Turner did not win an Oscar. She was nominated (once, for PEYTON PLACE).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

« #17 : March 28, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »

Oops, d & d, my mistake.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #18 : May 28, 2017, 01:32:37 AM »

Eddie Muller's introductory and closing comments to a recent showing of this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBROz7jpUAM

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Moorman

« #19 : November 18, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »

I don't know why this movie isn't more popular than it is. ( I feel the same thing about Scarlet Street). Its also hard to find. Amazon has it bookmarked with another movie as a double feature.  Again, why this movie is not popular is beyond me. It reminds me of Double Indemnity.  It has fantastic cinematography. A fantastic plot. Fantastic directing. I'm gonna order this very soon. I rate this a SOLID 8 out of 10...

« : November 18, 2017, 04:03:54 PM Moorman »
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #20 : November 18, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »

I don't know why this movie isn't more popular than it is. ( I feel the same thing about Scarlet Street). Its also hard to find. Amazon has it bookmarked with another movie as a double feature).  Again, why this movie is not popular is beyond me. It reminds me of Double Indemnity.  It has fantastic cinematography. A fantastic plot. Fantastic directing. I'm gonna order this very soon. I rate this a SOLID 8 out of 10...

Itís a double feature because it is part of a 10-film noir boxset. 5 discs, 2 films on each disc. You can buy the discs individually, hence the double feature. Plenty of good noirs are in these boxsets, and therefore as double features. Donít take it as a denigration  ;)

p.s. I think SCARLET STREET is pretty highly regarded. It fell into the public domain and therefore for a while was available on some very poor DVDs, but it has now had a beautiful Blu-ray release.

p.p.s. IMO, THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW is better than SCARLET STREET. And TWITW has still not been released on Blu-ray  >:(

Moorman

« #21 : November 18, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »

Itís a double feature because it is part of a 10-film noir boxset. 5 discs, 2 films on each disc. You can buy the discs individually, hence the double feature. Plenty of good noirs are in these boxsets, and therefore as double features. Donít take it as a denigration  ;)

p.s. I think SCARLET STREET is pretty highly regarded. It fell into the public domain and therefore for a while was available on some very poor DVDs, but it has now had a beautiful Blu-ray release.

p.p.s. IMO, THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW is better than SCARLET STREET. And TWITW has still not been released on Blu-ray  >:(

I saw it bookmarked with one other film. I did't know it was part of a box set, unless we are talking about the same thing.  I did read where the same 3 main characters were in The Woman in The Window.  I have it on my to get list also. If its better than Scarlet Street like you said, its gonna be a great movie.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

« #22 : November 18, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »

Moorman, this is the boxset. It's really worth it. Seems to be discontinued though now which is a shame.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Collection-Violence-Mystery-Illegal/dp/B000PKG7DE/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1511047899&sr=1-5&keywords=Film+Noir+Classic+Collection%3A+Volume

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Moorman

« #23 : November 18, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »

Moorman, this is the boxset. It's really worth it. Seems to be discontinued though now which is a shame.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Collection-Violence-Mystery-Illegal/dp/B000PKG7DE/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1511047899&sr=1-5&keywords=Film+Noir+Classic+Collection%3A+Volume

Thanks for the link to that. I've seen double features on Amazon, but didn't know about the boxsets...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #24 : November 18, 2017, 05:16:02 PM »

drinkanddestroy doesn't know shit from shinola, he probably doesn't even know shinola. Scarlet Street is superior.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Moorman

« #25 : January 29, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »

Itís a double feature because it is part of a 10-film noir boxset. 5 discs, 2 films on each disc. You can buy the discs individually, hence the double feature. Plenty of good noirs are in these boxsets, and therefore as double features. Donít take it as a denigration  ;)

p.p.s. IMO, THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW is better than SCARLET STREET. And TWITW has still not been released on Blu-ray  >:(

Your recent comment about " Where Danger LIves "  brought these comments back.  Yes, Scarlett Street is highly regarded and a fantastic movie.  I've seen The Woman in the Window since this comment. Its a great movie, but the ending was about as bad as the ending of The Killing.  The movie this thread is about, " Tension ", i still feel is a very, very underrated film noir. I think its spectacular.  

« : January 29, 2018, 04:45:35 PM Moorman »
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #26 : January 29, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »

Should we merge the two threads for this movie?

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11044.msg164763#msg164763

Edit: Thanks for merging the threads, Joe.

« : January 31, 2018, 07:58:02 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #27 : January 30, 2018, 03:47:21 AM »

Done O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #28 : January 30, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11044.msg164763#msg164763

The page you linked to was the first page of this very thread

Moorman

« #29 : January 30, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »

I was confused as well. I could've sworn this had only one thread because i keep harping on how its a underrated film.

« : January 30, 2018, 12:52:40 PM Moorman »
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines