Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:54:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  First Viewing of FAFDM
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Viewing of FAFDM  (Read 1811 times)
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »

You guessed it, again taped off the telly in the very late 80's.
I preferred this to AFOD. I clearly welcomed Lee Van Cleef having loved him in GBU and I enjoyed the chemistry between his and Eastwood's character. I also liked the Jew's Harp twanging effects, the hunchback, Indio, the whore in the bath, the big t1tted hotel bird and all those small part actors that I recognised from the other 2 films.

It was better developed than AFOD in it's direction and vision. A natural progression for Leone I guess.

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be a review of any kind....

What was your first viewing?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »

I discussed my initial viewing of each of the Dollars films here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11098.msg153541#msg153541

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:18:27 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:49:19 AM »

As stated in other thread, double-feature with Fistful in late 1968 or early 1969 after seeing GBU.  In Phoenix, great old downtown Fox Theater with balcony, hot dogs for sale, etc., unfortunately long-gone now.

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »

Good thread.

For me it was when I was 11 or 12 years old - nearly 25 years ago! ouch!
They showed the trilogy on the telly over 3 nights at christmas.
Christmas eve was GBU; Christmas day was FOD; and finally on Boxing day night it was FAFDM.

They were shown quite late, around 11pm/midnight, so like you I had to VHS those badboys.

Glad I did!

I'd never seen films like them and they were the first films to actually affect me beyond just entertainment, and the first to introduce me to the presence of motifs and metaphors in cinema.
All the Westerns I had seen prior to these had always been clean-cut "cowboys against indians", John Wayne etc...
Nothing wrong with that per se but these films and specifically "For A Few Dollars More" (my favourite of the 3, and to this day easily in my top 5 films of all time) really struck home.

It was the character of Indio, his music and the connection to Mortimer that haunted me most - I even remember wondering if it was ok to feel sympathy for a child-killing psychopath!

Ended up a bit obsessed with the film for a while, and watched it every day for the next month I'm sure, and about once a week after that until the tape was wrecked and unwatchable. Yes I had very patient parents!

I consider this film as a pivotal event in my life, as important as the first time I heard the Jimi Hendrix Experience and as mind-blowing as the first time I saw the paintings of Francis Bacon and Goya. It also led me onto Kurosawa and Herzog (through Klaus Kinski) and broke my painter's block.

Anyway, to cut it short I agree with you Dirty Rat...
And it was a very merry Christmas in '87.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:30:43 AM by El_Chuncho » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »

no doubt, Indio is the greatest villain in the history of the Western.

What's awesome about him is how thoroughly evil he is, and you don't sympathize with him a bit, yet you just love watching him.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:30:55 PM »

FAFDM was also a major turning point for my life with Leone's movies.

As i discussed in previous posts, the first Leone movie I saw was GBU, whoch I loved, so I decided to see the first 2 Dollars films, but I did not like FOD the first time I saw it. So I decided to see FAFDM anyway; (if I would not have liked it, I probably would have never watched any of Leone's other films, figuring he was just a one-hit wonder with GBU!) But I absolutely LOVED FAFDM; and that it really what made me realize Leone was something special. Anyone can make one great movie, but after seeing FAFDM and realizing that Leone had made 2 masterpieces, that is what really made me decide to watch all his films. Of course, today I regard ALL of Leone's films as masterpieces; but since FAFDM was the second Leone film that I regarded as a masterpiece at the time I saw it, that really made me realize how awesome Leone was.

I don't like rating Leone's movies against each other; each is unique in its own way. BUt FAFDM will always hold a very, very special place in my heart  Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM