Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 10, 2022, 01:44:49 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Reconstructing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: What's out-of-sync in last scene?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Reconstructing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: What's out-of-sync in last scene?  ( 5364 )
Lil Brutto
Bounty Killer

« : December 06, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »

In the documentary, “Reconstructing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”, Paul Rutan, Jr of Triage Labs states that the last scene where Tuco yells, “Hey, Blondie...you know what you are? Just a dirty son of a...!”, was "entirely out of sync" and that it was out of sync in the print versions of the 1980’s as well.

Yet previous home releases (laserdisc, 1999 MGM DVD, which I presume are transfers of early prints of the film) have no sync issues and appear to be no different than the SE DVD/BD.

So…what the heck was he going on about?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Lil Brutto
Bounty Killer

« #1 : December 08, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »

No bites?

I wonder if Triage was trying to sync the english soundtrack with the Italian cut of the film where Eli is screaming the line in Italian?

Who knows? I wouldn't put anything past these guys. After all, he incorrectly thinks Tuco yells, "I know who you are!". It's, "You know what you are?" Big difference, pal.  >:(

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : December 08, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »

No bites?

I wonder if Triage was trying to sync the english soundtrack with the Italian cut of the film where Eli is screaming the line in Italian?

Who knows? I wouldn't put anything past these guys. After all, he incorrectly thinks Tuco yells, "I know who you are!". It's, "You know what you are?" Big difference, pal.  >:(

It could be that sure. Or maybe they think the soundtrack is not supposed to partially drown out Eli when it comes in.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lil Brutto
Bounty Killer

« #3 : December 08, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »

It could be that sure. Or maybe they think the soundtrack is not supposed to partially drown out Eli when it comes in.

That's even worse! lol!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : December 08, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »

That's even worse! lol!

But that is the way I remember it,  seeing it on Times Square in 1968.  O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lil Brutto
Bounty Killer

« #5 : December 08, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »

Sorry, what I meant is they're even more incompetent than I thought if they didn't think the soundtrack should drown out Eli's voice.

« : December 08, 2011, 10:12:20 PM Honest Farmer »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #6 : December 09, 2011, 04:26:00 AM »

Sorry, what I meant is they're even more incompetent than I thought if they didn't think the soundtrack should drown out Eli's voice.

OK I misunderstood,

The clint
Gunslinger

« #7 : December 19, 2011, 02:53:41 PM »

Correct! The Italian cut used an alternate take of the shot in which Wallach was yelling the lines in Italian. I guess it was shot twice because in such a close-up the dubbing would be too obvious. Apparently the English language cut of the film (with the english main titles, character intros, tuco yelling and final "The End" shot) has only survived in dupe form (the massive drop in print quality during the character intros is due to this) and Triage seems to have tried to match the italian print to the English dialogue. In the end however, they went for the English language shot, even though there's no mention of it in the docu. You can see the Italian shot at the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd_4NqueL5c&feature=related

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines