Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 10:15:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  12-25-11 HAPPY 65th BIRTHDAY Christopher Frayling!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12-25-11 HAPPY 65th BIRTHDAY Christopher Frayling!  (Read 882 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:55:30 PM »

So, I was just glancing at Frayling's bio, and saw that he was born on 12/25/06 -- (ok, I'm a day or 2 late, so what  Wink)

Happy 65th Birthday to a great man who truly opened the world of Sergio Leone to us all. I shudder to think where we'd be without him, and the amazing research he has done on the great director. Not only is he THE definitive authority on Sergio Leone, but he was also the first to acknowledge and reach out to the Master, at a time when he -- and Spaghetti Westerns in general -- were not taken seriously.

In the Cinema Retro Magazine's special Dollars Trilogy issue, Frayling writes an introduction. Toward the end, he says, of Leone:

And yet he has often proven difficult for critics to categorise: art films or popular films; genre films or personal films; tragedies or comedies; American myths ot (sic) Italian sources; Hollywood or Cinecitta. Perhaps for this reason, when I wrote my first serious article about Leone in 1968, no-one I knew was prepared to take his work seriously. I seemed to be a lone voice crying in the wilderness. By the time I published my three books - "Spaghetti Westerns," "Something to do with Death," and "Once Upon a Time in Italy - critics were beginning to reappraise his contribution. At last! Sergio's widow Carla Leone once came up to me, at the opening of the Calle Sergio Leone in Almeria, and said, "You were the first, and for that I'll always be grateful." She was right, and it was a wonderful moment.

Today, when anything to do with Leone is happening, Frayling is almost always involved -- whether with film commentaries, documentaries, or magazine special. No work on Leone can be complete without Frayling's participation. And anytime someone else does anything -- eg. write a magazine piece, a book, or do an audio commentary, etc. -- he invariably refers to Frayling's works. Frayling is truly The Master on all things The Master  Smiley

For that, I say "Bravo," and "Thank You!" May God grant you good health and longevity  Afro

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:09:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:54:10 AM »

Yes, he did a lot for the reputation of Leone in the English speaking part of the world. But without him maybe another one would have written a similar book, but maybe not as pleasurable.

And if you ask me where would I be without his books. At the same point. Leone was a visual and narrative genius for me long before I read Frayling's first book, and the films are what they are with or without any book about them.

Anyway, I always enjoyed reading his books, especially STDWD. Have a long live amigo.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:56:24 AM by stanton » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:29:50 AM »

Happy Birth Day!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM